Early spring training big picture thought

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

My way too early big picture thought is:

* This team is going to be significantly improved offensively. I don't mean they're going to be great ... but very much improved.

* But the starting pitching is going to be flat-out bad. Not enough quality, not enough quantity and a whole of of 4.2 IP, 4 ER pitching lines. There just nothing there, except a lot of guys who "might" be the No. 5 starter on a good team. And of our 5 starters, you know for sure that at least one is going to get hurt, and at least one is going to seriously under-perform. Unfortunately, there's no one any good behind them to fill in.

I just feel like the starting pitching is going to really hold back a team that might otherwise show nice progress and good promise at the plate.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

You may be correct with the starting pitching. Keller looked okay today, but nothing exceptional. Wil Crowe was impressive in his 3 innings.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

I have not been impressed by Keller.

However I have a gut feeling that Brault will have a breakout season. Unfortunately if he does then he would probably be dealt at the trade deadline.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

It's just a shame that with a bottom-basement payroll, they couldn't go out and sign at least 2 proven MLB starters. I don't mean Cy Young award winners ... just proven starters. If we signed two, that would have given us two more than we currently have.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

7153405D5E5B5C53704751515D320 wrote: It's just a shame that with a bottom-basement payroll, they couldn't go out and sign at least 2 proven MLB starters. I don't mean Cy Young award winners ... just proven starters. If we signed two, that would have given us two more than we currently have.
Someone posted in another thread the Pirates signed Trevor Cahill.

Keep up the good work! You have someone's ear!
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I'm happy with the Cahill signing. He's not great, but he's an established Major Leaguer and man we need more arms. Good signing.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

With the addition of Cahill and Underwood either the Pirates are prepared to trade or release some pitchers who were projected to make the 26 man roster, or there are some pitchers who are injured who will go on the injured list. If I remember correctly both Feliz and Stratton are out of options so either they get moved or they make the team. It should be a very interesting final 3 weeks of ST.