Official Game Thread - 4/12 - Bucs vs Padres

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Very nice game for Cahill. Good to see after his poor first start.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Uh-oh. :(
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

There goes the winning streak. :(
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

just got home and looked at box score. Sort of surprised that Oviedo was put in during a tie game.

Doesn't look like it mattered with Darvish out there, but still have to wonder about it.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

466061766070030 wrote: just got home and looked at box score.  Sort of surprised that Oviedo was put in during a tie game.

Doesn't look like it mattered with Darvish out there, but still have to wonder about it.

Just another troublesome Shelton decision. Olviedo is a Rule 5 guy who never pitched higher than A-ball. He should be used accordingly. Mop up duty when it won't hurt the team. That's how he was used in his first game when he entered in the 8th trailing 5-1 and faced the bottom 3 in the order. He got them out and was immediately thrust into high leverage situations. Two days later he was the first guy called from the BP to protect a 2-1 lead in the 5th. He gave up a HR to tie the game.

Oblivious to his mistake, Shelton again makes him the first guy out of the BP in a 1-1 game in the 6th. Again Olviedo fails, giving up 3 runs with a walk, HR, single and double. Incredibly, Shelton sends him back out in the 7th where Olviedo gives up 2 more runs with a walk and 2 singles before finally being mercifully pulled with 2 outs. So a 1-1 game in the 6th becomes a 6-1 game in the 7th.

It's not Olviedo's fault. He's not ready for MLB and that's expected as a Rule 5 guy. But it's stunning that Shelton--on the basis of 1 successful outing vs the bottom 3 in the order in a low leverage situation--suddenly makes him the first guy from the BP in 2 close games. Not really surprising that he failed both times. But coming on the heels of numerous questionable decisions by Shelton in the short 2020 season, it's disturbing to see him being so illogical already in 2021.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Plus, Cahill I thought was pitching well and could have gotten through at least the 6th inning. He had 9 strikeouts through 5 innings and his pitch count wasn’t terribly high either. There was no need to pinch hit Polanco of all people for Cahill in the bottom of the 5th with 2 outs and nobody on base in a 1-1 ballgame. Polanco did his usual and had a terrible at-bat and struck out I believe on 4 pitches. But yea I thought it was a terrible move by Shelton and one of the worst I think he has made so far this season through 10 games.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

1E39282C29340B3F282929344D0 wrote: Plus, Cahill I thought was pitching well and could have gotten through at least the 6th inning. He had 9 strikeouts through 5 innings and his pitch count wasn’t terribly high either. There was no need to pinch hit Polanco of all people for Cahill in the bottom of the 5th with 2 outs and nobody on base in a 1-1 ballgame. Polanco did his usual and had a terrible at-bat and struck out I believe on 4 pitches. But yea I thought it was a terrible move by Shelton and one of the worst I think he has made so far this season through 10 games.
When you think that Polanco can't be any worse, he is
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

022F22333425327271400 wrote: just got home and looked at box score.  Sort of surprised that Oviedo was put in during a tie game.

Just another troublesome Shelton decision. Olviedo is a Rule 5 guy who never pitched higher than A-ball. He should be used accordingly. Mop up duty when it won't hurt the team. That's how he was used in his first game when he entered in the 8th trailing 5-1 and faced the bottom 3 in the order. He got them out and was immediately thrust into high leverage situations. Two days later he was the first guy called from the BP to protect a 2-1 lead in the 5th. He gave up a HR to tie the game.

Oblivious to his mistake, Shelton again makes him the first guy out of the BP in a 1-1 game in the 6th. Again Olviedo fails, giving up 3 runs with a walk, HR, single and double. Incredibly, Shelton sends him back out in the 7th where Olviedo gives up 2 more runs with a walk and 2 singles before finally being mercifully pulled with 2 outs. So a 1-1 game in the 6th becomes a 6-1 game in the 7th.

It's not Olviedo's fault. He's not ready for MLB and that's expected as a Rule 5 guy. But it's stunning that Shelton--on the basis of 1 successful outing vs the bottom 3 in the order in a low leverage situation--suddenly makes him the first guy from the BP in 2 close games. Not really surprising that he failed both times. But coming on the heels of numerous questionable decisions by Shelton in the short 2020 season, it's disturbing to see him being so illogical already in 2021. 
Maybe Olviedo is Cherington's ticket for another #1 pick
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

426465726474070 wrote: just got home and looked at box score.  Sort of surprised that Oviedo was put in during a tie game.

I didn't like the move. Sure it was a long relief spot, but the tie score made it high leverage relief. I was disappointed in Shelton's decision. I hope he learns from it.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

5E737E6F68796E2E2D1C0 wrote: just got home and looked at box score.  Sort of surprised that Oviedo was put in during a tie game.

Couldn't have said it better myself, Bobster!