SammyKhalifa

robinson cano 80 games

Post by SammyKhalifa »

drug policy, sounds like some kind of masking drug:

https://www.mlb.com/news/robinson-cano- ... -276822884
dogknot17@yahoo.co

robinson cano 80 games

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I don't know what they have as a back up, but I know a team with a bunch of middle infielders. Does Seattle make a move?

The Dodgers didn't make a trade for a SS (yet).

It makes you wonder what is actually available. The Pirates took a lot of heat for not replacing Marte last year (and Kang when others failed). It is deeper into the season and some teams are for sure not going to compete.
INbuc

robinson cano 80 games

Post by INbuc »

I may jump the gun here and end up looking like an idiot, but I find it quite the coincidence that two days after breaking his handing and staring at a long disabled stint, that this drug violation pops up. Here is a quote from Cano:

"Today I decided to accept MLB's suspension. This was the most difficult decision I have ever made in my life, but ultimately the right decision given that I do not dispute that I was given this substance. I apologize to my family, friends, fans, teammates and the Mariners organization. I am extremely grateful for the support I have received during this process, and I look forward to rejoining my teammates later this season."

What "decision" is there to make? Is he Otis the drunk from Mayberry? I wonder how long MLB has known about this failed test -- and if they have been suppressing it? There may be union due-process at work here, but this smells fishy.

SammyKhalifa

robinson cano 80 games

Post by SammyKhalifa »

yeah, it is convenient. it should start after he would have gotten off of the DL, but how can you judge that . . .
dogknot17@yahoo.co

robinson cano 80 games

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

He can appeal the suspension and that would give him more time to keep playing until the hearing and then the results.  It might be discussed what they took and questions might have been asked to the player/doctor/team. Interesting, if he is more hurt than originally expected.    

Marte didn't wait days.  I am sure he knew what was in the works.  When we (fans) found out, he was on TV apologizing that night.

I don't know either, just speculation. 
SammyKhalifa

robinson cano 80 games

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah I don't know, he had a broken hand which certainly doesn't sound like a particularly fast thing to come back from. What'll it be for JHAY, 6 weeks?
SCBucco

robinson cano 80 games

Post by SCBucco »

A year ago, I got a ration of crap from the guys I'm in a fantasy league with, most of them Washington State grads and big Seattle Mariners fans. Of course, I fired off the email within 10 minutes after I heard the news. Very familiar ... allowed to play 40 games or so ... then the hammer comes down. He failed a test during Spring Training. Why wait to announce this far into the season. Maybe Robbie would have preferred an earlier announcement so that in the unlikely event the Mariners make it to the playoffs, he would be able to play. Costly mistake - 11 million.
Ecbucs

robinson cano 80 games

Post by Ecbucs »

15272B2B3F0D2E272A2F2027460 wrote: Yeah I don't know, he had a broken hand which certainly doesn't sound like a particularly fast thing to come back from.  What'll it be for JHAY, 6 weeks?

I don't understand why he is allowed to count any of his dl time as suspension time. He apparently was tested in the winter according to MLB Trade Rumors. Trade rumors chat says this:[highlight] By not appealing, he's able to begin serving the suspension while on the disabled list. He still won't be paid, of course.[/highlight]

maybe he would miss 40 -50 games with his injury. I guess the suspension has more to do with pay than actually missing games due to the suspension.
ScottinMass

robinson cano 80 games

Post by ScottinMass »

0313122533333F500 wrote: A year ago, I got a ration of crap from the guys I'm in a fantasy league with, most of them Washington State grads and big Seattle Mariners fans.  Of course, I fired off the email within 10 minutes after I heard the news.  Very familiar ... allowed to play 40 games or so ... then the hammer comes down.  He failed a test during Spring Training.  Why wait to announce this far into the season.  Maybe Robbie would have preferred an earlier announcement so that in the unlikely event the Mariners make it to the playoffs, he would be able to play.  Costly mistake - 11 million.
He's not eligible for playoffs regardless. Failed test means no postseason regardless of when the suspension begins.

Same was true with Marte last season.
Quail

robinson cano 80 games

Post by Quail »

5D5A766177140 wrote: I may jump the gun here and end up looking like an idiot, but I find it quite the coincidence that two days after breaking his handing and staring at a long disabled stint, that this drug violation pops up.   Here is a quote from Cano:

"Today I decided to accept MLB's suspension. This was the most difficult decision I have ever made in my life, but ultimately the right decision given that I do not dispute that I was given this substance. I apologize to my family, friends, fans, teammates and the Mariners organization. I am extremely grateful for the support I have received during this process, and I look forward to rejoining my teammates later this season."

What "decision" is there to make?   Is he Otis the drunk from Mayberry?  I wonder how long MLB has known about this failed test -- and if they have been suppressing it?   There may be union due-process at work here, but this smells fishy.   

Actually there probably was a decision for Cano to make. The banned substance, furosemide, is a potent diuretic. While it may have drug masking effects (ie accelerating the elimination/excretion of other substances through the kidneys) it has a number of legitimate medical uses that have nothing to do with performance enhancing drugs. The referenced article states that a doctor in the Dominican Republic prescribed furosemide for Cano. If the diagnosis for Cano by that physician involved a medical condition which could legitimately be treated by furosemide he might actually have a case for appealing the suspension.

For 35 years as a pharmacist I dispensed a lot of furosemide. In about 95% of the cases it was used in geriatric patients who were suffering from heart failure, edema, hypertension or some combination of those conditions. Were there times when I dispensed furosemide to a young person? Yes, but those were not common, and certainly not in healthy young people. Are there situations in which an otherwise healthy young person (such as a professional athlete) might need to take furosemide on a short term basis? Yes, but once again that would be extremely rare.

If Cano had a medically verifiable need for taking furosemide I think he might have successfully appealed the suspension. His acceptance of the suspension leads me to believe that the reason it was prescribed was for a dubious purpose, and that accepting the suspension will allow him to maintain his claim (and legacy) that he never took any performance enhancing substances. By taking this uncontentious route he also minimizes media scrutiny of the link between PEDs and furosemide, effectively mitigating the suspension for the use of "only a diuretic".