Pirate moves on 10/30

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Pirate moves on 10/30

Post by Ecbucs »

From DK: The Pirates' roster shakeup got underway Friday, jettisoning seven players from the roster and claiming another player off of waivers.

Utility player Kevin Kramer, catcher Luke Maile, right-hander Yacksel Rios and outfielder Jason Martin were all reinstated from the 60-day injured list and outrighted off the 40-man roster. Catcher John Ryan Murphy also cleaned waivers and was outrighted.

Additionally, left-hander Brandon Waddell was claimed by the Twins and right-hander Nick Tropeano was claimed by the Mets.

The Pirates' 40-man roster currently sits at 36 players, but they will still need to add players from the injured list by Sunday at 5 p.m. That means they will need to clear at least three more spots by then.

After removing two catchers from the roster, the Pirates claimed Rays backup Michael Perez off waivers to be in the mix for a backup spot.

The 28-year-old, left-handed hitter Perez slashed .167/.237/.238 with one home run and 13 RBIs in 93 plate appearances for the Rays during the regular season. He went 2-for-7 with a home run in the postseason for them.

He has a good defensive reputation, amassing four defensive runs saved over 549 career innings played in parts of three seasons in the majors. However, he has been graded as a slightly below average pitch framer in the last two years.

Perez has four years of team control remaining, and won't be arbitration eligible until 2022 at the earliest.
Surgnbuck

Pirate moves on 10/30

Post by Surgnbuck »

Thanks for starting thread. I started posting moves in off season thread but this is a better idea thread of only Pirates moves. I like the Perez pick up. It's clearly house cleaning now that BC has had some time. Still wondering about Archer. The longer it goes makes me think they may be giving some thought to keeping him. Archer said his arm speed is as fast as ever and is fully ready for ST.
Bobster21

Pirate moves on 10/30

Post by Bobster21 »

Kramer was a 2nd rd pick by Huntington. Jason Martin was supposed to be a good addition from Houston in the Cole trade. No wonder Huntington got fired.
Surgnbuck

Pirate moves on 10/30

Post by Surgnbuck »

6B464B5A5D4C5B1B18290 wrote: Kramer was a 2nd rd pick by Huntington. Jason Martin was supposed to be a good addition from Houston in the Cole trade. No wonder Huntington got fired.
So what is left from Cole trade now? Musgrove and Moran correct?
Bobster21

Pirate moves on 10/30

Post by Bobster21 »

092F283D34382F39315A0 wrote: Kramer was a 2nd rd pick by Huntington. Jason Martin was supposed to be a good addition from Houston in the Cole trade. No wonder Huntington got fired.
So what is left from Cole trade now? Musgrove and Moran correct?
And Feliz.
ChillinStation

Pirate moves on 10/30

Post by ChillinStation »

Don`t give up on Moran . He is starting to figure it out . I feel next year he puts it all together .Just need to find him AB`s.
MaineBucs

Pirate moves on 10/30

Post by MaineBucs »

I know that all teams make waiver claims and that teams often lose players to waiver claims.

I am also not going to go on a long rant about losing Trapeano to the Mets and Waddell to the Twins.

That said, exactly how is the Never Man still on the 40 man roster if the Bucs are cutting loose pitchers that other teams deem warrant a 40 man roster spot, even if it is likely only temporary.

I also recognize that the team soon (very soon) needs to make more cuts to add a bevy of players to the roster, so perhaps the Never Man has earned only a short reprieve.

I don't have a concern with the 7 cuts that were made, just don't understand why it wasn't at least 8.
WildwoodDave

Pirate moves on 10/30

Post by WildwoodDave »

5B7D7C6B7D6D1E0 wrote: From DK:  The Pirates' roster shakeup got underway Friday, jettisoning seven players from the roster and claiming another player off of waivers.

Utility player Kevin Kramer, catcher Luke Maile, right-hander Yacksel Rios and outfielder Jason Martin were all reinstated from the 60-day injured list and outrighted off the 40-man roster. Catcher John Ryan Murphy also cleaned waivers and was outrighted.

Additionally, left-hander Brandon Waddell was claimed by the Twins and right-hander Nick Tropeano was claimed by the Mets.

The Pirates' 40-man roster currently sits at 36 players, but they will still need to add players from the injured list by Sunday at 5 p.m. That means they will need to clear at least three more spots by then.

After removing two catchers from the roster, the Pirates claimed Rays backup Michael Perez off waivers to be in the mix for a backup spot.

The 28-year-old, left-handed hitter Perez slashed .167/.237/.238 with one home run and 13 RBIs in 93 plate appearances for the Rays during the regular season. He went 2-for-7 with a home run in the postseason for them.

He has a good defensive reputation, amassing four defensive runs saved over 549 career innings played in parts of three seasons in the majors. However, he has been graded as a slightly below average pitch framer in the last two years.

Perez has four years of team control remaining, and won't be arbitration eligible until 2022 at the earliest.

Owners meetings scheduled for Nov. and Winter meetings scheduled for Dec. are canceled. Guess Bob is happy he doesn't have to attend owners meeting
Bobster21

Pirate moves on 10/30

Post by Bobster21 »

4B676F686344736575060 wrote: I know that all teams make waiver claims and that teams often lose players to waiver claims.

I am also not going to go on a long rant about losing Trapeano to the Mets and Waddell to the Twins.

That said, exactly how is the Never Man still on the 40 man roster if the Bucs are cutting loose pitchers that other teams deem warrant a 40 man roster spot, even if it is likely only temporary. 

I also recognize that the team soon (very soon) needs to make more cuts to add a bevy of players to the roster, so perhaps the Never Man has earned only a short reprieve.

I don't have a concern with the 7 cuts that were made, just don't understand why it wasn't at least 8.
It is mind boggling that a pitcher as consistently unsuccessful as Neverauskas seems to survive every roster reshuffling. His iron hold on the roster cannot be related to ability. So it must be something else.

Because they won't pay market price for established MLB players or international free agents, the Pirates have sought more unconventional means of finding talent. Forget Japan. Forget Cuba. The Pirates try to tap the markets where no other team is bidding (and for good reason).

They were the only team interested in the 2 pitchers from India. Neither made it. They were the first team to sign a player from South Africa. But Gift Ngoepe didn't make it. They were the first team to sign a position player from Korea. But Kang self-imploded and ultimately didn't make it. And they are the only team to sign a player from Lithuania. Neverauskas is all that is left of their efforts to tap into unconventional markets looking for MLB talent. Giving him his well deserved release might be an admission of defeat for this idea of finding a creative way to avoid bidding for the more sought after international players. (Altho they paid a transfer fee of 5 million to Korea for Kang, this was far below the 51 million the Rangers paid Japan for Yu Darvish since there was a question as to how the weak pitching in Korea might inflate Kang's hitting stats compared to MLB pitching.)

And failing in all of their efforts to find talent from unconventional sources could discourage other, more talented international players from opting to sign with the Pirates even if the cost was reasonable. Maybe some pitcher from Zanzibar or Madagascar or the Arctic wasteland will come along and sign with someone else knowing the Pirates failed to make successes of their Indian, South African, Korean or Lithuanian projects.

Of course this is all just my theory. But the Pirates have a tendency to try to rationalize their refusal to spend by advocating "creative" alternatives such as analytics, shifting and looking for talent where no one else looks. Maybe they just don't want to cut Neverauskas and admit that their idea of looking for talent where no one else looks just doesn't work.
shedman

Pirate moves on 10/30

Post by shedman »

614C41505746511112230 wrote: I know that all teams make waiver claims and that teams often lose players to waiver claims.

It is mind boggling that a pitcher as consistently unsuccessful as Neverauskas seems to survive every roster reshuffling. His iron hold on the roster cannot be related to ability. So it must be something else.

Because they won't pay market price for established MLB players or international free agents, the Pirates have sought more unconventional means of finding talent. Forget Japan. Forget Cuba. The Pirates try to tap the markets where no other team is bidding (and for good reason).

They were the only team interested in the 2 pitchers from India. Neither made it. They were the first team to sign a player from South Africa. But Gift Ngoepe didn't make it. They were the first team to sign a position player from Korea. But Kang self-imploded and ultimately didn't make it. And they are the only team to sign a player from Lithuania. Neverauskas is all that is left of their efforts to tap into unconventional markets looking for MLB talent. Giving him his well deserved release might be an admission of defeat for this idea of finding a creative way to avoid bidding for the more sought after international players. (Altho they paid a transfer fee of 5 million to Korea for Kang, this was far below the 51 million the Rangers paid Japan for Yu Darvish since there was a question as to how the weak pitching in Korea might inflate Kang's hitting stats compared to MLB pitching.)

And failing in all of their efforts to find talent from unconventional sources could discourage other, more talented international players from opting to sign with the Pirates even if the cost was reasonable. Maybe some pitcher from Zanzibar or Madagascar or the Arctic wasteland will come along and sign with someone else knowing the Pirates failed to make successes of their Indian, South African, Korean or Lithuanian projects.   

Of course this is all just my theory. But the Pirates have a tendency to try to rationalize their refusal to spend by advocating "creative" alternatives such as analytics, shifting and looking for talent where no one else looks. Maybe they just don't want to cut Neverauskas and admit that their idea of looking for talent where no one else looks just doesn't work.   
________

Another great post!!!