Rick Porcello

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Rick Porcello

Post by DemDog »

BucsDugout has an interesting article up today.

Pirates FA Target - Rick Porcello

Could a guy like Porcello become another AJ?
gileszee

Rick Porcello

Post by gileszee »

I would prefer signing Julio Tehran and trade for Mike Minor. That would solidify 1 and 2 in our rotation.

Otherwise, I would take a flier on Michael Wacha instead.

We have enough 3's in our rotation already, and that is what Rick Porcello is at this point in his career.
fjk090852-7

Rick Porcello

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I wouldn’t mind if they signed Porcello. He is a veteran pitcher who could help the younger pitchers on the staff. I am probably wrong, but I could see Ben Cherington trading guys like Marte, and Archer to eliminate some payroll, but then signing some veteran players at lesser salaries to help develop younger players like Newman, Reynolds and Tucker.
mouse

Rick Porcello

Post by mouse »

I see Marte and Bell as short-term trade possibilities. Archer is at a position where they need whatever they can get and the getting part is disproportionally expensive. On a trade front, Archer has to be a sell-low candidate. I would think they keep him, at least until spring when they see how he's doing, but more likely at least until the trade deadline. You likely don't get top prospects now but if he rebounds, you might in July.
Bobster21

Rick Porcello

Post by Bobster21 »

6D6F757365000 wrote: I see Marte and Bell as short-term trade possibilities. Archer is at a position where they need whatever they can get and the getting part is disproportionally expensive. On a trade front, Archer has to be a sell-low candidate. I would think they keep him, at least until spring when they see how he's doing, but more likely at least until the trade deadline. You likely don't get top prospects now but if he rebounds, you might in July.
Agreed. There's no advantage to trading Archer unless it's to shed salary off one of MLB's already lowest payrolls. That would be discouraging. They can't get much for him unless he becomes effective so they need to give him that opportunity. The team won't compete in 2020 anyway so they have nothing to lose by keeping him in the rotation to see if he can improve enough to trade him for something decent.
SCBucco

Rick Porcello

Post by SCBucco »

6D404D5C5B4A5D1D1E2F0 wrote: I see Marte and Bell as short-term trade possibilities. Archer is at a position where they need whatever they can get and the getting part is disproportionally expensive. On a trade front, Archer has to be a sell-low candidate. I would think they keep him, at least until spring when they see how he's doing, but more likely at least until the trade deadline. You likely don't get top prospects now but if he rebounds, you might in July.
Agreed. There's no advantage to trading Archer unless it's to shed salary off one of MLB's already lowest payrolls. That would be discouraging. They can't get much for him unless he becomes effective so they need to give him that opportunity. The team won't compete in 2020 anyway so they have nothing to lose by keeping him in the rotation to see if he can improve enough to trade him for something decent.

If you trade Archer, you better reinvest that money, something that Pittsburgh hasn't done. I would hold onto him until the TDL hoping he can regain something.
SCBucco

Rick Porcello

Post by SCBucco »

050B0E0711180707620 wrote: I would prefer signing Julio Tehran and trade for Mike Minor.  That would solidify 1 and 2 in our rotation.

Otherwise, I would take a flier on Michael Wacha instead.

We have enough 3's in our rotation already, and that is what Rick Porcello is at this point in his career.

I like this plan better than Porcello.