Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

pghpaulatl

Nova to White Sox

Post by pghpaulatl »

Hoping it's one of their young lefty's.
Ecbucs

Nova to White Sox

Post by Ecbucs »

I wonder if this will create an open 49 man roster space. Room for a free agent or Rule 5 pick up (hard to see Bucs doing that unless they are pretty sure about Burdi one way or the other)
MaineBucs

Nova to White Sox

Post by MaineBucs »

Well, guess I was wrong about NH solely needing to find out where to have a good meal and to take a nap.

Trading Nova is OK, but only if it is coupled with bringing a better quality starter back to Pittsburgh. While it would be a risk, if the Bucs swooped in and offered Happ 3 years, he perhaps he could be a Pirate again. Alternatively, with Morton wanting to pitch on the east coast, perhaps he would be interested in a 2 year deal and a return to the Bucs.

Also, hard for me to recognize that I am now recommending adding Happ (when I argued against the cost and length of his free agent contract when he left the Bucs) and for Morton, who was a ball of inconsistency with the Pirates. That said, they clearly are two of the better free agent pitchers who are available.

BucsFaninGA

Nova to White Sox

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Well, well Huntington may after all make our off-season something to talk about after all! Would love to see them sign JA Happ,lefty starter or use the money to make a move to acquire a SS and lefty relief. To dump salary does nothing for the team other than pad Bottom Line Bob's pockets... Beat'em Bucs 8-)
IABucFan

Nova to White Sox

Post by IABucFan »

Just my two cents, but Taillon, Williams, Archer, Musgrove should be a solid 1-4. From my fifth starter, I just want a guy who will take the ball every fifth day, eat innings, save the bullpen, and hopefully keep you in the game most of the time. Nova was great at that role. But, I also think a younger, cheaper option can fill that role. It might be Kingham. It might be Keller. It might be someone else. Regardless, $11 million or whatever it was was too much to pay a #5 starter. There are better places to put that money, IMHO.

I’d say the same about Cervelli. I like Cervelli. But, in my mind, Diaz is the better option. Independent of salaries, I want to see Diaz behind the plate 100 times next year. Francisco is overpaid to be a backup. Trade him, go with a guy like Stalllings or Lavarnway for fifty games or so, no big deal. Use the money saved from trading Nova and Cervelli to bring in a new shortstop, or a better option in the rotation than Nova.

So, the long and the short of it, I like this move without even knowing who the return is.
MaineBucs

Nova to White Sox

Post by MaineBucs »

The return ---

A 19 year old RH pitcher, Yordi Rosario and $500,000 of bonus pool money.

Again, there better be another move to add talent, because trading Nova for the above return did nothing on its face to help the current club.
SammyKhalifa

Nova to White Sox

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Rob Biertempfel

@RobBiertempfel

4m4 minutes ago

Nova deal is official. RHP Yordi Rosario and international slot money coming to #Pirates. Rosario, 19, this year went combined 1-4 with 2.57 ERA, 1.13 WHIP and 11.3 K/9 in 14 games (11 starts) in rookie ball and Dominican Summer League.
Ecbucs

Nova to White Sox

Post by Ecbucs »

7E76754254715659370 wrote: Just my two cents, but Taillon, Williams, Archer, Musgrove should be a solid 1-4. From my fifth starter, I just want a guy who will take the ball every fifth day, eat innings, save the bullpen, and hopefully keep you in the game most of the time. Nova was great at that role. But, I also think a younger, cheaper option can fill that role. It might be Kingham. It might be Keller. It might be someone else. Regardless, $11 million or whatever it was was too much to pay a #5 starter. There are better places to put that money, IMHO.

I’d say the same about Cervelli. I like Cervelli. But, in my mind, Diaz is the better option. Independent of salaries, I want to see Diaz behind the plate 100 times next year. Francisco is overpaid to be a backup. Trade him, go with a guy like Stalllings or Lavarnway for fifty games or so, no big deal. Use the money saved from trading Nova and Cervelli to bring in a new shortstop, or a better option in the rotation than Nova.

So, the long and the short of it, I like this move without even knowing who the return is.

given the injury history of three of first four I think this team needs more than what you write for a 5th starter. Especially when you add in the Bucs offense.
BucsFaninGA

Nova to White Sox

Post by BucsFaninGA »

There has to be another starting pitcher coming out way from Free-Agents or another deal. Other than our starting 4 , Kingham is the next option, then Brault. I don't think that is the way to address the 4th starter...Stay Tuned while No Deal Neal works to carve the 2019 Bucs into a contender, fingers crossed :D
Piratefanbill

Nova to White Sox

Post by Piratefanbill »

1A2D3B2B1E393631361F19580 wrote: Well, well Huntington may after all make our off-season something to talk about after all! Would love to see them sign JA Happ,lefty starter or use the money to make a move to acquire a SS and lefty relief. To dump salary does nothing for the team other than pad Bottom Line Bob's pockets... Beat'em Bucs 8-) Having the buccos in on the Happy sweepstakes would make really good possibility now that Nova has been traded. I would at least think Huntingdon has at least reached out to Happs agent .