Starting Pitching

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

Starting Pitching

Post by CarolinaBucco »

This has been my point all offseason. Everyone seems to be singing the praises of how great this staff is. And man I hope they're right, and there certainly is potential ... but this staff is VERY shaky and not nearly deep enough.

We "might" have 4 good starters.

But to prepare for the inevitable injuries and at least one starter struggling and underperforming, you need at least 7 capable starters in my opinion, and no fewer than 6.

We have 4, if you count Musgrove ... who still has a lot to prove IMO.

I simply can't believe this front office didn't go out and get 2 REAL starters this offseason ... amazing that they are content with Kingham, Brault and Lyles. How in the world are they content to sit idly by and not sign Gio Gonzalez or God forbid someone really good like Keuchel. SO FRUSTRATING ...
iabucco

Starting Pitching

Post by iabucco »

How much would Kuechel cost? I don't know how good he is but he is an innings eater and a lefty.
PMike

Starting Pitching

Post by PMike »

232B283F2929254A0 wrote: How much would Kuechel cost?  I don't know how good he is but he is an innings eater and a lefty. 

I've been wondering the same thing. Here we are well in to spring training and he isn't signed. My guess is that he wants more years rather than more per year. If I were the Pirates, I'd love to throw a 2 year $20 million per year contract at him.
ScottinMass

Starting Pitching

Post by ScottinMass »

For what it's worth Keller is getting bombed again today against the Blue Jays....4 ER, and 2 HR in 1.2 IP so far... a not so good 24.55 ERA so far this spring
Bobster21

Starting Pitching

Post by Bobster21 »

302D090B05600 wrote: How much would Kuechel cost?  I don't know how good he is but he is an innings eater and a lefty. 

I've been wondering the same thing.  Here we are well in to spring training and he isn't signed.  My guess is that he wants more years rather than more per year.  If I were the Pirates, I'd love to throw a 2 year $20 million per year contract at him.
I've read he's received offers from the Astros and Phillies. But his agent is Scott Boras and he isn't satisfied with the offers. Rest assured it won't be the Pirates who make an offer that satisfies Boras.
PMike

Starting Pitching

Post by PMike »

507D70616677602023120 wrote: How much would Kuechel cost?  I don't know how good he is but he is an innings eater and a lefty. 

I've been wondering the same thing.  Here we are well in to spring training and he isn't signed.  My guess is that he wants more years rather than more per year.  If I were the Pirates, I'd love to throw a 2 year $20 million per year contract at him.
I've read he's received offers from the Astros and Phillies. But his agent is Scott Boras and he isn't satisfied with the offers. Rest assured it won't be the Pirates who make an offer that satisfies Boras.

I'll bet the Phillies would have made a pretty legit offer. They are all in right now and have a contending team. Their SP is a bit thing. Keuchel would make a big difference for him