No DH in NL next Year

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

No DH in NL next Year

Post by GreenWeenie »

6D4A43434A595A4A6D5A4C2F0 wrote: It appears that the NL will not use the DH next year. 

While I have generally been in the Bob Walk camp, I thought that the DH made sense last season and believe it similarly could make sense for the 2021 season, particularly because COVID is still running rampant and shows few signs of abating (e.g. cancelled Pro and College Football Games).

Also, assuming that baseball continues to allow some form of expanded rosters, at least through the first several months of the season, Shelton may go completely whammy if he is presented with the opportunity to make double-switches under the pretense of trying to help the team win.

So ---  Keep the DH for next year.   Allow expanded rosters until COVID is better under control.  And if not, enact a rule that requires a team to forfeit a game if a manager makes more than one double-switch in a game.

Also, I see where the Marlins could have an all Pittsburgh outfield next year:  Dickerson in left, Marte in center and Harold Ramirez in right.   Conversely, on the Pirates, the main question is if the team will even have 3 outfielders on the opening day roster.   

This is far from a certainty.  The players most certainly want the DH, and the owners know that.  They tried to trade the DH to keep the extended playoffs, which was just a money grab by the owners.  The players get very little compensation for extended playoffs, but it is a big impact for the owners pockets.

I do not know why anyone enjoys watching pitchers hit. I did not miss watching them helplessly flail at pitches.

Earns my nomination for Post of the Day. When it comes to hitting, pitchers are Suspects at best.
WiffleballHero

No DH in NL next Year

Post by WiffleballHero »

The DH is spectacular, but catchers should also not have to hit. Their value to the team should be defense only, like pitchers. Besides, they clog up the bases in these awesome 17-15 games.

Middle infielders also shouldn't hit. Who wants to see a bunch of defense-first slap hitters in the lineup? It makes no sense to have them hit either. If Manfred were smart, he'd allow at least four designated hitters. I mean if the baseball genius Charlie Finley thought it was a good idea, then it's got to be a fantastic idea.

Frankly, it's also way past time for a designated pitcher. The starting pitcher shouldn't even have to pitch; he should just stand on the mound, (maybe) field his position, and have computer simulations determine game outcomes. Think of the savings in wear and tear for pitchers every year! This pastoral, Civil War-era old fogey game needs to evolve.
DemDog

No DH in NL next Year

Post by DemDog »

497C6B6B60596B6B60676B0E0 wrote: This proves there is a God.  Now, if they'd just get rid of Interleague play and the disaster that is the replay system all will be right with the world.

I'm a Pirates fan.  Nothing will be right in my world until the Pirates win the World Series.

Maybe that's the Pirates' problem! GreenWeinie is a Pirates fan. You know like the Curse of the Bambino or the Curse of Bartman. So now what do we at OBN do to break the Curse of GreenWeenie?
Surgnbuck

No DH in NL next Year

Post by Surgnbuck »

25040C250E06610 wrote: This proves there is a God.  Now, if they'd just get rid of Interleague play and the disaster that is the replay system all will be right with the world.

I'm a Pirates fan.  Nothing will be right in my world until the Pirates win the World Series.

Maybe that's the Pirates' problem!  GreenWeinie is a Pirates fan.  You know like the Curse of the Bambino or the Curse of Bartman.  So now what do we at OBN do to break the Curse of GreenWeenie? 

He'll probably mention WWD and me paying up on our bets. Now, IDK about WWD and him, but GW once again made a pot shot that carries a 15 yard personal foul penalty, or at least forcing Doc to watch a pierogi race.

He was the one who wanted me to pay up on a visit to a Pirates series in Phillies. He knew the risk of that, because of my work schedule, and then opportunity was further complicated by these simple things called MAJOR SURGERY.

GW, he's all or nothing man. 115 win season and no WS title? Big deal. Movie grosses 10 billion world wide, but no best picture Oscar? Trash.

Maybe me and WWD should just send him gift certificates. That might get us to the NLCS at least.
Bobster21

No DH in NL next Year

Post by Bobster21 »

6E505F5F555C5B585555715C4B56390 wrote: The DH is spectacular, but catchers should also not have to hit.  Their value to the team should be defense only, like pitchers.  Besides, they clog up the bases in these awesome 17-15 games.

Middle infielders also shouldn't hit.  Who wants to see a bunch of defense-first slap hitters in the lineup?  It makes no sense to have them hit either.  If Manfred were smart, he'd allow at least four designated hitters.  I mean if the baseball genius Charlie Finley thought it was a good idea, then it's got to be a fantastic idea.

Frankly, it's also way past time for a designated pitcher.  The starting pitcher shouldn't even have to pitch; he should just stand on the mound, (maybe) field his position, and have computer simulations determine game outcomes.  Think of the savings in wear and tear for pitchers every year!  This pastoral, Civil War-era old fogey game needs to evolve.
This year they even had designated fans. ;D
DemDog

No DH in NL next Year

Post by DemDog »

614C41505746511112230 wrote: The DH is spectacular, but catchers should also not have to hit.  Their value to the team should be defense only, like pitchers.  Besides, they clog up the bases in these awesome 17-15 games.

Middle infielders also shouldn't hit.  Who wants to see a bunch of defense-first slap hitters in the lineup?  It makes no sense to have them hit either.  If Manfred were smart, he'd allow at least four designated hitters.  I mean if the baseball genius Charlie Finley thought it was a good idea, then it's got to be a fantastic idea.

Frankly, it's also way past time for a designated pitcher.  The starting pitcher shouldn't even have to pitch; he should just stand on the mound, (maybe) field his position, and have computer simulations determine game outcomes.  Think of the savings in wear and tear for pitchers every year!  This pastoral, Civil War-era old fogey game needs to evolve.
This year they even had designated fans.  ;D

And this year they will have designate remote fans! ;D Unless the COGW (Curse of GreenWeenie) sizzles the remote feed! ;D ;D
ChillinStation

No DH in NL next Year

Post by ChillinStation »

I had hoped the NL would have the DH from now on. :-/

Silly to have pitchers trying to hit . All that strategy BS is old thinking.
2drfischer@gmail.c

No DH in NL next Year

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

427C73737970777479795D70677A150 wrote: The DH is spectacular, but catchers should also not have to hit.  Their value to the team should be defense only, like pitchers.  Besides, they clog up the bases in these awesome 17-15 games.

Well done! ;D
GreenWeenie

No DH in NL next Year

Post by GreenWeenie »

2209080D0D080F32150015080E0F610 wrote: I had hoped the NL would have the DH from now on.  :-/

Silly to have pitchers trying to hit . All that strategy BS is old thinking.

Great "strategy" today! "Walk the guy.  The pitcher's up next."  We see this ten times for every reason to even think about pulling a pitcher for a PH.

NL pitchers should man up, grow a set of nuts, and face 9 guys who can do some damage.  Walk a guy in the AL, and there's a price to pay for it.

SCBucco

No DH in NL next Year

Post by SCBucco »

No DH, so we can officially trade Bell.