2021 Baseball HOF Ballots

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

755E49463F0 wrote: Each writer can list up to 10 players on his/her ballot.

Each place on the ballot is weighted, from 1st choice to 10th. Not every writer fills out 10 though, and they can only select from the current list of eligible players, although they can write-in a player (which never works). Some writers used to write in Pete Rose every year.

The ballots are not weighted at all, voters check the player name.

Here is Greg Cote's ballot from two years ago.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DuqSxRPWkAIg86T.jpg

As you can see, they can also decide if the ballot should be public, which I think should not even be an option. These guys get paid for their opinions, but suddenly don't want them known.

Write in votes are not permitted.

I do not think there is 10 guys worth considering this year, so that should not be problem. It has been recently due to worthy guys not being elected for various reasons.
Javy

Post by Javy »

Thanks for the correction on the weighted vote - I apparently confused it with votes like MVP & Cy Young - my mistake.

I think the votes should be public as well. As for write-ins, I could have stated it better - they aren't allowed, but Rose still got votes for 15 years and it was always mentioned, right or wrong.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

645A5F57445C5C5777524556330 wrote:

How many do they usually pick?

Last year, 6.8 names per ballot that was made public and 5.5 per ballot that was not made public.
ArnoldRothstein

It seems there's not going to be an "Era" (old timers) committee this year. From Wikipedia:

"Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, meetings of the Early Baseball committee and Golden Days committee—two of a group of four bodies generally referred to as the Veterans Committee—which were scheduled to consider players from the 1871–1949 and 1950–1969 eras, respectively, were postponed from December 2020 to December 2021."

Skipping this could end up a shame. I think everyone from the earlier group who's a plausible candidate is deceased, but in the latter group Dick Allen, Tony Oliva, and Maury Wills have received support in the past and are 78 or older. I'd hate to see one of them die because the Hall didn't want to do a videoconference.
BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

72415D5C5F57615C475B4047565A5D330 wrote: It seems there's not going to be an "Era" (old timers) committee this year.  From Wikipedia:

"Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, meetings of the Early Baseball committee and Golden Days committee—two of a group of four bodies generally referred to as the Veterans Committee—which were scheduled to consider players from the 1871–1949 and 1950–1969 eras, respectively, were postponed from December 2020 to December 2021."

Skipping this could end up a shame.  I think everyone from the earlier group who's a plausible candidate is deceased, but in the latter group Dick Allen, Tony Oliva, and Maury Wills have received support in the past and are 78 or older.  I'd hate to see one of them die because the Hall didn't want to do a videoconference.

I thought they moved that to every other year after two light hitting 2B were inducted in consecutive years? Looks like they just changed the format.
ArnoldRothstein

I thought they moved that to every other year after two light hitting 2B were inducted in consecutive years? Looks like they just changed the format.

The format's wild now - there are four "Eras"; I think the two more recent eras get considered twice every five years, the two earlier eras get considered once every five years. Dave Parker got pretty good support the last time the 70s/80s committee voted.
BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

1F2C3031323A0C312A362D2A3B37305E0 wrote: I thought they moved that to every other year after two light hitting 2B were inducted in consecutive years?  Looks like they just changed the format.

The format's wild now - there are four "Eras"; I think the two more recent eras get considered twice every five years, the two earlier eras get considered once every five years. Dave Parker got pretty good support the last time the 70s/80s committee voted.

So confusing. I guess that is how Harold Baines gets in, no one understands what is going on and the voters are all people that liked him.
ArnoldRothstein

Ryan Thibodeaux is doing his vote tracker again this year:

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?res ... GrHzGEkOuw

Edit: sorry, that whole thing up there is the link. I can't fix the end of it.

Only 18 votes in, out of 400 or so expected, but it's slightly interesting that no one has 75%. Bonds, Clemens, and Rolen have 12 votes (66.7%), Schilling and Vizquel have 11 (61.1), Helton 10 (55.6%), and Manny Ramirez 9 (50%). A tiny sample size, obviously, but interesting because most candidates see their percentages drop toward the end of the voting period, so a successful candidate is usually clearly above 75% for most of the voting period.
BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

7E4D5150535B6D504B574C4B5A56513F0 wrote: Ryan Thibodeaux is doing his vote tracker again this year:

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?res ... GrHzGEkOuw

Edit: sorry, that whole thing up there is the link. I can't fix the end of it.

Only 18 votes in, out of 400 or so expected, but it's slightly interesting that no one has 75%. Bonds, Clemens, and Rolen have 12 votes (66.7%), Schilling and Vizquel have 11 (61.1), Helton 10 (55.6%), and Manny Ramirez 9 (50%). A tiny sample size, obviously, but interesting because most candidates see their percentages drop toward the end of the voting period, so a successful candidate is usually clearly above 75% for most of the voting period.

One of the first ballots was quite possibly the worst possible combo. And of course left it anon.

And then there was Steven Marcus who voted for no one.
ArnoldRothstein

Joe Posnanski at The Athletic (beware: paywall) is doing a series on the 100 best players not in the Hall of Fame. Nos. 100-91:

100. Juan Gonzalez

99. Fred Lynn

98. Rocky Colavito

97. Albert Belle

96. Jimmy Sheckard

95. Quincy Trouppe

94. Fernando

93. Darrell Evans

92. Steve Garvey

91. Dave Parker

Under a "would I buy a ticket to see this guy" standard, I'd probably put Parker in the top half of that list, after Fernando and pretty close to Belle and Lynn.