6/26 Little Pirates vs Pee Wee Mets

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

I really dislike Santana, he seems to just be a thrower, and I really like what I've been seeing out of Crick. He looks like he could be worth something if we don't somehow mess him up.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

684F5E5A5F427D495E5F5F423B0 wrote: Another game that the Pirates should have won that turns into a loss. Everybody got excited associated with the team about the win last night which now means nothing. This is what this team is gonna do the rest of the season. Win one and then lose 2 or 3 in a row and stay right about 5-10 games under .500. And for Hurdle he will be fine  with that and could care less.
Exactly. A starter who once again gives up multiple runs in the 1st inning. A bullpen that continues to struggle. 3 more errors from a team that continues to play horrible defense. 4 more wild pitches from the team with the most in MLB. An offense that continues to do little. In other words, the team's problems from game to game are not anomalies. They are consistent and repeatable. The Pirates are a team the lowly Mets happily feel they have a chance against. This is the team NH assembled and for which Hurdle prioritizes rest and playing time over winning. As fans, there's no point getting frustrated from one game to the next. This is all they are and all they will be.

Hurdle obviously knows this. I'm sure he'd prefer to win consistently but that isn't really an option. In his interviews he sounds annoyed at the questions asking him about the team's problems. It's as if he resents being asked such obvious questions for which there are no answers, and I suspect he feels the reporters should know better than to even ask. On 6/24 he refused to PH for S-Rod (who started at SS) in the 8th inning trailing 3-0 with a runner at 1B and no outs. S-Rod (.144) promptly hit into a DP. Hurdle explained that he really wanted Mercer to have a day off or as he said, "to get him off his feet." Hurdle said he was afraid that if he PH for Rodriguez and Mercer entered in the 8th, the game might go 17 innings and Mercer would end up playing the equivalent of an entire 9 inning game instead of resting. Yes, that was his reasoning.

Mercer had played only 6 innings 3 days earlier when replaced at SS by Rodriguez in a blowout loss. Mercer had a day off, like the rest of the team, in the rainout 4 days earlier. But Hurdle was absolutely obsessed with the idea that Mercer should have a day off so the thought of putting him in the 8th inning after another 7 innings of rest was abhorrent to Hurdle because of the remote possibility that the Pirates might come from 3 runs back in the 8th and tie the game and the game might go 17 innings which would require Mercer to play 9 innings. Hurdle's #1 goal was not to win the game. It was to give the well-rested Mercer even more rest at any cost. As long as we are fans of a team that's not really trying, any win is an unexpected treat and nothing more.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

2F373532322534332E2F395C0 wrote: I really dislike Santana, he seems to just be a thrower, and I really like what I've been seeing out of Crick.  He looks like he could be worth something if we don't somehow mess him up.

Crick has done better than I had hoped, I have to admit. 2.57 ERA and think he had one bad outing that brought that up. He certainly has impressed me more than the other two pitchers we have seen thus far in those Cutch/Cole deals.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

717660686671363A43646E626A6F2D606C6E030 wrote: Well, somebody has to win when the Muts and Princesses play. 

These are just two bad teams. I look at the Mets roster and shake my head. Two stud starters in the rotation ... Matz isn't bad. I know why they wouldn't trade Nimmo for Harrison. But ... where are the building blocks there?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4E636E7F78697E3E3D0C0 wrote: Another game that the Pirates should have won that turns into a loss. Everybody got excited associated with the team about the win last night which now means nothing. This is what this team is gonna do the rest of the season. Win one and then lose 2 or 3 in a row and stay right about 5-10 games under .500. And for Hurdle he will be fine  with that and could care less.
Exactly. A starter who once again gives up multiple runs in the 1st inning. A bullpen that continues to struggle. 3 more errors from a team that continues to play horrible defense. 4 more wild pitches from the team with the most in MLB. An offense that continues to do little. In other words, the team's problems from game to game are not anomalies. They are consistent and repeatable. The Pirates are a team the lowly Mets happily feel they have a chance against. This is the team NH assembled and for which Hurdle prioritizes rest and playing time over winning. As fans, there's no point getting frustrated from one game to the next. This is all they are and all they will be. 

Hurdle obviously knows this.  I'm sure he'd prefer to win consistently but that isn't really an option. In his interviews he sounds annoyed at the questions asking him about the team's problems. It's as if he resents being asked such obvious questions for which there are no answers, and I suspect he feels the reporters should know better than to even ask. On 6/24 he refused to PH for S-Rod (who started at SS) in the 8th inning trailing 3-0 with a runner at 1B and no outs. S-Rod (.144) promptly hit into a DP. Hurdle explained that he really wanted Mercer to have a day off or as he said, "to get him off his feet." Hurdle said he was afraid that if he PH for Rodriguez and Mercer entered in the 8th, the game might go 17 innings and Mercer would end up playing the equivalent of an entire 9 inning game instead of resting. Yes, that was his reasoning.

Mercer had played only 6 innings 3 days earlier when replaced at SS by Rodriguez in a blowout loss. Mercer had a day off, like the rest of the team, in the rainout 4 days earlier. But Hurdle was absolutely obsessed with the idea that Mercer should have a day off so the thought of putting him in the 8th inning after another 7 innings of rest was abhorrent to Hurdle because of the remote possibility that the Pirates might come from 3 runs back in the 8th and tie the game and the game might go 17 innings which would require Mercer to play 9 innings. Hurdle's #1 goal was not to win the game. It was to give the well-rested Mercer even more rest at any cost. [highlight]As long as we are fans of a team that's not really[/highlight] [highlight]trying,[/highlight] any win is an unexpected treat and nothing more.

Most fans can tell the team isn't really trying. I think that is a big factor in attendance decline. Not trying to win on the season takes away the hope.

Also even fans of poor teams know their team wins once in a while. They hope it takes place when they attend. With the Bucs having put winning games lower on the priority list why bother to go? Unless you like paying a lot for beer.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

694449585F4E59191A2B0 wrote: Another game that the Pirates should have won that turns into a loss. Everybody got excited associated with the team about the win last night which now means nothing. This is what this team is gonna do the rest of the season. Win one and then lose 2 or 3 in a row and stay right about 5-10 games under .500. And for Hurdle he will be fine  with that and could care less.

Hurdle obviously knows this.  I'm sure he'd prefer to win consistently but that isn't really an option. In his interviews he sounds annoyed at the questions asking him about the team's problems. It's as if he resents being asked such obvious questions for which there are no answers, and I suspect he feels the reporters should know better than to even ask. On 6/24 he refused to PH for S-Rod (who started at SS) in the 8th inning trailing 3-0 with a runner at 1B and no outs. S-Rod (.144) promptly hit into a DP. Hurdle explained that he really wanted Mercer to have a day off or as he said, "to get him off his feet." Hurdle said he was afraid that if he PH for Rodriguez and Mercer entered in the 8th, the game might go 17 innings and Mercer would end up playing the equivalent of an entire 9 inning game instead of resting. Yes, that was his reasoning.

Mercer had played only 6 innings 3 days earlier when replaced at SS by Rodriguez in a blowout loss. Mercer had a day off, like the rest of the team, in the rainout 4 days earlier. But Hurdle was absolutely obsessed with the idea that Mercer should have a day off so the thought of putting him in the 8th inning after another 7 innings of rest was abhorrent to Hurdle because of the remote possibility that the Pirates might come from 3 runs back in the 8th and tie the game and the game might go 17 innings which would require Mercer to play 9 innings. Hurdle's #1 goal was not to win the game. It was to give the well-rested Mercer even more rest at any cost. As long as we are fans of a team that's not really trying, any win is an unexpected treat and nothing more.

I too am turned off by Clint’s irritation at questions. Sometimes he gets downright rude and intentionally embarrasses the reporter. Clint? If you’re trying reading this, it’s a bad look; besides, if you’re frustrated by questions you consider stupid, then consider our frustration watching this team screw up every area.

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

:-?705657405646350 wrote: Another game that the Pirates should have won that turns into a loss. Everybody got excited associated with the team about the win last night which now means nothing. This is what this team is gonna do the rest of the season. Win one and then lose 2 or 3 in a row and stay right about 5-10 games under .500. And for Hurdle he will be fine  with that and could care less.

Mercer had played only 6 innings 3 days earlier when replaced at SS by Rodriguez in a blowout loss. Mercer had a day off, like the rest of the team, in the rainout 4 days earlier. But Hurdle was absolutely obsessed with the idea that Mercer should have a day off so the thought of putting him in the 8th inning after another 7 innings of rest was abhorrent to Hurdle because of the remote possibility that the Pirates might come from 3 runs back in the 8th and tie the game and the game might go 17 innings which would require Mercer to play 9 innings. Hurdle's #1 goal was not to win the game. It was to give the well-rested Mercer even more rest at any cost. [highlight]As long as we are fans of a team that's not really[/highlight] [highlight]trying,[/highlight] any win is an unexpected treat and nothing more.

Most fans can tell the team isn't really trying.  I think that is a big factor in attendance decline.  Not trying to win on the season takes away the hope. 

Also even fans of poor teams know their team wins once in a while.  They hope it takes place when they attend.  With the Bucs having put winning games lower on the priority list why bother to go?  Unless you like paying a lot for beer.

Lots of truth here....