Ten biggest prospects of the NH era?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

With Glasnow and Meadows departing, I was wondering who the Pirates' top ten prospects have been since NH took over in 2007. I've only been considering guys who were signed as amateurs by the Pirates, and who have reached the majors. These are the ten I came up with, in no particular order:

Alvarez

McCutchen

Cole

Taillon

Glasnow

Bell

Polanco

Marte

Meadows

Hanson

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Heredia and Stetson Allie
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Keller is another. I think Cutch could be dropped since he was signed by Littlefield. (is that the case for Marte too)
ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

Easy to just look at players the pirates drafted from 2008 until 2018 and try to think who has helped the Bucs at MLB level but you also have to think about young players that NH traded for early on that were on the farm or just rookies. 

just in the first year he got Tabata, Ohlendorf, dan Mccutchen, Karstens....  a very under-rated deal. for Nady and Damaso Marte that didn't do too much afterwards.

Charlie Morton, Gorkys Hernandez (look at him now!) and Jeff Locke for McClouth was another pretty impressive haul that is only looking better and better from a talent assessment standpoint.

i'm sure there are others like that... guys like James Macdonald that did well for us for awhile. that the pirates traded for as young unproven guys.

Might be useful to think about prospects that Pirates used to acquire rentals as well. getting a guy like Wandy Rodriguez was big for the Pirates a few years back.

it took highly touted at the time guys like Rudy Owens, Robbie Grossman, Colton Cain.

that is the proper way to look at and utilize prospects IMO.

take some risks and gamble on trading some away at peak value leveraging unproven potential to get proven help in the present. And try to develop some mature and develop at the MLB level.

It took a few prospects to get guys like AJ Burnett and Francisco Cervelli too. whether they panned out or not, isn't really the crux of the issue IMO