Potential OF's Available to Fill RF til Polanco returns

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

The hard part about going for a 'Yelich' level player is that the Bucs have little to offer in talent at the major league level, particularly since they are losing depth on the roster at an alarming rate, and they really need most of the better quality talent in the minors.

I would be really hesitant to trade Keller, Hayes, Cole, Kramer, Newman, et al, even though most are not all-stars, and also realizing that most would not bring a Yelich level talent. As I posted last week, if the Bucs want to make a trade, their best tradable talent (other than a young starting pitcher) is Vasquez. And with Santana out for next year, and Kela looking like a mystery man, not sure they could afford to deal Vasquez.

I know it likely is a real stretch, and that his current AB's is a very small sample size, but perhaps they could nurse some combo of Reyes, Osuna and Luplow in RF until Polanco returns. Reyes, at a minimum, adds defense and speed, and if he can hit and hit near the top of the order, Marte or Frazier can slide down.

While I am not sold on either Osuna or Luplow, both have produced at AAA in the past.

Like others, I am not enamored by most of the players of the FA list; particularly don't want a Joyce or Bautista type bargain.

Hope that the Bucs can take at least one of three against the Reds this weekend so they can finish with a winning record. Finishing above .500, however, will be a challenge with so many of the starters no longer available. Kingham tonight. Geez, maybe Holmes on Sunday. And we're playing in Cincinnati! ERA's could take a real beating.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

0C20282F2403342232410 wrote: The hard part about going for a 'Yelich' level player is that the Bucs have little to offer in talent at the major league level, particularly since they are losing depth on the roster at an alarming rate, and they really need most of the better quality talent in the minors.

I would be really hesitant to trade Keller, Hayes, Cole, Kramer, Newman, et al, even though most are not all-stars, and also realizing that most would not bring a Yelich level talent.  As I posted last week, if the Bucs want to make a trade, their best tradable talent (other than a young starting pitcher) is Vasquez.  And with Santana out for next year, and Kela looking like a mystery man, not sure they could afford to deal Vasquez.

I know it likely is a real stretch, and that his current AB's is a very small sample size, but perhaps they could nurse some combo of Reyes, Osuna and Luplow in RF until Polanco returns.  Reyes, at a minimum, adds defense and speed, and if he can hit and hit near the top of the order, Marte or Frazier can slide down. 

While I am not sold on either Osuna or Luplow, both have produced at AAA in the past. 

Like others, I am not enamored by most of the players of the FA list; particularly don't want a Joyce or Bautista type bargain.

Hope that the Bucs can take at least one of three against the Reds this weekend so they can finish with a winning record.   Finishing above .500, however, will be a challenge with so many of the starters no longer available.   Kingham tonight.  Geez, maybe Holmes on Sunday. And we're playing in Cincinnati!   ERA's could take a real beating.          

Mainer points out why it is tricky to plan for next year. Neither Osuna or Luplow had much production in Pittsburgh. What can the Bucs reasonably expect to get from them? Do the Pirate internal evaluations show they can improve or have they maxed out? The answer to that should help decide who to bring in for next year.
RichD

Post by RichD »

I would still like the Bucs to go after 1B AJ Reed from Houston .He has fallen out of favor. He will hit 250 with 25 + HR we need that. Move Bell to the OF. Simple.

Bell rf

Marte cf

Dickerson lf

Luplow /Reyes of/if

Why cant Bell go back to OF that is what he has been until a few years ago  ?

Can you imagine

Reed 25+ hr

Bell 20 hr

Kang 20 hr

Marte 15 hr

Cervelli/Diaz 20 hr

Dickerson /Luplow/Reyes 25 + hr

Frazier/Kramer/Moran 30 hr

That's not unreasonable.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

Pass on Cutch. Why bring him back? He isn't a difference maker anymore. Time for fans to move on from this file.

Give me Marwin Gonzales. Is versatile enough when Polanco comes back, he can move around in the infield. Can play 1st, 2B and SS ... in a pinch 3B too. Too logical.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I too like Gonzalez. He is versatile and has a decent bat. I also believe he is a switch hitter. I do believe the Pirates will make a run at him.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

505C5D060F060E03041B01360 wrote: I too like Gonzalez. He is versatile and has a decent bat. I also believe he is a switch hitter. I do believe the Pirates will make a run at him.

Came back to earth a bit with his bat. That might help Pittsburgh be in it if they chase him. Provides decent power.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

4B4340776144636C020 wrote: I like the idea of Cargo.

And honestly, name aside, I'd say McCutchen. Aside from being right handed, I think he actually fits the bill for what they need.
Forget Cargo. Look at his home/away splits. His OPS was in the 600s away from the thin air.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

6878794E5858543B0 wrote: Pass on Cutch.  Why bring him back?  He isn't a difference maker anymore.  Time for fans to move on from this file.

Give me Marwin Gonzales.  Is versatile enough when Polanco comes back, he can move around in the infield.  Can play 1st, 2B and SS ... in a pinch 3B too.  Too logical.
Yup. He’s the guy I think they should target. Veteranosity and versatility for Clint.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

6F786E594F4F432C0 wrote: Pass on Cutch.  Why bring him back?  He isn't a difference maker anymore.  Time for fans to move on from this file.

Give me Marwin Gonzales.  Is versatile enough when Polanco comes back, he can move around in the infield.  Can play 1st, 2B and SS ... in a pinch 3B too.  Too logical.
Yup. He’s the guy I think they should target. Veteranosity and versatility for Clint.

tell him our missing ingredient is World Series experience. He made 5 million this season, maybe $22 over 3 years, 26 over 4 years would do it.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

I've been persuaded to board the Marwin Gonzalez train! His versatility creates a place for him after Polanco's return. He's got some power.

A longer look at Lonnie Chisenhall has scared me off due to injury concerns.