Cole Tucker

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dmetz

Cole Tucker

Post by dmetz »

Nope. I think we likely have zero stars right now coming through. At least, AA and closer I don't see stars.

Some so-so starters, mostly backups. Guys below AA I don't have any idea
johnfluharty

Cole Tucker

Post by johnfluharty »

4C454D5C52280 wrote: Nope.  I think we likely have zero stars right now coming through. At least, AA and closer I don't see stars.

Some so-so starters, mostly backups.   Guys below AA I don't have any idea

I am inclined to agree with you. Meadows is one people like to talk about, but he was not exactly tearing up AAA even when he was healthy.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Cole Tucker

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

3B3E393F373D243930232528510 wrote: Nope.  I think we likely have zero stars right now coming through. At least, AA and closer I don't see stars.

I am inclined to agree with you.   Meadows is one people like to talk about, but he was not exactly tearing up AAA even when he was healthy. 

Wasn't Meadows one of the youngest players in Triple A (the league Indy plays in)?
notes34

Cole Tucker

Post by notes34 »

6B626A7B750F0 wrote: Nope.  I think we likely have zero stars right now coming through. At least, AA and closer I don't see stars.

I agree with you. I don't see any stars. Maybe Keller becomes a #2. Meadows has potential, but I'm not a big believer. I wanted him packaged last offseason when he had higher value. I don't think the cupboard is bare, I think there are going to be some decent MLB players coming through in the next couple of years. I don't see the next Cutch anywhere in sight.
INbuc

Cole Tucker

Post by INbuc »

dmetz is a killjoy. But he may be right...we might not have any stars coming. It was irresponsible to use the star word about Tucker at this point. But I am quite eager to see Meadows, Luplow, and Tucker in the next few years. I think they can all be very good players. This is not an easy path these guys are on -- there will be bumps on the road.

I think Moroff can be a stat stuffer too. Newman and Diaz, not so much. Newman might be a high-average infielder but he has zero power component to his swing.

Aside from finding a new owner, priority one should be finding a new catcher. Diaz might be backup of the future--if he can hold off Stallings--but we need a stud behind the plate. There are no catchers in the top 30, and maybe the next 30. Maybe someone like Stafford will emerge. If not, perhaps NH could package 20 of our relief pitchers for one decent catching prospect.

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Cole Tucker

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Maybe "star" isn't the right word? I think Taillon and Bell are two examples of what I mean. Bell isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Taillon can be a front line starter. Even if they never make an all star game, they can both still be very big impact players.

I don't consider Mercer a "star" but he is a solid major leaguer and a starter on many teams. I am hoping for players that are better than the average at their position. Mercer is probably very average amongst short stops.

Bobster21

Cole Tucker

Post by Bobster21 »

7E757D7174756E2B2D5A637B7275753479751A0 wrote: Maybe "star" isn't the right word?  I think Taillon and Bell are two examples of what I mean.  Bell isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  Taillon can be a front line starter.  Even if they never make an all star game, they can both still be very big impact players.

I don't consider Mercer a "star" but he is a solid major leaguer and a starter on many teams.  I am hoping for players that are better than the average at their position.  Mercer is probably very average amongst short stops. 
That's a valid point. I don't think any team can build a champion just with their own prospects. If lucky, you might get 1 or 2 truly star players out of your system at the same time. But that usually doesn't happen. What is far more likely is that a team can produce a number of solid players who may be better than average. Then you supplement that solid core to add an impact player or two via trade or free agency. This is where the Pirate plan falls short. Not that they never supplement externally. But those additions are always reclamation projects or dumpster dives. Sometimes it works out. At age 35 after 2 bad seasons, Burnett had more left in the tank that expected. After his hitting declined 4 straight years, Russell Martin gave the Pirates a big lift. After seeing their careers headed in the wrong direction, Happ, Volquez and Liriano had success as Pirates. Of course, it wasn't enough to get past a division series. And the Pirates didn't keep any of them very long. The point is the Pirates don't supplement a solid core with proven impact players. That costs money they won't spend. So it seems that even when they internally develop a solid core, still come up short.

Ecbucs

Cole Tucker

Post by Ecbucs »

4D606D7C7B6A7D3D3E0F0 wrote: Maybe "star" isn't the right word?  I think Taillon and Bell are two examples of what I mean.  Bell isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  Taillon can be a front line starter.  Even if they never make an all star game, they can both still be very big impact players.

I don't consider Mercer a "star" but he is a solid major leaguer and a starter on many teams.  I am hoping for players that are better than the average at their position.  Mercer is probably very average amongst short stops. 
That's a valid point. I don't think any team can build a champion just with their own prospects. If lucky, you might get 1 or 2 truly star players out of your system at the same time. But that usually doesn't happen. What is far more likely is that a team can produce a number of solid players who may be better than average. Then you supplement that solid core to add an impact player or two via trade or free agency. This is where the Pirate plan falls short. Not that they never supplement externally. But those additions are always reclamation projects or dumpster dives. Sometimes it works out. At age 35 after 2 bad seasons, Burnett had more left in the tank that expected. After his hitting declined 4 straight years, Russell Martin gave the Pirates a big lift. After seeing their careers headed in the wrong direction, Happ, Volquez and Liriano had success as Pirates. Of course, it wasn't enough to get past a division series. And the Pirates didn't keep any of them very long. The point is the Pirates don't supplement a solid core with proven impact players. That costs money they won't spend. [highlight]So it seems that even when they internally develop a solid core, still come up short. [/highlight]

Pretty good plan unless the fans catch on.
fjk090852-7

Cole Tucker

Post by fjk090852-7 »

So far in the Fall League Tucker is holding his own. I know he had a mediocre year at Altoona this season, but if he continues to do well in the Fall League let him see what he does in ST. Many teams are not like the Pirates who advance their prospects from one classification to another before they bring them to the big leagues. If Tucker would skip AAA next year and play shortstop for the Bucs and hit .245 , play solid defense and steal 30 bases ,I believe that would be a decent rookie season. I also think he would become a fan favorite because of his personality. I am sure he won’t make the Bucs roster in 2019, but I think he could hit better than Newman , and would be a cheaper option than a free agent shortstop.
SammyKhalifa

Cole Tucker

Post by SammyKhalifa »

242829727B727A77706F75420 wrote: So far in the Fall League Tucker is holding his own. I know he had a mediocre year at Altoona this season, but if he continues to do well in the Fall League let him see what he does in ST. Many teams are not like the Pirates who advance  their prospects from one classification to another before they bring them to the big leagues. If Tucker would skip AAA next year and play shortstop for the Bucs and hit .245 , play solid defense and steal 30 bases ,I believe that would be a decent rookie season. I also think he would become a fan favorite because of his personality. I am sure he won’t make the Bucs roster in 2019, but I think he could hit better than Newman , and would be a cheaper option than a free agent shortstop.

I don't know. Every player is a different case of course, but we seem to have a history of bringing up guys "too soon" despite fans thinking the team waited too long.