Official Game Thread 7/8/2021 Bucs vs. Mets

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

0B262B3A3D2C3B7B78490 wrote: Game rained out.
did they announce a make-up?
shedman

Post by shedman »

I agree that Shelton is bad, but Cherington is the worst GM in all of baseball.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

605E5B53405858537356415205370 wrote: Game rained out.
did they announce a make-up?
D/H Saturday at 4 pm.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

78636E6F666A650B0 wrote: I agree that Shelton is bad, but Cherington is the worst GM in all of baseball.

::)
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

346274606F75656E637446616B676F6A2865060 wrote: I agree that Shelton is bad, but Cherington is the worst GM in all of baseball.

OBN has obtained some film of Shedman expressing his opinion of Ben Cherington.

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

217761757A60707B766153747E727A7F3D70130 wrote: Reynolds needs a day off to prepare for the all-star break next week.  ::)

These constant, deliberate subpar lineups show Shelton doesn't care if they win or lose. So why does Shelton even care about making pitching changes in games when he obviously doesn't care about the outcome?

It begs the question as to whether or not he's getting instruction from BC to field inferior line-ups to assure as many losses as possible.  If I were a manager, especially a new one, I'd be trying to win every game possible to protect my own reputation.  He sure doesn't manage that way, so it makes me wonder what's going on.
I think some is what BC wants and some is Shelton's utter incompetence. I'm sure BC didn't tell Shelton to do a double-switch last week so that his new reliever could lead off the next inning. And BC probably doesn't tell him to make up lineups so that there are only LH PHers on the bench. Or to leave in struggling pitchers in hopes they can suddenly execute pitches. I think Shelton's decisions show such a high level of incompetence that it's easy to blame him for every bad move even if BC is really the one behind some of them. I hope Shelton has a very brief tenure as manager so that if BC is ordering bad moves, at least the problem isn't compounded by additional bad moves from the manager.   

I know BC makes no in-game decisions.  Shelton’s screwing those up all by himself.  But I can see BC “suggesting” certain players be placed in the starting line-up.  What else could explain Polanco playing so much?  But I agree [highlight]there’s no way BC is talking with Shelton during games.[/highlight]  I would never expect that.

Just going by the team's record so far, I'm almost surprised that the two men would admit to even knowing each other. ;)
2drfischer@gmail.c

230E03121504135350610 wrote: I agree that Shelton is bad, but Cherington is the worst GM in all of baseball.

OBN has obtained some film of Shedman expressing his opinion of Ben Cherington.

The resemblance is uncanny. And he wore those exact same clothes to the golf course the other day.
BenM

Post by BenM »

194F594D425848434E596B4C464A424705482B0 wrote: Reynolds needs a day off to prepare for the all-star break next week.  ::)

These constant, deliberate subpar lineups show Shelton doesn't care if they win or lose. So why does Shelton even care about making pitching changes in games when he obviously doesn't care about the outcome?

It begs the question as to whether or not he's getting instruction from BC to field inferior line-ups to assure as many losses as possible.  If I were a manager, especially a new one, I'd be trying to win every game possible to protect my own reputation.  He sure doesn't manage that way, so it makes me wonder what's going on.
I think some is what BC wants and some is Shelton's utter incompetence. I'm sure BC didn't tell Shelton to do a double-switch last week so that his new reliever could lead off the next inning. And BC probably doesn't tell him to make up lineups so that there are only LH PHers on the bench. Or to leave in struggling pitchers in hopes they can suddenly execute pitches. I think Shelton's decisions show such a high level of incompetence that it's easy to blame him for every bad move even if BC is really the one behind some of them. I hope Shelton has a very brief tenure as manager so that if BC is ordering bad moves, at least the problem isn't compounded by additional bad moves from the manager.   

I know BC makes no in-game decisions.  Shelton’s screwing those up all by himself.  But I can see BC “suggesting” certain players be placed in the starting line-up.  What else could explain Polanco playing so much?  But I agree there’s no way BC is talking with Shelton during games.  I would never expect that.

Is he making these decisions all by himself? My guess is that they are heavily influenced by the analytics department and represent a consensus decision as to how to manage the team.

Analytics may determine how many innings/games a player can play in a row. Analytics may be the reason for his short hook on pitchers. Analytics may determine lineups etc.

Either way, I think these decisions are the result of a team decision.

Polanco? Got no clue.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4B6C6744090 wrote:

Polanco? Got no clue.
I think the Pirates have done everything but make a human sacrifice in hopes of getting someone, anyone to take Polanco off their hands. They've played him when he had no business playing in the desperate hope that he might finally get hot and attract a trade partner. But the more anyone sees him play, the less anyone wants him. And now with only about 3 weeks until the TDL, he goes on the IL. Seems like the last, desperate ploy to keep other teams from seeing him play while clinging for the ever so remote chance that someone might still think he would have had value if only he wasn't on the IL and could have been playing.

Polanco is so bad in every facet of the game that they can't even give him away. After the TDL there will be no reason to keep him on the roster.
2drfischer@gmail.c

7A5D5675380 wrote: Reynolds needs a day off to prepare for the all-star break next week.  ::)

I know BC makes no in-game decisions.  Shelton’s screwing those up all by himself.  But I can see BC “suggesting” certain players be placed in the starting line-up.  What else could explain Polanco playing so much?  But I agree there’s no way BC is talking with Shelton during games.  I would never expect that.

Is he making these decisions all by himself? My guess is that they are heavily influenced by the analytics department and represent a consensus decision as to how to manage the team.

Analytics may determine how many innings/games a player can play in a row. Analytics may be the reason for his short hook on pitchers. Analytics may determine lineups etc.

Either way, I think these decisions are the result of a team decision.

Polanco? Got no clue.

I'm sure you're right regarding their use of analytics and how multiple people are involved in the decision-making. I'm also a big believer in math and how numbers don't lie. But all decisions, as they need to be made, can't be based just on numbers. There's a human element that can't be dismissed and many times can't be explained. Baseball's not a desk top computer game, but sometimes I feel it's being turned into one.