Bruce Kison passes away at 68.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

INbuc

Post by INbuc »

Kison pitched for the Bucs from 1971 to 1979, his Pirate career bracketed by World Series championships.  Lot of great memories of Kison, but the best was him getting married the same day the Pirates won the Series in 1971.  Two rings in one day.  RIP Bruce.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I met Kison numerous times at Pirate fantasy camps. One year he was my coach for the week. He was very cerebral. Could talk on many subjects such as business or politics. Seemed to prefer talking about things other than baseball. Unlike the other former Pirates there who joke around all week, Kison was always serious and rarely smiled. Referring to his penchant for hitting batters when he pitched, he said he didn't try to hit them but didn't care if he did. Interesting guy and different from the other former Pirates that frequent the fantasy camps.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I was at game 4 of the 71 series. My first WS game in fact. Dad did not want to take a 12 yr old to the two '60 series games got tix for.

I remember how tick he and the fans were after Walker's implosion in the 1st inning. Kinda gave up but the Bucs got 3 in their half of the first and took the lead in the 7th fans got in the mood for a win. Bruce held the mighty O's in check and Guisti got a 6 out save as the Bucs won 4-3. An interesting fact about Kison that day is that he K's 3 hitters but also HBP 3. He was not afraid to challenge the hitters and let them know he owned the plate. Wish we could find someone like that today. Thanks Bruce for the years as a Bucco.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

25040C250E06610 wrote: I was at game 4 of the 71 series.  My first WS game in fact.  Dad did not want to take a 12 yr old to the two '60 series games got tix for.

I remember how tick he and the fans were after Walker's implosion in the 1st inning.  Kinda gave up but the Bucs got 3 in their half of the first and took the lead in the 7th fans got in the mood for a win.  Bruce held the mighty O's in check and Guisti got a 6 out save as the Bucs won 4-3.  An interesting fact about Kison that day is that he K's 3 hitters but also HBP 3.  He was not afraid to challenge the hitters and let them know he owned the plate.  Wish we could find someone like that today.  Thanks Bruce for the years as a Bucco.

I remember that game well as it was very pivotal to say the least. Kison was just a rookie , I think only 21 at the time. He had a very unusual delivery ... no ? Maybe that may have attributed in all those hit batsmen ?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

3532233023727F460 wrote: I was at game 4 of the 71 series.  My first WS game in fact.  Dad did not want to take a 12 yr old to the two '60 series games got tix for.

I remember how tick he and the fans were after Walker's implosion in the 1st inning.  Kinda gave up but the Bucs got 3 in their half of the first and took the lead in the 7th fans got in the mood for a win.  Bruce held the mighty O's in check and Guisti got a 6 out save as the Bucs won 4-3.  An interesting fact about Kison that day is that he K's 3 hitters but also HBP 3.  He was not afraid to challenge the hitters and let them know he owned the plate.  Wish we could find someone like that today.  Thanks Bruce for the years as a Bucco.

I remember that game well as it was very pivotal to say the least. Kison was just a rookie , I think only 21 at the time.  He had a very unusual delivery ... no ? Maybe that may have attributed in all those hit batsmen ?

He threw side arm, was that the first World Series night game?
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

It was the first night Series game. Kison was one of the great clutch pitchers ever: 31-12 in September/October, nearly always with contenders, and 5-1 in the postseason.

ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I believe that Kison led the Pirates with 81 wins in the 1970s.