Interesting Side Note

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

Interesting Side Note

Post by mouse »

There is an article today on CNN about the vote in South Korea. They show a picture of a South Korean student who is wearing a black shirt with what certainly appears to be a Pirates "P" on it. Kang seems to have made the Pirates popular in South Korea.
SammyKhalifa

Interesting Side Note

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I think it probably has.  I know it's not always a good idea to make FO decisions for just the sake of marketing, but I was kind of for signing more Korean players after Kang, as when do you have an opportunity to open up an entire country to being Pirates fans?

Of course that didn't happen, and Kang went and screwed things up a bit, so we'll see. 

The image for people who don't want to search through the article:

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Interesting Side Note

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I would ask the Marlins what they want for Ichiro. I am all in favor of bringing him in. I wanted him a few years ago as he was approaching 3,000 hits, but Polanco changed my tune.

He is 43 years old, batting .175, making $2 million a year but can probably field the ball.

New team, new jersey sales, new exposure for the Pirates. Plus, he is probably better than guys going out there now for the Pirates.
DemDog

Interesting Side Note

Post by DemDog »

464D45494C4D561315625B434A4D4D0C414D220 wrote: I would ask the Marlins what they want for Ichiro.  I am all in favor of bringing him in.  I wanted him a few years ago as he was approaching 3,000 hits, but Polanco changed my tune.

He is 43 years old, batting .175, making $2 million a year but can probably field the ball. 

New team, new jersey sales, new exposure for the Pirates.  Plus, he is probably better than guys going out there now for the Pirates.

A few years ago I would agree with you Dog but in 2017 you are really reaching asking for Ichiro.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Interesting Side Note

Reaching compared to Jaso in RF? I would take Ichiro in a heartbeat if that is the next option. Could be good for the Pirates too as he does his farewell tour.
Bobster21

Interesting Side Note

Post by Bobster21 »

How about another Korean-Hyun Soo Kim? He's not a great outfielder but he's better than Jaso. He hit .302 last year (.382 OBP) but is only a part time player in a very crowded Orioles OF that also includes Adam Jones, Seth Smith, Trey Mancini, Joey Rickard, Craig Gentry and Mark Trumbo.
SammyKhalifa

Interesting Side Note

Post by SammyKhalifa »

775A57464150470704350 wrote: How about another Korean-Hyun Soo Kim? He's not a great outfielder but he's better than Jaso. He hit .302 last year (.382 OBP) but is only a part time player in a very crowded Orioles OF that also includes Adam Jones, Seth Smith, Trey Mancini, Joey Rickard, Craig Gentry and Mark Trumbo.

Yes!
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Interesting Side Note

Yes, I was trying to think of some guys who the Pirates could target. Many would be other team's salary dump or someone who is playing so bad (or both):

Puig, Bautista, Ichiro, Kim, Cain, Gordon, Moss, Gomez.

I really don't know. But Huntington has been good in getting this type of player for almost nothing.
sdimmick3

Interesting Side Note

Post by sdimmick3 »

I can see them trading for Lorenzo Cain for Gerritt Cole and Tucker and Hayes.....think of the savings they'll have without his arbitration years. :D
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Interesting Side Note

64737E7A7A7E747C24170 wrote: I can see them trading for Lorenzo Cain for Gerritt Cole and Tucker and Hayes.....think of the savings they'll have without his arbitration years. :D

I am sure he will be traded this season. He is a free agent next year. He might not be worth Tucker straight up. KC will unload and rebuild.