Early free agency outlook

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

174157434C56464D4057654248444C490B46250 wrote: Chris Archer is available once again, as is Miguel Sano.  Remember when he was an amateur youth and was thought to be the next great player, and how the Pirates somehow screwed-up in signing him when it was thought they had him all locked up?  Other than a couple of good HR seasons, he was mostly pedestrian.

Do I ever remember the crap that hit the fan when the Twinkies beat us to Sano. Rene de Guyo was the Bucs' Latin American chief scout and he was eventually dismissed because he was taking too much of the players bonus.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

47666E476C64030 wrote: Chris Archer is available once again, as is Miguel Sano.  Remember when he was an amateur youth and was thought to be the next great player, and how the Pirates somehow screwed-up in signing him when it was thought they had him all locked up?  Other than a couple of good HR seasons, he was mostly pedestrian.

Do I ever remember the crap that hit the fan when the Twinkies beat us to Sano.  Rene de Guyo was the Bucs' Latin American chief scout and he was eventually dismissed because he was taking too much of the players bonus.

I recall reading that Guyo was spreading the story that Sano was older than everyone thought because the Pirates didn't want other teams to offer more money. Sano and his family were angry about that and refused to sign with the Pirates.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

173A37262130276764550 wrote: Chris Archer is available once again, as is Miguel Sano.  Remember when he was an amateur youth and was thought to be the next great player, and how the Pirates somehow screwed-up in signing him when it was thought they had him all locked up?  Other than a couple of good HR seasons, he was mostly pedestrian.

Do I ever remember the crap that hit the fan when the Twinkies beat us to Sano.  Rene de Guyo was the Bucs' Latin American chief scout and he was eventually dismissed because he was taking too much of the players bonus.

I recall reading that Guyo was spreading the story that Sano was older than everyone thought because the Pirates didn't want other teams to offer more money. Sano and his family were angry about that and refused to sign with the Pirates.

I didn’t know that was the story behind his not signing with the Pirates when it was all but certain he would.
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Dodgers are trying to figure out what they’re going to do about bringing back Justin Turner, Cody Bellinger, and Clayton Kershaw. How happy do you think Nutting is that he doesn’t have that to deal with?
Javy

Post by Javy »

Heck, he's elated he only has to worry about Ben Gamel and Michael Perez :-[
2drfischer@gmail.c

163D2A255C0 wrote: Heck, he's elated he only has to worry about Ben Gamel and Michael Perez :-[

And even those guys must have him gorging on Tums.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

072126333A3621373F540 wrote: Chad Kuhl, Trevor Williams, Jameson Taillon from long in the Bucs system along with Jose Quintana and Tyler Anderson from recent dumpster dives.

Would that be a better starting rotation then Contreras, Keller, Brubaker, Oviedo, and Ortiz?

I don't want to see JTB anywhere near this rotation. Bullpen maybe.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Tyler Anderson to the Angels for 3/$39 million.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/11/ ... erson.html

That's about as far as the Pirates could go under the previous regime (Liriano).
3pirates3

Post by 3pirates3 »

Here's news that will make Doc happy.

"Sources: Mariners have inquired with Brewers on availability of 2B Kolten Wong, who has 1 year left before free agency. Wong, a left-handed hitter, is coming off a career-high 118 OPS+." - Morosi

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/15 ... 0628020224
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

173C2B245D0 wrote: Heck, he's elated he only has to worry about Ben Gamel and Michael Perez :-[
:D ;D :D ;D