Trade Candidates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Trade Candidates

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

4353526573737F100 wrote: Very few of the names mentioned move the needle as far as getting much value in return.  Despite him having a career year, I'm not sure Cervelli brings back as much as many of us believe.  Mercer, Freese ... Harrison, I'm not sure has much value in a deal.

If Nova has two more solid starts, it would be time to move him quickly.  Hell, I would be making the calls now.

Marte could bring back some nice pieces, but something tells me we would get less than a Cole return and that isn't looking good.

Sad thing, if moving out these pieces, next year won't be any better.  We know the GM/ownership won't be going after quality.  The prospects we get in return for these players mentioned more than likely won't help.  Your outfield takes  major step back ...

They won't release SRod.  Think about how much he is owed.

We’re thinking the same thing. And our thinking is right....
BenM

Trade Candidates

Post by BenM »

4252536472727E110 wrote: Very few of the names mentioned move the needle as far as getting much value in return.  Despite him having a career year, I'm not sure Cervelli brings back as much as many of us believe. 

Despite his hot start, I don't think Cervelli gets us anything appreciable. Who would pay value for a catcher with three (four?) stints on the DL because of concussions who is owed over ten million next season?
Bobster21

Trade Candidates

Post by Bobster21 »

4A4D5B535D4A0D01785F55595154165B5755380 wrote: Whenever I read about potential trade scenarios I'm reminded that it's been 14-15 years since Jason Bay and Freddy Sanchez were the next wave of prospects who were supposed to right the ship. There's been a steady lineage of acquired prospects ever since but the org has always refrained from going all in. Even after 98 wins and record attendance in 2015 they cut costs and talent. I don't care who gets traded for who and how good the acquired prospects are, they will only be part of a team that isn't good enough because mgt will never pay for a complete team. So I tune out of the trade discussions. Why even bother?

Going back to JBay and Freddy - there is an astounding lack of star players for this organization.  Cutch.  Martin.  Harrison.  Who else played at a higher level for multiple seasons?  AJ, Walker and Pedro for very short period in their careers, all of which coincided with the brief winning cycle.

There have been plenty of average players, the “##4&5 lineup players”.  Good enough to put a team on the field that sometimes resembles a “good” team.  But they’re not a “good” team because this team is literally made up of average to low-average players.  In the lineup and rotation.  Everybody on this team is a “4 or 5” except maybe a couple 3s like Marte and maybe Cervelli and JHay. 

This team can’t be better then it’s players, and this is a team with a lot of average (and low average) players.

That means there is little trade value.  Nobody is paying much for my junk. In fact, I have to call 1-800-JUNK and pay them to haul it away.

There’s nothing here.  There is no value to turn over.

It’s been run into the ground.  And Nutting’s not going to pay the price to fix it.
Heck, he wouldn't even pay to sustain it! After 98 wins and record attendance in 2015 he cut costs, let Happ go, and added Vogelsong and Jaso. There was nothing to fix. All he had to do was sustain or improve over what he had. He chose to junk it all in order to maximize profits. So 98 wins became 78 wins in 1 year. This is Exhibit A in the case of Nutting dialing down efforts to win. Winning is not what this org is about. Even some players have publicly said so. So why worry about potential trades? It just doersn't matter.

SCBucco

Trade Candidates

Post by SCBucco »

11363D1E530 wrote: Very few of the names mentioned move the needle as far as getting much value in return.  Despite him having a career year, I'm not sure Cervelli brings back as much as many of us believe. 

Despite his hot start, I don't think Cervelli gets us anything appreciable. Who would pay value for a catcher with three (four?) stints on the DL because of concussions who is owed over ten million next season?

That is where I was going with my comment.
SCBucco

Trade Candidates

Post by SCBucco »

So ... if the Bucs trade the names people bring up, especially the five rumored to be on the market ... here is our lineup for 2019

C - Diaz

1B - Bell

2B - Newman/Kramer

SS - Newman/Kramer

3B - Kang (if he stays out of trouble) otherwise Moran

OF - Luplow

OF - Polanco

OF - Meadows

SP - Taillon

SP - Kingham

SP - Williams

SP- Musgrove

SP - Kuhl

Yikes
dmetz

Trade Candidates

Post by dmetz »

Nothing is going to be doable until a new GM is brought in. I don't trust him to make a good trade for anyone, especially selling value pieces for talent.

The Dickerson trade was a fleecing, but otherwise he's been taken to the cleaners, with a couple exceptions (bullpen pieces).

And Dickerson was getting rid of his own mistake (signing Hudson).