First Female Coach

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BellevueBuc

First Female Coach

Post by BellevueBuc »

002B39032B36272D2102212C214E0 wrote: Do other MLB teams have female coaches?? I think the 49ers have the only female coach in the NFL.
One has to wonder what an ex-softball player can teach young baseball players that an ex-baseball player cannot.

I hope this isn't a politicial hire.

Tell me you are a misogynist without saying you are a misogynist.

Maybe try reading, you don't even know what her role with the team is.
Yours is the classic name-calling response, without understanding what triggered my honest question. You need to consider the following ...

1. Callahan will coach in player development, which implies that hers is a teaching role. While she may have the requisite teaching skills the following paragraph illustrates why she may already be behind the 8-ball, so to speak.

2. As I'm sure you understand, softball is very different from baseball with regard to many skill-set areas. Aside from the obvious pitching and hitting differences, fielding and throwing skill requirements have differences because of the sizes of the respective fields, distances between the corresponding areas of the fields, and the sizes of the balls used to play the games. Therefore teaching of such skills may not have the crossover effect desired.

3. Contrast the situation in paragraph 2. with the NBA's Becky Hammond wanting to become the league's first female head coach. Aside from her great experience as an assistant coach, her having played college and pro basketball has very great value from a playing skills standpoint because the women's game is 99% the same game as the men's. All of these things combined with the fact Hammond is also a very good teacher make her a very deserving candidate.

So, Bellevue, you can take any political "incorrectness" you perceive in me right off the table. This is from a guy who would have voted for Sarah Palin had she been running for President way-back-when.

Lots of words for "I have no clue what her role is with the team, but women belong in the kitchen."

Look up driveline. That is what she is doing. She is extremely qualified. Playing baseball vs softball would have zero impact on her role.

Had nothing to do with political correctness, you were spouting off nonsense. And then doubled down. All because a women was hired.
johnfluharty

First Female Coach

Post by johnfluharty »

Her degree is in Kinesiology, the scientific study of human body movement. I imagine that's why they hired her, and the fact that she was also an athlete in college it's just a bonus.
Ecbucs

First Female Coach

Post by Ecbucs »

the Yankees have hired a woman as a minor league manager.
BellevueBuc

First Female Coach

Post by BellevueBuc »

1E38392E38285B0 wrote: the Yankees have hired a woman as a minor league manager. 

It is hilarious to me that there is a person that thinks a women is unqualified to be the Pirates analytic performance coordinator, because she played softball. The mind gymnastics that have to go on there are just too complex to understand.

Meanwhile, the premier organization in the sport has hired a woman as a hitting coach and now a manager. But the Pirates are dumb.
GreenWeenie

First Female Coach

Post by GreenWeenie »

I look at it this way. She can't be any worse. It's not as if we've set any worlds on fire recently. It might be different to me if what we've been doing has been working. Right now I'm all for seeing if it works better, and make changes IF it doesn't.
2drfischer@gmail.c

First Female Coach

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

767374727A7069747D6E68651C0 wrote: Her degree is in Kinesiology, the scientific study of human body movement.  I imagine that's why they hired her, and the fact that she was also an athlete in college it's just a bonus.

My concern is not whether she's qualified to coach/teach baseball because she's a woman, it's how young, sometimes emotionally immature men react and deal with her. If they don't respect her for what she knows and how she imparts it, the problem lies with those players, not with the fact that she's a female.
WildwoodDave2

First Female Coach

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

144254404F55454E435466414B474F4A0845260 wrote: Her degree is in Kinesiology, the scientific study of human body movement.  I imagine that's why they hired her, and the fact that she was also an athlete in college it's just a bonus.

My concern is not whether she's qualified to coach/teach baseball because she's a woman, it's how young, sometimes emotionally immature men react and deal with her.  If they don't respect her for what she knows and how she imparts it, the problem lies with those players, not with the fact that she's a female.
I'm sure there will be snide remarks, Hopefully they will stay in the locker room
Surgnbuck

First Female Coach

Post by Surgnbuck »

055345515E44545F524577505A565E5B1954370 wrote: Her degree is in Kinesiology, the scientific study of human body movement.  I imagine that's why they hired her, and the fact that she was also an athlete in college it's just a bonus.

My concern is not whether she's qualified to coach/teach baseball because she's a woman, it's how young, sometimes emotionally immature men react and deal with her.  If they don't respect her for what she knows and how she imparts it, the problem lies with those players, not with the fact that she's a female.
Doc, they're not like you, scoping out the neighbor with your binoculars mowing her lawn.
2drfischer@gmail.c

First Female Coach

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

331512070E0215030B600 wrote: Her degree is in Kinesiology, the scientific study of human body movement.  I imagine that's why they hired her, and the fact that she was also an athlete in college it's just a bonus.

Doc, they're not like you, scoping out the neighbor with your binoculars mowing her lawn.

Of course they’re like me. Men are pigs.
WildwoodDave2

First Female Coach

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

603620343B21313A372012353F333B3E7C31520 wrote: Her degree is in Kinesiology, the scientific study of human body movement.  I imagine that's why they hired her, and the fact that she was also an athlete in college it's just a bonus.

Of course they’re like me.  Men are pigs. 

For some reason that binocular story won't go away. :D