GreensBoro Grasshoppers replacing WV Power as Pirate affilia

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

Post by BenM »

Greensboro just finished its 11th losing season in 16 years as a Marlins affiliate. Even so, the Hoppers led the South Atlantic League in paid attendance for the second consecutive year, selling 322,156 tickets.

They did that going 60-76 this season. Impressive.

Instead, the Marlins (who were previously in Greenboro) have landed in Iowa with the Clinton LumberKings of the Class-A Midwest League. Clinton’s last tenant, the Seattle Mariners, moves to Charleston, W.Va., to replace the Pirates with the West Virginia Power.

Musical chairs!

I feel bad for Pirates fans in WV.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I wonder why the Pirates wanted to move (and why the Power didn't want to stay with them).

the article does say better weather, centrally located in league (to make travel easier) and attendance, over 2 times went West Virginia drew.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

Two things I read yesterday: Greensboro had about 3 times the attendance, and 2) the city is more centrally located within the league, which will significantly cutdown travel times for the team.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Minor league teams seem to move quite a bit. It seems like every year there are multiple switches. Any thought on why that is?
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Sounds like the big losers will be those counting on ticket sales in Morgantown
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

0C2B20034E0 wrote: Greensboro just finished its 11th losing season in 16 years as a Marlins affiliate. Even so, the Hoppers led the South Atlantic League in paid attendance for the second consecutive year, selling 322,156 tickets.

They did that going 60-76 this season. Impressive.

Instead, the Marlins (who were previously in Greenboro) have landed in Iowa with the Clinton LumberKings of the Class-A Midwest League. Clinton’s last tenant, the Seattle Mariners, moves to Charleston, W.Va., to replace the Pirates with the West Virginia Power.

Musical chairs!

I feel bad for Pirates fans in WV.

Glad it was not my beloved WV BlackBears. 

Maybe Nutting can bring in the marketing and management folks from Greensboro to do something to drive up Bucco attendance. They should come cheap!
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

586A66667240636A67626D6A0B0 wrote: Sounds like the big losers will be those counting on ticket sales in Morgantown

See my post above. It is not the Morgantown team that is being moved. It is the A league full season team from Charleston WV. Morgantown is A- Short Season team.
ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

will be different