07/31/2019 Trade Deadline

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Leyland1948

Post by Leyland1948 »

Lets all be honest with ourselves, this is not a playoff team and listening to management say they could be is ridiculous. Who makes sense to be traded and options on what fair return would be. Dickerson will cost to much, Polanco has limited return in my opinion. I would be interested in what the return might be for Marte. Thoughts?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Anyone who is a FA after the season is fair game. Dickerson, Cabrera, Lyles, Liriano. None will bring much. Dickerson should have the most trade value but, like the others, he can walk after the season so no team will pay much to have him for 2 months. But NH loves prospects so they will likely trade one or all for some A or modest AA prospects.
gileszee

Post by gileszee »

I would offload Archer and Dickerson for Hunter Renfroe and a marginal pitching prospect.  Bell needs someone behind him with power to protect him.

Trade Polanco to an American league team like the Rangers for Minor.  He can DH from now on.

Vasquez to the Dodgers for Ruiz and Urias.

Taillon (Injured) would be the #1

Urias

Williams

Minor

Musgrove

Brault  (Injured) would move out of the rotation if/when Taillon comes back

Newman-SS

Reynolds-LF

Marte-CF

Bell-1B

Renfroe-RF

Moran-3b

Ruiz-C

Frazier-2b

Melky - OF

Kang - 3B/SS

Diaz - C

Osuna - 1B/OF/3B

Kela (Injured)

Crick

Rodriguez

Liriano

Holmes

Feliz

Stratton

Lyles
NJBucsFan

Post by NJBucsFan »

I generally undervalue Polanco to an unfair degree, but even so does he have the bat to DH? I see him as more of a 4th outfielder on a good team than a DH.
gileszee

Post by gileszee »

I personally think his defense devalues his overall game. Rightfully so to a degree. I would hate to lose him like we did Glasnow, but if he could net us a decent pitcher then I am all for it.

For the sake of conversation. I picked out a well known Dominican DH, I compared David Ortiz's stats with Polanco's stats; age 24 to 26.

Somewhat surprisingly, Polanco has very similar number's if not better in some categories over the course of this 3 year stint.

Polanco has 237 more at bats during this time, so I massaged Ortiz's stats based on this discrepancy.

Here is what I came up with; in 1367 at bats:

Polanco scored 6 more runs, 2 less overall hits, 11 less doubles, 6 more triples, 4 less HRs, 14 less RBI's, 33 more steals, 34 less walks and 10 more strikeouts.

BA is 9 points less, OBP is 19 points less and SLG is 23 points less. Overall OPS...Ortiz with .816 and Polanco .773

It is fun speculate. There is a good chance that better Polanco will flourish in a different uniform, sadly. But that is the Pirates for you.

Keep the faith Bucco fans.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

36383D34222B3434510 wrote: I personally think his defense devalues his overall game.  Rightfully so to a degree.  I would hate to lose him like we did Glasnow, but if he could net us a decent pitcher then I am all for it.

For the sake of conversation.  I picked out a well known Dominican DH, I compared David Ortiz's stats with Polanco's stats; age 24 to 26.

Somewhat surprisingly, Polanco has very similar number's if not better in some categories over the course of this 3 year stint.

Polanco has 237 more at bats during this time, so I massaged Ortiz's stats based on this discrepancy.

Here is what I came up with; in 1367 at bats:

Polanco scored 6 more runs, 2 less overall hits, 11 less doubles, 6 more triples, 4 less HRs, 14 less RBI's, 33 more steals, 34 less walks and 10 more strikeouts.

BA is 9 points less, OBP is 19 points less and SLG is 23 points less.  Overall OPS...Ortiz with .816 and Polanco .773

It is fun speculate.  There is a good chance that better Polanco will flourish in a different uniform, sadly.  But that is the Pirates for you.

Keep the faith Bucco fans.

Polanco is the guy I want to believe in, but he always fools me. He strikes me as an enigma. His stock is real low right now as far as trade value.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

56585D54424B5454310 wrote: I would offload Archer and Dickerson for Hunter Renfroe and a marginal pitching prospect.  Bell needs someone behind him with power to protect him.

Trade Polanco to an American league team like the Rangers for Minor.  He can DH from now on.

Vasquez to the Dodgers for Ruiz and Urias.

Taillon (Injured) would be the #1

Urias

Williams

Minor

Musgrove

Brault  (Injured) would move out of the rotation if/when Taillon comes back

Newman-SS

Reynolds-LF

Marte-CF

Bell-1B

Renfroe-RF

Moran-3b

Ruiz-C

Frazier-2b

Melky - OF

Kang - 3B/SS

Diaz - C

Osuna - 1B/OF/3B

Kela (Injured)

Crick

Rodriguez

Liriano

Holmes

Feliz

Stratton

Lyles

Have no problem with Archer and Dickerson to Texas idea, although I would prefer to resign Dickerson. Polanco doesn't have much trade value at all. Liriano is a guy I'd move. Watson was struggling when he was dealt and we got a pretty intriguing prospect in return. Stratton and Lyles, neither do anything for me.

As far as Vasquez and LA ... interesting. I would prefer to call ATLANTA. See if they would go for Newcomb, and two of the following three - Bryse Wilson, Wilson Contreras or Kolby Allard.
gileszee

Post by gileszee »

I genuinely hate the Braves and would not like to see The Nightmare traded to them.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I may be a little more optimistic than most, but I would not deal Vasquez at the deadline. This team needs some tinkering, but it has a group of players to build around. All teams can say if so and so is healthy etc., which is so true for the Pirates. If Taillon gets healthy, and returns to the pitcher he was last season that would be tremendous. Kuhl, Santana, and Burdi hopefully are at full health next season which would be a big boost to the pitching staff. Hopefully Mitch Keller can join the starting staff next season. I am sure the Bucs are going to try to trade Melky, or Dickerson since their contracts are expiring, but at this time I think it would be best to hold onto a player like Marte. If they want to deal him, maybe it would be best to wait until this offseason. A trade of Marte could fill some holes on next years team. Bottom line, I feel if they get some players healthy, and make some adjustments to the roster they can compete next season.
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

I am not sure what to think about Dickerson. I like him but he has not been very good this year. No power, only a decent obp and the defense has not been good. He is a hustle guy and I respect that but if Polanco was putting up the numbers that Dickerson is it would be a big topic of discussion on the board. I really think with him that if he gets hot, trade him asap. However, if he doesn't get hot, I think if they can sign him to a reasonable contract he is a good guy to have around. I just see him as more of a 4th outfielder right now.