One Week Until The International Draft Signing Day

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Next Saturday begins the International Draft signing day. We finally get to read and hear some positive baseball news. Hopefully the Pirates can add talent to their already excellent farm system. I am sure BC and his staff will add some top level players to the System.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

4C40411A131A121F18071D2A0 wrote: Next Saturday begins the International Draft signing day. We finally get to read and hear some positive baseball news. Hopefully the Pirates can add talent to their already excellent farm system. I am sure BC and his staff will add some top level players to the System.
I am not sure how this works. Is there an orderly draft system?
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

6F51545C4F57575C7C594E5D0A380 wrote: Next Saturday begins the International Draft signing day. We finally get to read and hear some positive baseball news. Hopefully the Pirates can add talent to their already excellent farm system. I am sure BC and his staff will add some top level players to the System.

As far as an orderly system, no. I believe the teams can sign any player, but all teams have a set budget to spend. Prior to COVID teams could trade a player for additional signing bonus money. I don’t believe MLB has reinstated this arrangement for this draft again this year.
BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

605E5B53405858537356415205370 wrote: Next Saturday begins the International Draft signing day. We finally get to read and hear some positive baseball news. Hopefully the Pirates can add talent to their already excellent farm system. I am sure BC and his staff will add some top level players to the System.

More like college recruiting.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

04232A2A23303323043325460 wrote: Next Saturday begins the International Draft signing day. We finally get to read and hear some positive baseball news. Hopefully the Pirates can add talent to their already excellent farm system. I am sure BC and his staff will add some top level players to the System.

It is actually not a draft. It is just an International Player Signing Period. In 2022 MLB has set certain amounts of money each team can spend as the custom has been over the last few years. Sort of a bonus system. In 2022 though teams are not allowed to trade for any additional bonus money like they could in the past. So the way this works is that the highest bidder for a player seems to win.
BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

55747C557E76110 wrote: Next Saturday begins the International Draft signing day. We finally get to read and hear some positive baseball news. Hopefully the Pirates can add talent to their already excellent farm system. I am sure BC and his staff will add some top level players to the System.

It is actually not a draft.  It is just an International Player Signing Period.  In 2022 MLB has set certain amounts of money each team can spend as the custom has been over the last few years.  Sort of a bonus system.  In 2022 though teams are not allowed to trade for any additional bonus money like they could in the past.  So the way this works is that the highest bidder for a player seems to win.

I said it was like college recruiting, not a draft.  It is not entirely accurate to say the highest bidder for a player wins.  It has been known where many of these players are going for a long time. It is about building relationships just as much as money.  Rene Gayo proved that pretty well with his mistreatment of Miguel Sano.

These relationships are 2-3 years in the making, and players are generally not scouted anymore once they have an agreement with a team, even though they will not sign for years.

The Pirates are the favorites for the #11 and #12 player according to MLB Pipeline.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

71565F5F56454656714650330 wrote: Next Saturday begins the International Draft signing day. We finally get to read and hear some positive baseball news. Hopefully the Pirates can add talent to their already excellent farm system. I am sure BC and his staff will add some top level players to the System.

It is actually not a draft.  It is just an International Player Signing Period.  In 2022 MLB has set certain amounts of money each team can spend as the custom has been over the last few years.  Sort of a bonus system.  In 2022 though teams are not allowed to trade for any additional bonus money like they could in the past.  So the way this works is that the highest bidder for a player seems to win.

I said it was like college recruiting, not a draft.  It is not entirely accurate to say the highest bidder for a player wins.  It has been known where many of these players are going for a long time. It is about building relationships just as much as money.  Rene Gayo proved that pretty well with his mistreatment of Miguel Sano.

These relationships are 2-3 years in the making, and players are generally not scouted anymore once they have an agreement with a team, even though they will not sign for years.

The Pirates are the favorites for the #11 and #12 player according to MLB Pipeline.

I don't disagree with your college recruiting idea. All I did was make certain that the previous poster understood that it was not a draft. And while you are throwing stones at me for not acknowledging your idea, I will throw them right back at you. Why did you not go into more detail when you said it was like college recruiting? You that while you threw stones.
BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

07262E072C24430 wrote: Next Saturday begins the International Draft signing day. We finally get to read and hear some positive baseball news. Hopefully the Pirates can add talent to their already excellent farm system. I am sure BC and his staff will add some top level players to the System.

I don't disagree with your college recruiting idea.  All I did was make certain that the previous poster understood that it was not a draft.  And while you are throwing stones at me for not acknowledging your idea, I will throw them right back at you.  Why did you not go into more detail when you said it was like college recruiting?  You that while you threw stones. 

What stones are you talking about? You replied to me that it is actually not a draft, when i never said it was a draft. How is that inaccurate?

I don't think you need to go into more detail on what college recruiting is like, but i did already anyways.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

By now I hope that Possum and Bellevue have discovered that they are really not having a disagreement. Misunderstandings occur when people reply to multi-poster threads! :)

If we can sign this Blanco guy I will be one happy fan! We haven't had a power-hitting 1B prospect like that in quite a while!
BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

557F744473656569060 wrote: By now I hope that Possum and Bellevue have discovered that they are really not having a disagreement. Misunderstandings occur when people reply to multi-poster threads!  :)

If we can sign this Blanco guy I will be one happy fan! We haven't had a power-hitting 1B prospect like that in quite a while!

True. Its a complicated process. And these are 13-14 year old kids they are scouting and coming to agreements with.

I do wonder why the Rays fell out of favor with Blanco.