Derek Dietrich Designated

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

gileszee

Post by gileszee »

I actually like him better than Cron. Dude is always hustling and would be this years Dickerson. Can't have too many of those type guys in your clubhouse. Go get him Neil. Hell, get Cron too.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

OK, last year the Rays were stupid cheap, and we traded for Dickerson. This year, the Marlins are stupid cheap. We should pick up Dietrich and offer the Marlins some of our fringy AAA pitchers. Heck, we didn't give up much for Dickerson!

Get on it, NH - our Polanco fill-in is now obvious!
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

5B5550594F4659593C0 wrote: I actually like him better than Cron.  Dude is always hustling and would be this years Dickerson.  Can't have too many of those type guys in your clubhouse.  Go get him Neil.  Hell, get Cron too.
He would serve nicely as the fill-in for Polanco and then as a 4th OFer and Kang insurance. His OF D was awful last year in the first year where he played much OF. It looks like he’s a little better on the IF. I’d still rather have Marwin Gonzalez for that job, but I like Dietrich too.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

14031522343438570 wrote: I actually like him better than Cron.  Dude is always hustling and would be this years Dickerson.  Can't have too many of those type guys in your clubhouse.  Go get him Neil.  Hell, get Cron too.
He would serve nicely as the fill-in for Polanco and then as a 4th OFer and Kang insurance. His OF D was awful last year in the first year where he played much OF.  It looks like he’s a little better on the IF. I’d still rather have Marwin Gonzalez for that job, but I like Dietrich too.

Either Gonzalez or Dietrich would improve the team. Neither is great but bother are versatile, and have some power. Saw that Dietrich's offensive stats were hampered by playing more against lefties. He had 34 ks and 1 walk in a little over 100 plate appearances. I imagine a lot of teams are interested in both.

The Bucs can certainly provide either with a chance for a lot of playing time.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

I want Marwin Gonzales, but there are going to be a lot of suitors.

I'd gladly take Dietrich over the dude we just got from Cleveland.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Info about Dietrich says his grandfather was Steve Demeter. Demeter was the 1B coach and the Bench Coach for the 1985 Buccos. He also spent 9 seasons managing in the Buccos farm system and later a roving instructor and scout for the team.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

I sure wouldn't mind getting him. Someone said get him and Cron. I agree.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I think I go with Dietrich because he is a bit more versatile. Need to see how Bell does this season and if Wil Craig can come up in 2020 to replace Bell. Like Bobster I am getting a bit tired of waiting for Bell to finally develop into the middle of the order hitter we expect, defense be damned.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Dietrich seems like a good player to pursue with Polanco's injury. Has some power and will serve as competition for Marte (now that J-Hay is gone) as the Pirate most likely to get hit by a pitch. He also only earned $2.9 in his last year with the Marlins.

Perhaps Clay Holmes would interest the Marlins.

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

As I have reviewed the stats of Dietrich I am convinced that the Pirates should make a very strong effort to acquire him. He can play some second, third and outfield. I also think he has played some first base while at Florida.