Deep Concern

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Deep Concern

Post by GreenWeenie »

Those of us of a certain age who can remember back to those 20 consecutive seasons of finishing with a losing record, I invite you to think about this:

Take the worst of those teams.  It was leaps and bounds better than the one we see today.

I hate to say it, but I just don't think the Pirates can stay in business long-term if this, or anything close to this, keeps up much longer.

Look at this beauty of a list from 2010:

Pitchers

50 Brian Bass

71 Brian Burres

77 D. J. Carrasco

53 Brendan Donnelly

29 Octavio Dotel

57 Zach Duke

59 Dana Eveland

43 Sean Gallagher

52 Joel Hanrahan

58 Steven Jackson

39 Chris Jakubauskas

27 Jeff Karstens

36 Wil Ledezma

38 Chris Leroux

32 Brad Lincoln

48 Javier López

28 Paul Maholm

48 Joe Martinez

34 Daniel McCutchen

53 James McDonald

47 Evan Meek

37 Charlie Morton

49 Ross Ohlendorf

61 Chan Ho Park

62 Hayden Penn

30 Chris Resop

43 Jack Taschner

65 Justin Thomas

Catchers

41 Ryan Doumit

35 Jason Jaramillo

38 Erik Kratz

19 Chris Snyder

Infielders

17 Pedro Alvarez

13 Ronny Cedeño

16 Pedro Ciriaco

6 Jeff Clement

2 Bobby Crosby

73 Argenis Díaz

3 Akinori Iwamura

46 Garrett Jones

15 Andy LaRoche

51 Steven Pearce

18 Neil Walker

Outfielders

23 John Bowker

19 Ryan Church

22 Andrew McCutchen

85 Lastings Milledge

44 Brandon Moss

75 Alex Presley

58 John Raynor

31 José Tábata

24 Delwyn Young

Manager

7 John Russell

Coaches

86 Heberto Andrade (bullpen catcher)

55 Jeff Banister (bench)

10 Tony Beasley (third base)

60 Luis Dorante (bullpen)

12 Carlos García (first base)

39 Joe Kerrigan (pitching)

5 Don Long (hitting)

54 Ray Searage (pitching)

14 Gary Varsho (bench)

What we have today is a lot worse than what you just read.
GermanTownship

Deep Concern

Post by GermanTownship »

Wait till next year. If it's possible, they will even be worse. The franchise will be an embarrassment to the entire league in regard to attendance and the team that they field. Who in their right mind would want to spend their hard earned dollars to watch them? These next two years may finally force the owner to sell. If they draw 300,000 fans next year, they will be lucky. These comments are coming from a lifelong Pirates fan that enjoyed watching them on tv and also going to see them. Can't do it anymore!
GreenWeenie

Deep Concern

Post by GreenWeenie »

7557405F535C665D455C415A5B42320 wrote: [highlight]Wait till next year.[/highlight] If it's possible, [highlight]they will even be worse.[/highlight] The franchise will be an embarrassment to the entire league in regard to attendance and the team that they field. Who in their right mind would want to spend their hard earned dollars to watch them? These next two years may finally force the owner to sell. If they draw 300,000 fans next year, they will be lucky. These comments are coming from a lifelong Pirates fan that enjoyed watching them on tv and also going to see them. Can't do it anymore!

Thanks! I needed that ray of sunshine. Makes me feel better. (Sigh. Double sigh. Triple sigh)

Don't know whether to laff or cry at this point.
Bobster21

Deep Concern

Post by Bobster21 »

If there's any ray of hope it's that there could someday be another very brief window as there was 2013-15. Nutting owned that team too. Even then he was only at about 75% of the MLB average payroll.

And a lot of things came together for them. A few prospects came through (Cutch, Walker, Marte, Cole, Watson). A few reclamation pitchers worked out (Liriano, Volquez). A few trades worked out (Happ, Melancon, Blanton).

And 2 major moves brought a new attitude to a team that had been used to losing. Russell Martin signed a s a FA but only for 2 years before leaving. But in that time he was a great asset to the pitching staff and the clubhouse. Similarly, A.J. Burnett appeared washed up with NY. The Yankees traded him to the Pirates for 2 low end prospects and even paid most of his salary just to get rid of him. Burnett revived his career as a Pirates, regained his value as a good starter and brought a fiery attitude to the team.

The problem is that a lot of things have to fall in place. They probably got more out of Burnett, Melancon, Happ and Blanton than they had a right to expect. None were doing well at the time they were acquired. Hope is not a strategy but it seemed to work out that time. But it can't be the plan going forward.
GreenWeenie

Deep Concern

Post by GreenWeenie »

Those teams were a fantastic feeling because of our REGULAR season successes- after two decades of whatever.  All of those good fortunes went only that far.

So, it depends on what satisfies each person.  For me, I set the NLCS as my level.  Winning a WS won't happen with our payroll level, so i go with what's realistic.

If enough folks are satisfied with winning RS games every short cycle, that's good for the franchise's  future.  If not, then trouble.  I'd say it's big trouble.  Fans won't put up with it.
ArnoldRothstein

Deep Concern

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I think we're actually seeing the plan in action, that they intended to be down around .300 ball to compete for the really high picks. The evidence for that is the players they brought in last offseason. We'll have to wait for the offseason to see if they're ready to trend upward.
ArnoldRothstein

Deep Concern

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

those 20 consecutive seasons of finishing with a losing record

Those teams had a remarkable consistency of putting a plausible major leaguer at every position, providing the prospect of a decent season if everyone had a good year.
fjk090852-7

Deep Concern

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I am a longtime Pirate fan as many of you, but I still have confidence in the new FO. Cherington would not come here to fail. If he leaves in a couple years then I may be more pessimistic about the team. This team has a lot of Ifs, such as will Tailion return to his potential.?Is Keller the prospect we thought he was ? Which Reynolds is the real McCoy 2019 or 2020? They are only prospects, but are Cruz, Priester, Malone and Gonzales future high end pieces? This offseason is very important in my opinion. I think initially there are going to be added some new people under Cherington. His late arrival as GM last year made it difficult to hire some other people who were already under contract with other teams. I may be one of the few fans, but I expect a very interesting offseason.
Bobster21

Deep Concern

Post by Bobster21 »

1025323239003232393E32570 wrote: Those teams were a fantastic feeling because of our REGULAR season successes- after two decades of whatever.  All of those good fortunes went only that far.

So, it depends on what satisfies each person.  For me, I set the NLCS as my level.  Winning a WS won't happen with our payroll level, so i go with what's realistic.

If enough folks are satisfied with winning RS games every short cycle, that's good for the franchise's  future.  If not, then trouble.  I'd say it's big trouble.  Fans won't put up with it.

I agree with you on the goal. But at least those teams had a chance to get there. Since then the team has spiraled into irrelevance. They need to put together a team with a legit chance and then add whatever pieces are needed to get over the hump. The time to do that was 2016 after a 98 win season. Instead, they pulled the plug and added Niese, Jaso and Vogelsong.
GreenWeenie

Deep Concern

Post by GreenWeenie »

685B4746454D7B465D415A5D4C4047290 wrote: those 20 consecutive seasons of finishing with a losing record

Those teams had a remarkable consistency of putting a plausible major leaguer at every position, providing the prospect of a decent season if everyone had a good year.

One could make that argument about any team, but I agree with your premise overall.

Look at that 2010 roster one more time. While there were surely a few true, talented MLB players, there were far too many who weren't. To expect good years out of too many of them would have been a stretch. The talent (with those) simply was not there.