Back to Henry Davis

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Back to Henry Davis

Post by Bobster21 »

526C6961726A6A614164736037050 wrote: I haven't said much regarding Henry Davis playing Right Field and being the DH instead of Catching. I have been reading what other baseball people have said. I read what former Manager Joe Maddon said about Davis. He has only caught 48 games in the Minors. Batting and Fielding is tough enough in the Majors without

putting someone in the most difficult position in baseball. He goes on to say he realizes fan frustration with Hedges and his anemic batting average. He expects Davis will be catching after he gets his feet on the ground
In college he only caught. He started 78 games at catcher in the minors. I think that's where he's most comfortable. He only started 17 games in the OF in the minors. He should be catching.
Just telling you what the article said regarding number of games. Remember he was out a lot with injuries. I am sure he feels more comfortable catching but it is also more demanding physically and mentally. Much more to think about just coming up. I am sure he will be catching soon
Here's his minor league defensive stats. It was 78.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... vis-004hen
JollyRoger

Back to Henry Davis

Post by JollyRoger »

68494168434B2C0 wrote: Joe Maddon is no dummy.  I think Davis should go to the instructional league this winter and then play some winter ball or go to one of the Driveline Academy's catching instructional camps.

Gotta disagree with you here Possum.

Davis is 23 years old and has played/caught over 254 games between college and the minors

For comparison, Johnny Bench and Joe Mauer were in the majors at 20 and 21 years old with close to the same amount of games played as Davis before hitting the Majors.

You can already tell that Davis will be a leader and according to everyone who knows him and has spoken about him, his work ethic is second to none.

What Davis will supply offensively will more than make up for any defensive shortcomings that may or may not exist.

He doesn’t need some more instructional league BS

Put Davis behind the plate and let Hedges mentor him until it is time to release either Hedges or Delay[reason]PS[/reason]
Bobster21

Back to Henry Davis

Post by Bobster21 »

According to baseball reference, Davis has caught in 197 games between college and the minors but only 92 of them were starts.

ArnoldRothstein

Back to Henry Davis

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

466B66777061763635040 wrote: According to baseball reference, Davis has caught in 197 games between college and the minors but only 92 of them were starts. 

I think the blank spaces under GS for the college years mean unknown, rather than 0.
GreenWeenie

Back to Henry Davis

Post by GreenWeenie »

Having Davis as an outfielder makes about as much sense as if they made Roberto Clemente catch.

If he's too raw to catch, then he should remain in the minors.  He's a grown man.  The pitchers are capable of adapting to him.  He's fully capable of catching.

Hedges isn't cutting it.  His salary is no reason to play him.  That's the 5 million reasons that he's even still on the team.  If Hedges is so valuable, trade him today to fill one of our needs.  If he has value, a contender will want him.  If none do, we have our answer about his value to our team.

Ignore what Maddon says.  Go by his record.  Did he ever have a prime catching draft pick like Davis?  Did Maddon ever put him somewhere else?  I'd be surprised if he did.  Yet, he's telling people what the Pirates should do.
JollyRoger

Back to Henry Davis

Post by JollyRoger »

7F525F4E49584F0F0C3D0 wrote: According to baseball reference, Davis has caught in 197 games between college and the minors but only 92 of them were starts. 

He also played in the AFL IIRC
DemDog

Back to Henry Davis

Post by DemDog »

103536362308353D3F285A0 wrote: Joe Maddon is no dummy.  I think Davis should go to the instructional league this winter and then play some winter ball or go to one of the Driveline Academy's catching instructional camps.

Gotta disagree with you here Possum.

Davis is 23 years old and has played/caught over 254 games between college and the minors

For comparison, Johnny Bench and Joe Mauer were in the majors at 20 and 21 years old with close to the same amount of games played as Davis before hitting the Majors.

You can already tell that Davis will be a leader and according to everyone who knows him and has spoken about him, his work ethic is second to none.

What Davis will supply offensively will more than make up for any defensive shortcomings that may or may not exist.

He doesn’t need some more instructional league BS

Put Davis behind the plate and let Hedges mentor him until it is time to release either Hedges or Delay[reason]PS[/reason]

I have no problem with what you are saying. That is why OBN is a discussion forum. You have made a good point. Which ever one of us is correct I hope the Bucs have him catching as soon as possible.