5 Innings of Argument Starters

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

6C60613A333A323F38273D0A0 wrote: Thanks Bellevue and Bobster for your comments! [highlight]I guess that most of the Board has gone into hibernation[/highlight], waiting for the lockout to end before they return.

How about those Penguins!

Speaking for myself, I'm just frustrated.  Without anything to talk about, it forces us to turn to other things. If it goes on too long, fans will lose interest or simply turn away in anger.  I don't want to do either but these guys aren't helping.

One good thing is that mlb.com has had some interesting articles about past players and historical events.  It's been fun and informative reading many of them.
I do expect some movement very soon. Too much money at stake on both sides

The '94 strike that spilled into the next season is the most recent work stoppage in baseball.  Neither party seemed concerned with the money that was being lost as the playoffs and World Series, their big money-makers, were cancelled.  I know a lot of money stands to be lost again but, when egos get in the way, I don't trust these guys to do the prudent thing.
I just looked at a ST schedule and the Bucs are about 7 weeks out until the first weekend of ST games. I am hoping both sides soon get together to resume negotiations. On the other hand I do want to see some change in the balance between large and small market teams, so if the lockout takes longer to reach that resolution than I am fine if they lose ST games, or [highlight]whatever it takes to begin to even the playing field.[/highlight]

Amen to that, FJK!
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

515D5C070E070F02051A00370 wrote: Thanks Bellevue and Bobster for your comments! [highlight]I guess that most of the Board has gone into hibernation[/highlight], waiting for the lockout to end before they return.

Speaking for myself, I'm just frustrated.  Without anything to talk about, it forces us to turn to other things. If it goes on too long, fans will lose interest or simply turn away in anger.  I don't want to do either but these guys aren't helping.

One good thing is that mlb.com has had some interesting articles about past players and historical events.  It's been fun and informative reading many of them.

The '94 strike that spilled into the next season is the most recent work stoppage in baseball.  Neither party seemed concerned with the money that was being lost as the playoffs and World Series, their big money-makers, were cancelled.  I know a lot of money stands to be lost again but, when egos get in the way, I don't trust these guys to do the prudent thing.
I just looked at a ST schedule and the Bucs are about 7 weeks out until the first weekend of ST games. I am hoping both sides soon get together to resume negotiations. On the other hand I do want to see some change in the balance between large and small market teams, so if the lockout takes longer to reach that resolution than I am fine if they lose ST games, or whatever it takes to begin to even the playing field.

I should schedule an early trip to spring training. This would guarantee no games during my time in Bradenton and the start of games within a couple days of my return home.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Last I heard there were no scheduled talks until the end of January. The lockout puts no pressure on MLB to compromise. They likely are saving money by not having to provide services to the players. The players are in no mood to capitulate so think beginning of February for any movement.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

404C4D161F161E13140B11260 wrote: Thanks Bellevue and Bobster for your comments! [highlight]I guess that most of the Board has gone into hibernation[/highlight], waiting for the lockout to end before they return.

I just looked at a ST schedule and the Bucs are about 7 weeks out until the first weekend of ST games. I am hoping both sides soon get together to resume negotiations. On the other hand I do want to see some change in the balance between large and small market teams, so if the lockout takes longer to reach that resolution than I am fine if they lose ST games, or whatever it takes to begin to even the playing field.

Yeppers.
BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

0F252E1E293F3F335C0 wrote: Thanks Bellevue and Bobster for your comments! I guess that most of the Board has gone into hibernation, waiting for the lockout to end before they return.

Like Greenweenie said, the Pirates are not active, but there is not even other teams to talk about right now. The top news in baseball is Manfred firing a reporter because he was mean to him.
BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

082528393E2F38787B4A0 wrote: Regarding the infield (assuming there is a season): I believe they would like to see Chavis win the 2B job and get a season's worth of ABs. He has shown some power in the minors and hit 18 HRs in 347 ABs for Boston in 2019. And this team desperately needs power. If he can supply it, he could move to the OF (where he already has some experience) in a year or 2 when Nick Gonzalez is ready to take over 2B.

Newman's job security is perilous. Two of their best prospects are SSs with Cruz and Peguero. And with each passing year Newman's .308 BA in 2019 looks more like a fluke. He seems like a good field/no hit SS who will likely be traded and replaced by Cruz before the season is over.

As for Tucker, I think the fans like him more than the Pirates front office does. He's likeable and energetic and came onto our radar as a #1 draft pick earmarked to be the SS of the future. That's a lot to like. But the reality is that he's a switch hitter who doesn't hit well from either side of the plate. And despite all the experimenting they've done with young players the past few years, Tucker has never been given a chance to win the starting SS or 2B job despite excellent fielding. So it seems the organization has made up its mind about him. He will likely make the team as a light hitting utility INF/OF type. But such players are easily replaceable, and I doubt he has more than 1 more year in then organization, if that. 

Newman's good defense could very well be a fluke as well. This past season is the first time he was a positive defensive player.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

75525B5B52414252754254370 wrote: Regarding the infield (assuming there is a season): I believe they would like to see Chavis win the 2B job and get a season's worth of ABs. He has shown some power in the minors and hit 18 HRs in 347 ABs for Boston in 2019. And this team desperately needs power. If he can supply it, he could move to the OF (where he already has some experience) in a year or 2 when Nick Gonzalez is ready to take over 2B.

Newman's job security is perilous. Two of their best prospects are SSs with Cruz and Peguero. And with each passing year Newman's .308 BA in 2019 looks more like a fluke. He seems like a good field/no hit SS who will likely be traded and replaced by Cruz before the season is over.

As for Tucker, I think the fans like him more than the Pirates front office does. He's likeable and energetic and came onto our radar as a #1 draft pick earmarked to be the SS of the future. That's a lot to like. But the reality is that he's a switch hitter who doesn't hit well from either side of the plate. And despite all the experimenting they've done with young players the past few years, Tucker has never been given a chance to win the starting SS or 2B job despite excellent fielding. So it seems the organization has made up its mind about him. He will likely make the team as a light hitting utility INF/OF type. But such players are easily replaceable, and I doubt he has more than 1 more year in then organization, if that. 
Newman's good defense could very well be a fluke as well. This past season is the first time he was a positive defensive player.
True. Newman made only 3 errors all season and was very surehanded on the chances he had. As far as range factor goes, he was only 8th in the NL among SSs with at least 800 innings in chances per 9 innings, averaging 3.77 chances per 9 innings. That was below the league average of 3.85. He needs to be flawless on all the routine chances, which he basically was. But I wonder if that is sustainable.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Even if he can maintain the flawless play, I think I'd rather have someone with greater range even if they make a few more errors.  Some of the greatest defensive shortstops in baseball history committed a fair amount of errors because they were getting to a lot more balls than someone with lesser range.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

464344424A4059444D5E58552C0 wrote: Even if he can maintain the flawless play, I think I'd rather have someone with greater range even if they make a few more errors.  Some of the greatest defensive shortstops in baseball history committed a fair amount of errors because they were getting to a lot more balls than someone with lesser range.
Until Peguero gets here, I'll be happy to see Newman out there at SS. I expect that his hitting will improve this year. I know ST doesn't count for much, but Newman did hit .600 last Spring, and he does have an MLB season with a .300+ AVG.
BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

5C767D4D7A6C6C600F0 wrote: Even if he can maintain the flawless play, I think I'd rather have someone with greater range even if they make a few more errors.  Some of the greatest defensive shortstops in baseball history committed a fair amount of errors because they were getting to a lot more balls than someone with lesser range.
Until Peguero gets here, I'll be happy to see Newman out there at SS. I expect that his hitting will improve this year. I know ST doesn't count for much, but Newman did hit .600 last Spring, and he does have an MLB season with a .300+ AVG.

There is not much reason to think he will hit better. He was consistently bad all season. His approach and quality of contact need to drastically change.