2021 Baseball HOF Ballots

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

The Ballots were released today, new comers include Aramis Ramirez and AJ Burnett. Of the other new names, Mark Buehrle and Tim Hudson had the best careers and probably best chance to get in along with Ramirez. Torii Hunter is another.

Schilling has the most votes of returning guys. Since there are not any surefire new guys, this might be the year he gets in. Same with Bonds and Clemens. Scott Rolen, Todd Helton, Andruw Jones, Andy Petitte, Sammy Sosa, Manny Ramirez, and Gary Sheffield are other guys on the list, all can have an argument that they are deserving based on stats.

Schilling will have to overcome his extreme political views, and the others will have to get past the weird selectivity of the writers on which guys they let in or not.
Javy

Post by Javy »

This is likely Schillings year, even though he's a whack-job. His career stats speak for themselves, and newer writers on the BBWAA may not see his views as too much out of line with their own.

As newer voters come on board, they are replacing the older writers who had heartburn over the Bonds & Clemens crew. it would not surprise me if they make a leap to near the required % this year, and then get in next year.

Beyond them, there really are not any players who stand much of a chance IMO. Rolen and Helton may the best of the rest with a chance.

Walker getting in last year certainly helps Helton with the Coors Field stigma.
BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

0F24333C450 wrote: This is likely Schillings year, even though he's a whack-job. His career stats speak for themselves, and newer writers on the BBWAA may not see his views as too much out of line with their own.

As newer voters come on board, they are replacing the older writers who had heartburn over the Bonds & Clemens crew. it would not surprise me if they make a leap to near the required % this year, and then get in next year.

Beyond them, there really are not any players who stand much of a chance IMO. Rolen and Helton may the best of the rest with a chance.

Agree. Rolen has a chance because of his position. He is probably top 10 all time, and considering you are top 10 all time over nearly 150 years, you probably belong in the HOF. Of course there are only 15 HOFs that primarily played 3B, and one of the other top 10 of all time is Adrian Beltre.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Bonds and Clemens are a weird pair: they tend to lurch forward. There could be people out there who are punishing them by making them wait to year 10. No idea if there's five or fifty, but I think there are some.
Javy

Post by Javy »

21060F0F06151606211600630 wrote: This is likely Schillings year, even though he's a whack-job. His career stats speak for themselves, and newer writers on the BBWAA may not see his views as too much out of line with their own.

Agree.  Rolen has a chance because of his position. He is probably top 10 all time, and considering you are top 10 all time over nearly 150 years, you probably belong in the HOF. Of course there are only 15 HOFs that primarily played 3B, and one of the other top 10 of all time is Adrian Beltre.

Beltre, no doubt is top 10 All-Time. Rolen, well, I liked him, especially when he first came up with the Phillies, and I got to see him on a daily basis. He changed, personality-wise, his last year+ with them, and clashed privately with Larry Bowa and forced a trade out of town. while he was always a top notch glove man, he seemed to go up and down offensively through the remainder of his career. I still think he's got a solid chance to make the Hall by the end of his 10 year eligibility.

Another 3B that I always thought should have gotten more consideration, given the dearth of the position in the Hall, was Graig Nettles. Maybe someday the Veterans Group will consider him as well. After Schmidt and Brooks, was probably the best glove man at 3B I ever watched. I think what held him back from more consideration was a relatively low career BA.
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

23040D0D04171404231402610 wrote: The Ballots were released today, new comers include Aramis Ramirez and AJ Burnett. Of the other new names, Mark Buehrle and Tim Hudson had the best careers and probably best chance to get in along with Ramirez. Torii Hunter is another.

Schilling has the most votes of returning guys.  Since there are not any surefire new guys, this might be the year he gets in.  Same with Bonds and Clemens. Scott Rolen, Todd Helton, Andruw Jones, Andy Petitte, Sammy Sosa, Manny Ramirez, and Gary Sheffield are other guys on the list, all can have an argument that they are deserving based on stats.

Schilling will have to overcome his extreme political views, and the others will have to get past the weird selectivity of the writers on which guys they let in or not.
How many do they usually pick?
Javy

Post by Javy »

Each writer can list up to 10 players on his/her ballot.

Each place on the ballot is weighted, from 1st choice to 10th. Not every writer fills out 10 though, and they can only select from the current list of eligible players, although they can write-in a player (which never works). Some writers used to write in Pete Rose every year.
Javy

Post by Javy »

596A7677747C4A776C706B6C7D7176180 wrote: Bonds and Clemens are a weird pair: they tend to lurch forward.  There could be people out there who are punishing them by making them wait to year 10. No idea if there's five or fifty, but I think there are some.
Yeah, they are, and a lot of that had to do with their respective trials.

I do think they will get in, and likely next year, their last on the ballot. Sosa and Ramirez though, I do not think will ever get in on the writers ballots. Their best chance will come with the Veterans Group

A-Rod may follow the Bonds/Clemens script and get held back for a while before he gets in.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

On top of all else he's done, both popular and unpopulsr, A-Roid had sued MLB and his own team. That tends to get people to keep long memories.

I wouldn't make travel plans to see his induction anytime soon. He may have the longest wait of all mentioned.
BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

5D76616E170 wrote: Bonds and Clemens are a weird pair: they tend to lurch forward.  There could be people out there who are punishing them by making them wait to year 10. No idea if there's five or fifty, but I think there are some.
Yeah, they are, and a lot of that had to do with their respective trials.

I do think they will get in, and likely next year, their last on the ballot. Sosa and Ramirez though, I do not think will ever get in on the writers ballots. Their best chance will come with the Veterans Group

A-Rod may follow the Bonds/Clemens script and get held back for a while before he gets in.

Bonds and Clemens are both all time greats based on their careers. Manny and Sosa and McGwire are similar to a bunch of HOFers, and probably worthy based on the numbers. Obviously people have opinions on what that means.