Nutting and Williams Press conference

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

PMike

Post by PMike »

Nutting and the new president, Travis Williams are doing small sit down meetings with just a few members of the press at a time through that day. Some of the sound bytes are becoming available.

This was compelling to me from the PG's Jason Mackey:

“I began a series of discussions with people around the game who I know and respect in August,” Nutting said. “This is something that was not an immediate decision, today. Those of you who know me know that I am someone who’s methodical, if not patient. I want to make sure that we’re moving in a careful and correct direction.

I actually respect that position a lot. I think leadership in the current world is way too "knee jerk reactionary." I would appreciate an explanation on why the implementation was such a mess, but I appreciate the patience and background work.

I really want to see someone ask him about money and push him on it.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

011C383A34510 wrote: Nutting and the new president, Travis Williams are doing small sit down meetings with just a few members of the press at a time through that day.  Some of the sound bytes are becoming available.

“I began a series of discussions with people around the game who I know and respect in August,” Nutting said. “This is something that was not an immediate decision, today. Those of you who know me know that I am someone who’s methodical, if not patient. I want to make sure that we’re moving in a careful and correct direction.

I actually respect that position a lot.  I think leadership in the current world is way too "knee jerk reactionary."  I would appreciate an explanation on why the implementation was such a mess, but I appreciate the patience and background work.

I think he said the same thing when Neal was hired (or perhaps when DL was fired). Sounds like he has a process (like Nick Saban) that he likes to follow.

Quail

Post by Quail »

0B1632303E5B0 wrote: Nutting and the new president, Travis Williams are doing small sit down meetings with just a few members of the press at a time through that day.  Some of the sound bytes are becoming available.

I actually respect that position a lot.  I think leadership in the current world is way too "knee jerk reactionary."  I would appreciate an explanation on why the implementation was such a mess, but I appreciate the patience and background work.

I would suggest that Mr Nutting's actions (or lack thereof), such as allowing Hurdle to be given a vote of confidence about his job only days before his firing, and having NH conducting a manager search when he was going to be dismissed shortly, belie the truth of his words. His actions, other than perhaps in the hiring of Williams, do not reflect a methodical, careful approach. Words are cheap, which fits this owner's M.O. perfectly. As you suggest, I'd like to see him put his money where his mouth is.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

It still sounded like he dodged a lot of the questions about the payroll and adding too it but I will at least give Nutting a chance since he was willing to clean house and make all these moves. He said this was something they had been considering since August when the 8-30 stretch was taking place. So this just didn’t happen overnight and it looks as if it has been ongoing. While Williams does t have a lot of baseball experience he seems like a pretty sharp guy, has 25 years of business experience in sports,

and I like the fact that he comes from the Penguins and brings a winning culture mentality with him. So we’ll see how things go and who the Pirates look at to bring in. Should be a very interesting next month or so and offseason. This move at least gives the fans some hope of things Changing going into next season.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

All that was proven is that Nutting is a total loser.   He's a liar, and has no respect for himself beyond his bottom line.  If he weren't born into wealth, he'd be nothing important.

There's no reason to publicly make statements of faith toward NH and Frank when he knows they aren't going to be retained.  "No Comment" or "we are evaluating all facets of the organization"

There's no reason to comment like Nutting did,  except that's what losers do.   Losers lie constantly because they believe it protects them.  Even when it's totally unnecessary to comment, they'll still lie. It's what the Pirates have been shoveling fans for the past several years and it's CLEAR the lies go all the way to the very top. Why? Because Nutting needlessly lied through his teeth, for no reason or benefit at all.

@$&( Nutting and anyone who defends him.   He's a total loser and always will be.   

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

one thing Nutting likes to stress is to let everyone know is that the Bucs spend more on development than almost every team.  "We are 4th in spending on development!"

However, without context that doesn't mean much. It only matters if that spending gives the Pirates an advantage.

Let's say the Pirates spend $30 million on development and they rank third among teams.

It isn't a big deal if the other teams are spending $25 million.

If they are only spending $10 million then the Pirates might have an advantage.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

71564743465B64504746465B220 wrote: It still sounded like he dodged a lot of the questions about the payroll and adding too it but I will at least give Nutting a chance since he was willing to clean house and make all these moves. He said this was something they had been considering since August when the 8-30 stretch was taking place. So this just didn’t happen overnight and it looks as if it has been ongoing. While Williams does t have a lot of baseball experience he seems like a pretty sharp guy, has 25 years of business experience in sports, 

and I like the fact that he comes from the Penguins and brings a winning culture mentality with him. So we’ll see how things go and who the Pirates look at to bring in. Should be a very interesting next month or so and offseason. This move at least gives the fans some hope of things Changing going into next season.

1st, I’m stunned.  I’m pretty sure a lot of people inside PBC are stunned.

2nd, the biggest and most important question concerning this franchise right now is who Nutting was consulting with. “They” had been considering this since August. 

I doubt “they” include Neal or Frank.  Best guess so far in my opinion is the minority owners and/or Ogden.  The minority owners may have power to pressure Nutting with buy out options (or other rights).  Maybe they can band-together and demand either a stronger voice or force Nutting to purchase their interest at FMV?  I don’t know what percentage Nutting owns now, but suppose it’s 75% and minority has the right to sale their interest....

Ogden actually goes to games.  Maybe he has a sense of responsibility to the team, the city, MLB, and the Nutting name?

Who ever it May be, “they” are really important.  We’ll see if there is any hint of a new business approach by ownership.

3rd. I gotta believe Williams is the guy who made the call to fire Neal. Williams may not be a baseball guy but he does know the business of running a successful franchise. His talents maybe more significant than baseball knowledge.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I said that last week VA that there was no way Williams was going to be hired and keep Huntington when the story came out of Frank leaving and Williams being hired. I know Williams doesn’t have a lot of baseball background but he comes from an organization in the Penguins with a winning culture and that is important to me. I think that type of mindset can help set a tone in the front office that can trickle down to every level in the organization. The Penguins are a team that consistently wins and wins championships. Having a guy coming in that was a part in that I think can’t be and shouldn’t be overlooked.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

61465753564B74405756564B320 wrote: I said that last week VA that there was no way Williams was going to be hired and keep Huntington when the story came out of Frank leaving and Williams being hired. I know Williams doesn’t have a lot of baseball background but he comes from an organization in the Penguins with a winning culture and that is important to me. I think that type of mindset can help set a tone in the front office that can trickle down to every level in the organization. The Penguins are a team that consistently wins and wins championships. Having a guy coming in that was a part in that I think can’t be and shouldn’t be overlooked.

I’m wondering if Williams would come into the organization without some sort of commitment to winning. Williams doesn’t need to know baseball as long as he gets to bring in his people that do know baseball. And maybe he’s received a commitment to materially increase payroll.

Why would he kill his rep with the current operation?

Maybe “they” are pushing Nutting to operate like a real MLB team.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

072120372131420 wrote: one thing Nutting likes to stress is to let everyone know is that the Bucs spend more on development than almost every team.  "We are 4th in spending on development!"

However, without context that doesn't mean much. It only matters if that spending gives the Pirates an advantage.

Let's say the Pirates spend $30 million on development and they rank third among teams.

It isn't a big deal if the other teams are spending $25 million.

If they are only spending $10 million then the Pirates might have an advantage.

Based on the development of this organization, that money is a waste. Our farm system has produced some good talent, but severely lacks it on the pound and behind the dish for starters. Putting that money where they claim to be putting it might turn out to be a total waste that doesn't help the major league roster.

This whole organization is poorly run - probably the worst run organization in all of professional sports and this comes from a Phoenix Suns fan where we suck. Vote of confidence for Hurdle and then two days later - canned? Why give him one if it's inevitable? Vote of confidence in NH too? Sounds like he was out the door in August, so why wait until now? Why have NH waste time interviewing candidates for managers only to can him and now put the search on hold until you get a GM? Granted, our list of material candidates isn't strong and no one else is really chasing them. However, you are behind the eight ball filling out the coaching staff - like a pitching coach.

If I'm an AGM looking for my first GM gig, I'm not sure I have any interest in this mess, unless I get something in writing from Bob that says he will spend to help the cause on the major league roster and not put a ton into development, which has failed. Not thinking anything good comes of this.