Pirates on MLB Network 30/30 at 7 pm today March 2.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I don’t think they will lose 113 either. This team is not very good don’t get me wrong but I just don’t think they are gonna be historically bad either. I think they will probably lose over 100 games for sure but I think they flirt with at least 60 wins.
BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

22203A3C2A4F0 wrote: I think Hayes had his shot last year. Even though they still call him a prospect, I look at this as his sophomore season. Pitchers will have adjusted, etc. The question now is will he be able to readjust.

Hayes is eligible for ROY this year. Not repeating his 202 OPS+ is a safe bet.
BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

606C6D363F363E33342B31060 wrote:

I did not see the show last night, but I am surprised they predicted 49 wins. I am no expert like the guys on MLB Network, but right of the bat the Pirates will be better at the corners this year.  I liked Josh Bell, but he was not a good first baseman. Moran had little range at third base, so now he and Frazier will play first, and Hayes a gold glove minor league will play third. Whatever Goodwin, and Alford hit this year will be much better than Dyson. Reynolds throughout his baseball career has always hit. Maybe he wont hit .300, but if he hits below .280 then he is not a player for the Pirates future. I also don't think Polanco will hit a buck 80 this season.  The rotation of Brault, Kuhl, Anderson and Keller are not the Dodgers of the 1960's , but they will win their share of games. I expect the bullpen to be better this year, no DelPoso, and some other failed pitchers. I have not yet made my prediction on the Only Bucs poll, but I am thinking somewhere around 65 t0 68 wins. I will make a prediction before Opening Day, and I am sure it will be greater than 50 wins.

There is just an incredible amount of unknowns on the team. The Pitching staff could range from decent to awful, hard to say any of the starters are safe bets to be mid rotation types going forward. Adam Frazier is the only starting position player with any kind of solid track record. Moran should be shipped out if he starts hot, his .750 OPS is not going to cut it at 1B.

I could see Reynolds and Frazier bouncing back, but Newman could just be not good. He certainly is a liability playing short.