Fangraphs 2021 Pirates projections

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I don't know enough about their "ZiPs" evaluation system to know how accurate it might be. But it's an interesting read. I was surprised that they are pretty positive toward Musgrove.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2021-zips-p ... h-pirates/

Here's a brief explanation of their ZiPs system.

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/projection-sy ... d%20trends.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Bobster, thank you for posting this. It is an interesting method for projecting. I think the people over a PNB use it to project their win-loss projections for the up-coming year. I can see it better team-wide. If one guy is having an off year, another is having a good year and they balance out. I believe much more in its accuracy when (if ever) it projects the Pirates having a good year.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I think, as fans, we get so invested we sometimes see what we want to see. Sometimes either too high or too low on a player. So it's nice to get an outsider's view. For example, all I see from Musgrove is a very inconsistent pitcher. But it was good to read he may have turned a corner with his curveball and that only 1 out of 139 of his curves resulted in a hit last year. OTOH, I hope Keller and Brubaker can become strong starters but the article suggests "no real ace potential here."
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

143934252233246467560 wrote: I think, as fans, we get so invested we sometimes see what we want to see. Sometimes either too high or too low on a player. So it's nice to get an outsider's view. For example, all I see from Musgrove is a very inconsistent pitcher. But it was good to read he may have turned a corner with his curveball and that [highlight]only 1 out of 139 of his curves resulted in a hit last year.[/highlight] OTOH, I hope Keller and Brubaker can become strong starters but the article suggests "no real ace potential here."

I don't care who the pitcher is, that's pretty impressive.