Dickerson

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ScottinMass

Dickerson

Post by ScottinMass »

So Rays were down on Dickerson especially with how he finished 2017. Well Pirates are seeing the same thing now.

August 2017 - .220 BA .408 OPS 4 HR 9 RBI

August 2018 - .212 BA .460 OPS 0 HR 2 RBI

Ouch!
rucker59@gmail.com

Dickerson

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Doubles tonight.

I’d say Dickerson’s September is one of the important questions to be watching this month.
DemDog

Dickerson

Post by DemDog »

I'll take doubles with a HR thrown in there for good measure every couple or 3 games and do it with guys on base all month.

J-Hay K's so he would not have to run the bases. :'(
INbuc

Dickerson

Post by INbuc »

While in general I have good connotations about Dickerson's play, some of his numbers are befuddling. As ScottinMass noted, Dickerson now has only 2 RBIs in Aug and Sept. That follows the month of June when he had only 1 RBI. That is 3 RBIs in two complete months, which annualized totals 9 RBIs for a full time player.

Dickerson, who hit 27 HR in 2017, has 11 in 2018. But he hit zero HR in both June and August. Those are meager and inconsistent numbers.

There are a lot of ways to cut it, but at the end of the day those production numbers from a corner outfielder are pretty debilatating.
pghpaulatl

Dickerson

Post by pghpaulatl »

I'd say he's proven he is what he is and I would try and trade him this off season and spend some money on a proven power hitting OF.

This team has the starters and bullpen to be a strong contender but over the past month or more shows it doesn't have anyone who can put two hits together or drive in a run when the games on the line.

The Bucs should move on from Harrison, Mercer, Nova, etc. and spend big for a couple of guys who can hit and drive in a run when needed.
Quail

Dickerson

Post by Quail »

46515E4657435A57425A360 wrote: I'd say he's proven he is what he is and I would try and trade him this off season and spend some money on a proven power hitting OF.

This team has the starters and bullpen to be a strong contender but over the past month or more shows it doesn't have anyone who can put two hits together or drive in a run when the games on the line.

The Bucs should move on from Harrison, Mercer, Nova, etc. and spend big for a couple of guys who can hit and drive in a run when needed.

My feelings as well. The Pirates need an impact bat and should have the money to spend if Harrison, Mercer, Freese, Nova, Dickerson (if the big bat plays LF) are gone.
DemDog

Dickerson

Post by DemDog »

How fickle we fans are. It was just a month or so ago that we were clamoring for the Bucs to extend Dickerson. I admit that I was among those fickle fans.

We only can now wait and see what the Bucs do with Dickerson, Harrison, Nova, etal and the money they are spending. Will they go out and get a "Big Bopper" and not weaken the pitch they have acquired.
MaineBucs

Dickerson

Post by MaineBucs »

I really like how Dickerson has gone from being a liability in the outfield with a pop gun arm to someone who is an intelligent outfielder who positions himself well to get off good throws.

What I don't like about Dickerson is how he disappears on offense for long stretches. In July, I viewed Marte, Polanco and Dickerson as being a good outfield for 2019. At present, I wouldn't look to committing the $8 - $10 mil it likely would take to keep him as a Pirate next year.

He plays hard and is fundamentally sound, but he isn't hitting with enough consistency or pop to be a regular corner outfielder. And, based on the body of his play during the season, he will be too expensive to be a platoon outfielder.
Ecbucs

Dickerson

Post by Ecbucs »

466A62656E497E68780B0 wrote: I really like how Dickerson has gone from being a liability in the outfield with a pop gun arm to someone who is an intelligent outfielder who positions himself well to get off good throws. 

What I don't like about Dickerson is how he disappears on offense for long stretches.  In July, I viewed Marte, Polanco and Dickerson as being a good outfield for 2019.  At present, I wouldn't look to committing the $8 - $10 mil it likely would take to keep him as a Pirate next year. 

He plays hard and is fundamentally sound, but he isn't hitting with enough consistency or pop to be a regular corner outfielder.  And, based on the body of his play during the season, he will be too expensive to be a platoon outfielder.

the question I have about him is why is he so inconsistent? Perhaps injury impacted him on one stretch but this second one isn't explainable (just a slump?) If he has another hot streak soon he could earn a contract for next year. If he slumps the rest of the season the Bucs probably shouldn't offer him arbitration and only try to sign him for a modest amount( maybe 6 million).
PMike

Dickerson

Post by PMike »

A couple of quick observations about Dickerson...

It is really clear that he changed his approach at the plate this year. The most obvious change is the huge drop in strikeouts (and walks). He has cut both of those number in half. He is clearly going for more contact. Predictably, his power numbers are (way) down. Far less HRs than he has averaged a year and a much lower SLG. Unfortunately, his approach change didn't create an uptick in batting average. As a result, he is a less valuable hitter due to the loss of power. OTOH, you could argue that is really bad August messed up those numbers. If you take August out, is is a well above .300 hitter with even more impressive strikeout numbers.

I think you could chalk up the paltry RBI numbers to being moved to the leadoff spot, having a really bad month, and a pretty crappy back end of the lineup on base in front of him.