Reds pull off blockbuster

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

Post by BenM »

I forgot where I read/heard it (might have been FAN, Bucs Dugout or here) but someone said that the Pirates are like a person who decides to hit the buffet ten minutes before the restaurant closes.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Keep in mind that TBMTIB has assembled a roster capable of winning 78-82 games. Mission accomplished! >:(
BenM

Post by BenM »

755855444352450506370 wrote: Keep in mind that TBMTIB has assembled a roster capable of winning 78-82 games. Mission accomplished!   >:(

I want Mets' analytical model. According to their GM it has them winning the East.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

This trade has really improved the Reds team. The addition of Puig and Kemp to join Votto, Scotter G., and others make this team a strong offense team. The Central will be a very tough division.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Puig, Kemp, Votto, Suarez, Gennett are all capable of hitting 25+ HR’s. With Polanco out the Pirates have 0 players that will be projected to hit 25 plus. The Cubs and Brewers were already significantly better than the Bucs. Now the Cards and Reds have significantly improved their teams.

The Pirates dominated the Reds last year. That won’t happen this year. What exactly is TBMTIB going to do to neutralize these latest developments??????
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6A4F4C4C59724F474552200 wrote: Puig, Kemp, Votto, Suarez, Gennett are all capable of hitting 25+ HR’s. With Polanco out the Pirates have 0 players that will be projected to hit 25 plus. The Cubs and Brewers were already significantly better than the Bucs. Now the Cards and Reds have significantly improved their teams.

The Pirates dominated the Reds last year. That won’t happen this year. What exactly is TBMTIB going to do to neutralize these latest developments??????

LOL. Nothing. They just want to keep the fans moderately interested to turn a profit. They'll point to the Archer deal last year as their big move for 2019. They might find a serviceable SS. They know they won't actually be competitive for any post season spot. But they're keeping the payroll low which is Priority 1.

There are fans who actually believe the Pirates were competitive and in the hunt last year. They're talking about a team that was under .500 as late as Sept 15, won only 3 more than they lost, never got less than 6 GB the division leader from the 2nd week of June, finished 12.5 GB and generally had 4 teams always ahead of them in the WC race. That is the Pirates' version of being competitive and in the hunt. As long as they aren't 30 games out and fans can say, "Well, if this, this and that happen, we'll be ok," TBMTIB has done its job. Thanks to the 2 WC team format, teams who aren't actually a threat except from a distance that is never closed, can point to the fact that there is still hope if they can somehow get hotter than anyone has a right to expect and if the teams in front of them get colder than is likely to happen. This is the goal of a team that announces their goal is to win 78-82 games and hope to occasionally get lucky and overachieve. I hate that this is how the team is run but we all know it is and there's nothing we as fans can do about it. I don't expect anything different. Other teams make significant roster improvements. But that's not the world the Pirates operate in. It's as if the other teams are polishing their advanced, modern weaponry and the Pirates are proudly touting the acquisition of a brand new musket.
Quail

Post by Quail »

765B56474051460605340 wrote: Puig, Kemp, Votto, Suarez, Gennett are all capable of hitting 25+ HR’s. With Polanco out the Pirates have 0 players that will be projected to hit 25 plus. The Cubs and Brewers were already significantly better than the Bucs. Now the Cards and Reds have significantly improved their teams.

LOL. Nothing. They just want to keep the fans moderately interested to turn a profit. They'll point to the Archer deal last year as their big move for 2019. They might find a serviceable SS. They know they won't actually be competitive for any post season spot. But they're keeping the payroll low which is Priority 1. 

There are fans who actually believe the Pirates were competitive and in the hunt last year. They're talking about a team that was under .500 as late as Sept 15, won only 3 more than they lost, never got less than 6 GB the division leader from the 2nd week of June, finished 12.5 GB and generally had 4 teams always ahead of them in the WC race. That is the Pirates' version of being competitive and in the hunt. As long as they aren't 30 games out and fans can say, "Well, if this, this and that happen, we'll be ok," TBMTIB has done its job. Thanks to the 2 WC team format, teams who aren't actually a threat except from a distance that is never closed, can point to the fact that there is still hope if they can somehow get hotter than anyone has a right to expect and if the teams in front of them get colder than is likely to happen. This is the goal of a team that announces their goal is to win 78-82 games and hope to occasionally get lucky and overachieve. I hate that this is how the team is run but we all know it is and there's nothing we as fans can do about it. I don't expect anything different. Other teams make significant roster improvements. But that's not the world the Pirates operate in. It's as if the other teams are polishing their advanced, modern weaponry and the Pirates are proudly touting the acquisition of a brand new musket.   

Bobster- Depressingly accurate summary, as is seeing the Reds make this kind of move. :'(
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

This trade makes me wonder why I want to follow baseball. The Dodgers dumped 3 rather decent players to the Reds with not much return. Sure the Reds took on alot of payroll, but they acquired two starting outfielders and a lefty starting pitcher, and did not return any player from their starting lineup. They dumped Bailey who has stunk since he signed the big contract a few years ago. It is amazing that Baseball will permit a team like the Dodgers to trade 3 above average players to another team for very little return.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

This winter reminds me of 2016, and I fear a similar outcome once the games begin. I think the Pirates have looked at their 2019 roster and concluded that, since Polanco is hurt, they can't compete for the playoffs, so they are just going to slap a couple of band-aids on the team and hope for 2020.

Apart from Cervelli, Dickerson and Kang, I think they control everyone through 2020. Probably hoping that Keller and Tucker will be MLB-ready in 2020. They've certainly made room for them.

Fellow Bucs fans, please correct me if there are other players we are losing control of in 2020.

I know this is a "Bah, humbug" post, but Merry Christmas!
notes34

Post by notes34 »

210C01101706115152630 wrote: Keep in mind that TBMTIB has assembled a roster capable of winning 78-82 games. Mission accomplished!   >:(
Probably not now, that might be optimistic.