Another Front Office Hire

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Oz Ocampo has been hired as a Special Assistant , Player Personnel. He comes from the Astros organization.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

According to P2 he has significant experience with scouting the foreign players.  That means amateur players.  Seems like a good hire to me.  He also has experience using analytics in scouting and player development. He can do the foreign players and perhaps also do the same for US amateur players.  Only time will tell.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

49686049626A0D0 wrote: According to P2 he has significant experience with scouting the foreign players.  That means amateur players.  Seems like a good hire to me.  He also has experience using analytics in scouting and player development. He can do the foreign players and perhaps also do the same for US amateur players.  Only time will tell. 
It really seems like the people that Ben Cherington has brought in are very talented. There has been very little player activity, but from FO personnel, and Field personnel that have been hired it appears the Bucs have hit “ home runs “.
GermanTownship

Post by GermanTownship »

We can only hope.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Oz Ocampo has not officially been announced  as joining the Pirates staff. Possibly the position doesn’t need to be officially announced, but on the other hand with the problems the Astros are facing, possibly the Pirates are making sure he was not involved with the sign stealing incidents.
shedman

Post by shedman »

It would be nice if Cherington was as interested in acquiring players as he is with assistant coaches.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

49525F5E575B543A0 wrote: It would be nice if Cherington was as interested in acquiring players as he is with assistant coaches.
Whether it's the right decision or not, all signs so far point to a strategy this year of evaluating and developing what they've got rather than making any more than minimal player changes. They seem to be prioritizing putting the people in place who they think will best carry out that evaluation and development. Not very exciting news for us fans of a 69-93 team. But it looks like baby steps in year 1 of the new regime is the order of the day.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

6F424F5E59485F1F1C2D0 wrote: It would be nice if Cherington was as interested in acquiring players as he is with assistant coaches.
Whether it's the right decision or not, all signs so far point to a strategy this year of evaluating and developing what they've got rather than making any more than minimal player changes. They seem to be prioritizing putting the people in place who they think will best carry out that evaluation and development. Not very exciting news for us fans of a 69-93 team. But it looks like baby steps in year 1 of the new regime is the order of the day.   

I'd like them to add another low-end catcher or two and an arm or two for injury depth but I am okay with waiting a year for real moved. That comes from someone who does not attend games though and only watches DVR'd games if we win, so its perhaps not a common perspective.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

727770767E746D70796A6C61180 wrote: It would be nice if Cherington was as interested in acquiring players as he is with assistant coaches.

I'd like them to add another low-end catcher or two and an arm or two for injury depth but I am okay with waiting a year for real moved.  That comes from someone who does not attend games though and only watches DVR'd games if we win, so its perhaps not a common perspective.

Well I will say that I prefer this way to a firesale ten minutes after he gets his nameplate on the door. I feel like that's what some people wanted.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

72404C4C586A49404D484740210 wrote: It would be nice if Cherington was as interested in acquiring players as he is with assistant coaches.

I'd like them to add another low-end catcher or two and an arm or two for injury depth but I am okay with waiting a year for real moved.  That comes from someone who does not attend games though and only watches DVR'd games if we win, so its perhaps not a common perspective.

Well I will say that I prefer this way to a firesale ten minutes after he gets his nameplate on the door.  I feel like that's what some people wanted.

Great point Sammy. I felt that BC would take his time to see what he had, who he could hire to right the ship on the player acquisition and player development sides. God only knows that we are very thin in catching prospects but have a top catching prospect is just one of the holes BC has to fill to make the Bucs winners. By this time next year we may find that BC and his team have turned around some current prospects to the point that other teams may want them bad enough to give us a decent catching prospect or near MLB ready catcher. Just like when I was learning to crochet 2 yrs ago I had to go slow and be patient as I developed the skills to be a decent crocheter for a guy. As fans we have to show that same kind of patience.