Priester making major league debut next Tuesday?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

CBS Sports page has him pitching against Cleveland on Tuesday
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Indians have "TBD" for their next game Friday. Priester pitched last Thursday, when I thought for sure he'd be held out and pitch against AZ on Sunday, instead the Bucs went with the bullpen game. So his normal turn would have been Tuesday or today, but they are on an All Star break too.

I wish it was Wednesday game if it's really happening, I'll be attending that one. But coming out of the ASG break, it makes sense. They'll certainly line the rotation up Keller-Oviedo-Hill/Bido-Hill/Bido then it would be another bullpen game on Tuesday. Then again, they could always recall Ortiz or Contreras, but I don't think either of them can be unless someone is put on IL.

Cleveland would be a perfect choice too, they're the 4th lowest scoring team in MLB, so he wouldn't exactly be facing a juggernaut.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I just noticed Priester isn't on the 40 man roster. So someone is going to have to be dropped.

Looking at the 40 man now, I could easily see them handling it by placing either Bae or Hayes on the 60 day IL (or even Cutch). Regardless who comes off the 40 man, I see them sending Bolton back down.

They have a number of other people I could easily see them DFA, but I'm betting it's a Bae/Hayes to the 60 day IL.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

193F382D24283F29214A0 wrote: I just noticed Priester isn't on the 40 man roster. So someone is going to have to be dropped.

Looking at the 40 man now, I could easily see them handling it by placing either Bae or Hayes on the 60 day IL (or even Cutch). Regardless who comes off the 40 man, I see them sending Bolton back down.

They have a number of other people I could easily see them DFA, but I'm betting it's a Bae/Hayes to the 60 day IL.
They usually carry 5 SPs and 8 relievers. But after Ortiz was sent down, it's 4 SPs and 9 relievers. My guess is that Bolton gets DFA'd to clear spots both on the 26 and the 40.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I mean, it's going to be some time very soon, right? By default if nothing else.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

74525540494552444C270 wrote: I just noticed Priester isn't on the 40 man roster. So someone is going to have to be dropped.

If Hayes has a serious enough injury, I’m all for him being the one to go on the 60 day IL. That will enable the Pirates to start Triolo everyday for nearly the remainder of the season and get a conclusive idea if he can be a better third base option than Hayes. Then, if they feel confident enough in Triolo’s future, Hayes can be dealt for a position of need, preferably an outfielder.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1C4A5C48475D4D464B5C6E49434F4742004D2E0 wrote: I just noticed Priester isn't on the 40 man roster. So someone is going to have to be dropped.

If Hayes has a serious enough injury, I’m all for him being the one to go on the 60 day IL.  That will enable the Pirates to start Triolo everyday for nearly the remainder of the season and get a conclusive idea if he can be a better third base option than Hayes.  Then, if they feel confident enough in Triolo’s future, Hayes can be dealt for a position of need, preferably an outfielder.

Hayes is guaranteed $50 million for 2024 thru 2030. It's hard to imagine another team trading to acquire that obligation. Especially if they had to give up a good player to do so. 50 million may not be a boatload of money to some MLB teams but it's still 50 million that could be put to better use than a light-hitting 3Bman. I think the Pirates are stuck with him. If he turns out to be chronically injured, at least it gives them an excuse to play someone better. They would have egg on their face if he's healthy but lost his starting job to Triolo or someone else. So they can only hope his hitting improves.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

7E535E4F48594E0E0D3C0 wrote: I just noticed Priester isn't on the 40 man roster. So someone is going to have to be dropped.

If Hayes has a serious enough injury, I’m all for him being the one to go on the 60 day IL.  That will enable the Pirates to start Triolo everyday for nearly the remainder of the season and get a conclusive idea if he can be a better third base option than Hayes.  Then, if they feel confident enough in Triolo’s future, Hayes can be dealt for a position of need, preferably an outfielder.

Hayes is guaranteed $50 million for 2024 thru 2030. It's hard to imagine another team trading to acquire that obligation. Especially if they had to give up a good player to do so. 50 million may not be a boatload of money to some MLB teams but it's still 50 million that could be put to better use than a light-hitting 3Bman. I think the Pirates are stuck with him. If he turns out to be chronically injured, at least it gives them an excuse to play someone better. They would have egg on their face if he's healthy but lost his starting job to Triolo or someone else. So they can only hope his hitting improves.

Hayes would be a fine acquisition for a team with a line-up of good hitters but lacking a good defensive 3Bman. Of course, that's a limited circumstance but one never knows if the situation occurs. Hoping that his hitting improves is just about as big a longshot. I hate to think the team is stuck with him and a guy like Triolo, who could be better all around, fails to get an opportunity.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

0C5A4C58574D5D565B4C7E59535F5752105D3E0 wrote: I just noticed Priester isn't on the 40 man roster. So someone is going to have to be dropped.

Hayes would be a fine acquisition for a team with a line-up of good hitters but lacking a good defensive 3Bman.  Of course, that's a limited circumstance but one never knows if the situation occurs.  Hoping that his hitting improves is just about as big a longshot.  I hate to think the team is stuck with him and a guy like Triolo, who could be better all around, fails to get an opportunity.
I would not give up on Hayes yet. I too like Triolo, but he has played about 10 games so far. Remember when Hayes came up in 2020, teams could not get him out. The Pirates are close to being a contender, and a good fielder like Hayes will be needed. Triolo can play different positions, and I wonder if first base could be in his future. Triolo, Gonsales, Cruz and Hayes sounds like a good infield. Reynolds, Suzwinski, and Davis in the outfield, with Endy behind the plate, and Cutch DH. Not a bad lineup in my opinion.
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

3D31306B626B636E69766C5B0 wrote: I just noticed Priester isn't on the 40 man roster. So someone is going to have to be dropped.

Hayes would be a fine acquisition for a team with a line-up of good hitters but lacking a good defensive 3Bman.  Of course, that's a limited circumstance but one never knows if the situation occurs.  Hoping that his hitting improves is just about as big a longshot.  I hate to think the team is stuck with him and a guy like Triolo, who could be better all around, fails to get an opportunity.
I would not give up on Hayes yet. I too like Triolo, but he has played about 10 games so far. Remember when Hayes came up in 2020, teams could not get him out. The Pirates are close to being a contender, and a good fielder like Hayes will be needed. Triolo can play different positions, and I wonder if first base could be in his future. Triolo, Gonsales, Cruz and Hayes sounds like a good infield. Reynolds, Suzwinski, and Davis in the outfield, with Endy behind the plate, and Cutch DH. Not a bad lineup in my opinion.

I know its been said 100 times, but Andujar is ripping the cover off the ball at Indy and maybe he needs time at 1b once they can jettison Santana and Choi. Give him the job the rest of the year and see what he can do with it. Its not like Santana and Choi are propelling us to the playoffs so what is there to lose. Let them battle over the dh while cutch is gone and get Miguel up for a stretch