who is the #9 prospect for 2020

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

psuinpgh21

Post by psuinpgh21 »

Mason Martin picks up the #8 spot quite easily, even if I listed it as #7. A clear-cut 2nd place but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I've been adding young players with a little experience, adding Santiago Florez, 19 year old rightie.

The results so far:

1. Mitch Keller, SP, 23, AAA/ML, 63.2% of the votes

2. Ke'Bryan Hayes, 3B, 22, AAA 79.6% of the votes

3. O'Neil Cruz, 21, SS?, High A, 71.7% of the votes

4. Quinn Priester, 19, SP, Rookie, 23.6% of the votes, won run-off for #4

5. Travis Swaggerty, 22, OF, High A, 42.6% of the votes.

6. Cody Bolton, 21, SP, AA, 31.2% of the vote

7. Tahnaj Thomas, 20, SP, Low A, 32.7% of the votes

8. Mason Martin, 20, 1B, High A, 46.2% of the vote
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

Cal Mitchell may be the choice of the official site, but the stats don't support this guy as a bat- first of.

Bae has some personality problems but he's got talent, pedigree, and strong numbers
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Can we add Michael Burrows to the next poll.

He is a 20 yr old RHP who was at A- short season Morgantown last season. He is a high schooler who jumped from the GCL to Morgantown instead of Bristol in his first full season with the Bucs. He is expected to jump to Greensboro this season an continue to develop as a starter.
psuinpgh21

Post by psuinpgh21 »

Absolutely. I welcome all input. I went with Florez because MLB was high on him and he was only 19. 03222A032820470 wrote: Can we add Michael Burrows to the next poll.

He is a 20 yr old RHP who was at A- short season Morgantown last season.  He is a high schooler who jumped from the GCL to Morgantown instead of Bristol in his first full season with the Bucs.  He is expected to jump to Greensboro this season an continue to develop as a starter.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

456F645463757579160 wrote: Cal Mitchell may be the choice of the official site, but the stats don't support  this guy as a bat- first of.

Bae has some personality problems but he's got talent, pedigree, and strong numbers

I consider Oliva and Bae above Mitchell as well.

But Mitchell has huge breakout potential this year. He was clearly overmatched as a 20 year old in High A, but he still showed some power in a pitching friendly league with almost 40 xbh.

For me, if a guy doesn't show you something (this would be like an .850-.900 OPS for the entire level) by their season at AA, they are not likely to make an impact at the MLB level.

Will Craig is the ultimate example of that for me. These guys that just chug along through the system, showing just enough to warrant promotion at the end of the season aren't worth paying attention to.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

There's no doubt that OBN watchers are all about youth this year and the lower minors. I myself am guilty of that trend with Bae my latest vote.

However ... just as you consider names to add in the future psuinpgh21, a couple of guys who are kind of forgotten come to mind (and this is no way me advocating that they are somehow in the next few rounds as I've got plenty on this list I am anxious to vote for).

Blake Cederlind is extremely interesting to me. He seems to have a really high ceiling if he can learn to throw more strikes harness and fastball that is said to hit 100 regularly. The MLB site has him at #28 and if you prefer voting for high-ceiling guys, that seems way low.

Now if you don't like the high-ceiling guys I think JT Brubaker is likely to finally get his chance in our rotation some time this year. He's old, he really struggled with injuries last year, but he was also our Minor League Pitcher of the Year two years ago. I think there will have to be some discussion about his potential in the late teens, early 20's. At some point I get past voting for youth and wonder who might actually have an affect on the MLB roster this year. His potential for this team seems a bit forgotten.

Which brings me to my last suggestion, Cody Ponce. We got him from MIL where he was a minor league reliever for Jordan Lyles in a "meh" trade. We turned him into a starter and his work was at least interesting last year with an AZ league effort that was really solid in numerous ways. The guy will be at AAA this year and I think may end up being a depth option and actually getting MLB time before the season ends. If we are going to 30 guys, I think there is a pretty good case he is in the high 20's. So please don't forget him at some point.

Thanks -- always love this! Made a huge case for Frazier a few years ago that got a few noses out of joint (that's me patting myself on the back). I also made a pretty good case for DuRapau a couple of times (that's me acknowledging that I don't know what I'm talking about).
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

0A2B3E370F362D3E2B3A5F0 wrote: There's no doubt that OBN watchers are all about youth this year and the lower minors. I myself am guilty of that trend with Bae my latest vote.

However ... just as you consider names to add in the future psuinpgh21, a couple of guys who are kind of forgotten come to mind (and this is no way me advocating that they are somehow in the next few rounds as I've got plenty on this list I am anxious to vote for).

Blake Cederlind is extremely interesting to me. He seems to have a really high ceiling if he can learn to throw more strikes harness and fastball that is said to hit 100 regularly. The MLB site has him at #28 and if you prefer voting for high-ceiling guys, that seems way low.

Now if you don't like the high-ceiling guys I think JT Brubaker is likely to finally get his chance in our rotation some time this year. He's old, he really struggled with injuries last year, but he was also our Minor League Pitcher of the Year two years ago. I think there will have to be some discussion about his potential in the late teens, early 20's. At some point I get past voting for youth and wonder who might actually have an affect on the MLB roster this year. His potential for this team seems a bit forgotten.

Which brings me to my last suggestion, Cody Ponce. We got him from MIL where he was a minor league reliever for Jordan Lyles in a "meh" trade. We turned him into a starter and his work was at least interesting last year with an AZ league effort that was really solid in numerous ways. The guy will be at AAA this year and I think may end up being a depth option and actually getting MLB time before the season ends. If we are going to 30 guys, I think there is a pretty good case he is in the high 20's. So please don't forget him at some point.

Thanks -- always love this! Made a huge case for Frazier a few years ago that got a few noses out of joint (that's me patting myself on the back). I also made a pretty good case for DuRapau a couple of times (that's me acknowledging that I don't know what I'm talking about).
Great thoughts! I argued for Jake Stallings last year, but I've forgotten my misguided choices, so I can't follow your lead. :)

Brubaker should definitely be added to the poll!
psuinpgh21

Post by psuinpgh21 »

Shows how much attention I've been paying- Burrows is already on the list7774726E6977606F3536070 wrote: Absolutely. I welcome all input. I went with Florez because MLB was high on him and he was only 19. Can we add Michael Burrows to the next poll.

He is a 20 yr old RHP who was at A- short season Morgantown last season.  He is a high schooler who jumped from the GCL to Morgantown instead of Bristol in his first full season with the Bucs.  He is expected to jump to Greensboro this season an continue to develop as a starter.