All Star Game

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

All Star Game

Post by GreenWeenie »

5D707D6C6B7A6D2D2E1F0 wrote: Come on.  Uniforms take joy out of a game?

First, it's the announcers....

It's the game!  One guy out there with eight of his pals, trying all they can to get that one guy out there with a piece of wood in his hands OUT.

And the guy with that stick trying everything he can to piss all nine of them off!

May the best man win.

Batter's up.  Play ball!
I always loved seeing that Pirate uniform on the field with the all-stars. But that's gone now. :(

Me, as well. Nothing beats seeing your favorite player deserving to be there- and, do well.

I can get past wardrobe if I have to. Chances are, they'll be wearing some other team's uniform eventually, anyway.
2drfischer@gmail.c

All Star Game

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

6E434E5F58495E1E1D2C0 wrote: I still like the All Star Game, but not like I used to when I was younger.  And I still think it’s a good idea to include at least one player from each team.  Seeing all of the teams’ uniforms on the same field is one of the coolest sights for me.

What I miss is how much the players from previous times wanted to beat the other league in the game.  Yeah, they got a bigger game check, but I think they genuinely wanted to win for bragging rights.  Before Interleague play, the two leagues were very different.  It was rare when a player would be traded from a team in one league to a team in the other.  The ASG was the only time during the season, except for the World Series, that the players could show each other how good they were.

The Game today is truly an exhibition.  Guys seem to be interested in playing a few innings and then getting to the airport. 
Forget it. As usual, MLB is taking the joy out of the game. Teams will no longer where their uniforms for the AS game. They will where a generic AS uniform and hat that includes the city's 1st 3 letters with team emblem overlayed on it.

craptastic All-Star uniforms

That’s disappointing to hear.  I’m guessing the owners did this to make a buck.  Wonder what took them so long?  And by the way, those uniforms are really stupid looking.  I hope MLB gets overwhelming criticism for them and hardly any are bought by fans.
BenM

All Star Game

Post by BenM »

207660747B61717A776052757F737B7E3C71120 wrote: I still like the All Star Game, but not like I used to when I was younger.  And I still think it’s a good idea to include at least one player from each team.  Seeing all of the teams’ uniforms on the same field is one of the coolest sights for me.

What I miss is how much the players from previous times wanted to beat the other league in the game.  Yeah, they got a bigger game check, but I think they genuinely wanted to win for bragging rights.  Before Interleague play, the two leagues were very different.  It was rare when a player would be traded from a team in one league to a team in the other.  The ASG was the only time during the season, except for the World Series, that the players could show each other how good they were.

The Game today is truly an exhibition.  Guys seem to be interested in playing a few innings and then getting to the airport. 
Forget it. As usual, MLB is taking the joy out of the game. Teams will no longer where their uniforms for the AS game. They will where a generic AS uniform and hat that includes the city's 1st 3 letters with team emblem overlayed on it.

That’s disappointing to hear.  I’m guessing the owners did this to make a buck.  Wonder what took them so long?  And by the way, those uniforms are really stupid looking.  I hope MLB gets overwhelming criticism for them and hardly any are bought by fans.

You can blame Nike. They took over the MLB contract last year.

I like the away blue jerseys. Home, not so much.
2drfischer@gmail.c

All Star Game

66414A69240 wrote: I still like the All Star Game, but not like I used to when I was younger.  And I still think it’s a good idea to include at least one player from each team.  Seeing all of the teams’ uniforms on the same field is one of the coolest sights for me.

For me, even if the All Star uniforms were exceptional looking, I would still prefer the players wear their own uniforms during the game.  The sight of various unis on the field at one time is just a really cool thing to see.
bucs607179

All Star Game

Post by bucs607179 »

Bright side of the ASG for Pirate management is the money they save. I'm guessing a lot of players have an incentive clause in their contract if they make the ASG. Not something BUC management has to fear.
WildwoodDave2

All Star Game

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

267066727D67777C7166547379757D783A77140 wrote: I still like the All Star Game, but not like I used to when I was younger.  And I still think it’s a good idea to include at least one player from each team.  Seeing all of the teams’ uniforms on the same field is one of the coolest sights for me.

For me, even if the All Star uniforms were exceptional looking, I would still prefer the players wear their own uniforms during the game.  The sight of various unis on the field at one time is just a really cool thing to see.

I always liked that as well
Bobster21

All Star Game

Post by Bobster21 »

043A3F37243C3C371732253661530 wrote: I still like the All Star Game, but not like I used to when I was younger.  And I still think it’s a good idea to include at least one player from each team.  Seeing all of the teams’ uniforms on the same field is one of the coolest sights for me.

I guess this is just another step in MLB's marketing of the game to emphasize individuals rather than teams. Free agency and the financial aspects of MLB result in star players changing teams often. I guess MLB is thinking fans now watch the game to see star players more so than representatives of their own teams. I've always liked the mandatory representation rule of at least 1 player from each team because I always wanted to see that Pirate uniform among the other all-stars. But with MLB removing that aspect of the game, I guess it no longer matters if every team is represented. So I would be fine with them no longer requiring a player from each team. I don't need to see a Pirate in his generic NL uniform.
GreenWeenie

All Star Game

Post by GreenWeenie »

Maybe it's a game.

Guys on a team wear the same uniform. It's why they're called....uniforms. It's the AL vs. NL.

Who knows?

I always liked the uniforms from each club, too, but things change. {Shrug} Not like it will change the outcome.
Bobster21

All Star Game

Post by Bobster21 »

7B4E5959526B59595255593C0 wrote: Maybe it's a game.

Guys on a team wear the same uniform.  It's why they're called....uniforms.  It's the AL vs. NL.

Who knows? 

I always liked the uniforms from each club, too, but things change.  {Shrug}  Not like it will change the outcome.
Change isn't always better.
2drfischer@gmail.c

All Star Game

4F626F7E79687F3F3C0D0 wrote: I still like the All Star Game, but not like I used to when I was younger.  And I still think it’s a good idea to include at least one player from each team.  Seeing all of the teams’ uniforms on the same field is one of the coolest sights for me.

I guess this is just another step in MLB's marketing of the game to emphasize individuals rather than teams. Free agency and the financial aspects of MLB result in star players changing teams often. I guess MLB is thinking fans now watch the game to see star players more so than representatives of their own teams. I've always liked the mandatory representation rule of at least 1 player from each team because I always wanted to see that Pirate uniform among the other all-stars. [highlight]But with MLB removing that aspect of the game, I guess it no longer matters if every team is represented.[/highlight] So I would be fine with them no longer requiring a player from each team. I don't need to see a Pirate in his generic NL uniform.

Baseball's always been a very parochial game. Home town teams have always been a source of pride throughout its history. For me, and I'm sure for many others, if the Pirates aren't represented in the All Star Game, I doubt I'd watch any part of it. In addition, a decision to not include at least one player from every team would especially affect the small market teams because fewer stars play in those cities. It would just mean a further separation from the haves and the have nots.