3. Jose Abreu (R) 1B

4. Eloy Jimenez (R) LF

5. Yasmani Grandal (S) C

6. Brian Goodwin (L) RF

7. Leury Garcia (S) SS

8. Gavin Sheets (L) DH

9. Cesar Hernandez (S) 2B

Carlos Rondon (L) SP

Find out what we got again tonight.  For the life of me, I can't get into Tucker playing in RF.  The guy is a SS and that's where he should play.  I guess BC wants to let him prove he can hit before Rule 5 day.  He already knows that Tucker can play a decent SS.
Surgnbuck

Bucs @ ChiSox - Game Thread - 9/1

Post by Surgnbuck »

Let's Go Bucs!!!
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

In the vein of "seeing what they have" I guess they want to get ABs for Tucker as well as Newman. For Tucker, it may determine if he's DFA'd after the season or not. For Newman it may be to see if there's enough hitting potential to keep him for another year or two. But if Tucker has a good September and Newman doesn't, Tucker may get consideration at SS next year.

That's the only way I can rationalize them having Tucker lead off and play OF and also having Newman in the lineup. But I suspect Tucker will hit poorly enough to get DFA'd and Newman will be back at SS next year to hit .220.

Tsutsugo, Alford and Park are also auditioning. Alford has struck out an astounding 33 times in 57 ABs.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

If Tsutsugo has a good September he may find a fat contract awaiting him. I hope he does and I'll enjoy him while I can. He'd be out of the Bucs price range.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

517770656C60776169020 wrote: If Tsutsugo has a good September he may find a fat contract awaiting him. I hope he does and I'll  enjoy him while I can. He'd  be out of the Bucs price range.
Yes, sadly the only way the Pirates are likely to retain him next year is if he's so bad in September that he doesn't get good offers from better teams. It almost defeats the purpose of signing him this year if he's not going to be with them next year. Or if the only way he can be with them next year is to be bad enough that no one else wants him. :(
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

7A575A4B4C5D4A0A09380 wrote: In the vein of "seeing what they have" I guess they want to get ABs for Tucker as well as Newman. For Tucker, it may determine if he's DFA'd after the season or not. For Newman it may be to see if there's enough hitting potential to keep him for another year or two. But if Tucker has a good September and Newman doesn't, Tucker may get consideration at SS next year.

That's the only way I can rationalize them having Tucker lead off and play OF and also having Newman in the lineup. But I suspect Tucker will hit poorly enough to get DFA'd and Newman will be back at SS next year to hit .220.

Tsutsugo, Alford and Park are also auditioning. Alford has struck out an astounding 33 times in 57 ABs. 
Was hoping Alford would be better when he returned but he has been terrible. I agree that Newman will be the SS next year-if He can hit 230, I would be happy.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

You're all making me depressed, except for the 'let's go Bucs' and 'enjoy them while they're here.'

Of course, batting Tucker leadoff and playing him at all started it. :(((
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

092429383F2E39797A4B0 wrote: If Tsutsugo has a good September he may find a fat contract awaiting him. I hope he does and I'll  enjoy him while I can. He'd  be out of the Bucs price range.
Yes, sadly the only way the Pirates are likely to retain him next year is if he's so bad in September that he doesn't get good offers from better teams. It almost defeats the purpose of signing him this year if he's not going to be with them next year. Or if the only way he can be with them next year is to be bad enough that no one else wants him.   :(

Seriously? You guys think two good months in PGH is going to net him a contract out of the Pirates range? If you’re right I’m very disappointed. Frankly, I don’t know if Ben is even interested in him, but I never dreamed tge Pirates would not be able to afford him if they do have an interest.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I'm certain that they're able.

Willing? I won't bet it.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

494E58505E490E027B5C565A5257155854563B0 wrote: If Tsutsugo has a good September he may find a fat contract awaiting him. I hope he does and I'll  enjoy him while I can. He'd  be out of the Bucs price range.
Yes, sadly the only way the Pirates are likely to retain him next year is if he's so bad in September that he doesn't get good offers from better teams. It almost defeats the purpose of signing him this year if he's not going to be with them next year. Or if the only way he can be with them next year is to be bad enough that no one else wants him.   :(

Seriously?  You guys think two good months in PGH is going to net him a contract out of the Pirates range?  If you’re right I’m very disappointed.  Frankly, I don’t know if Ben is even interested in him, but I never dreamed tge Pirates would not be able to afford him if they do have an interest. 
Two things to consider. What is the Pirates range? And why would he choose to remain with the Pirates if better teams offered the same or more than the Pirates? The better he does, the more opportunities he'll have. So even assuming the Pirates' range was competitive with what other teams offered, he would have to choose to remain a Pirate instead of taking any other offer. And that seems far more likely if he hasn't produced at a rate that would attract other, better teams.