Will The Pirates Retire #28 This Season

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Last night the Pirates and the City of Bradenton honered Steve Blass. There will be many speeches etc about Steve this final season with the Pirates broadcast crew. I am wondering before this season ends , and especially when they honor Steve at PNC Park, as to whether the Pirates retire his jersey #28. Who knows they could do it Opening Day.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

When you consider the other retired #s for the Pirates Blass does not really qualify based upon his playing career. Now from the broadcasting side plus his playing career, it might be a possibility.

But then what do you do with two all-time great Pirate broadcasters Rosie Rosewell and Bob "The Gunner" Prince. These two guys made listening to a Pirate game on a transistor radio tucked under the pillow unbeknownst to my parents. There is currently no broadcaster who can hold a candle to those two and guys like Mel Allen (Yankees), Vin Scully (Dodgers), Harry Carey (Cards & Cubs), Ernie Harwell (Tigers) to name a few.

In my opinion, if the Bucs want to honor Blass name the Press Box in his honor and put up a sign in recognition on it. But do not retire his #.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

72535B725951360 wrote: ... made listening to a Pirate game on a transistor radio tucked under the pillow unbeknownst to my parents.  There is currently no broadcaster who can hold a candle to those two and guys like Mel Allen (Yankees), Vin Scully (Dodgers), Harry Carey (Cards & Cubs), Ernie Harwell (Tigers) to name a few.

Man Possum, you just flooded my head with fond memories. For a grade school kid in Utah, who was a long way from a major league city, listening to baseball was a little difficult. But, when the sun went down, I could barely get the signal from KFI, a powerful 50,000 watt AM station that carried the Dodgers and was 650 miles from my bedroom. Loved Scully, hated his Dodgers (something about Hollywood that still resides in me).

I always knew when Roberto and my Pirates were in LA. The gentle AM crackle, a signal that would fade in and out, the transistor tucked under my pillow, gently fussing with the receiver wheel to see if a slight adjustment would grab the signal again, and my parents quite sure I was asleep opening the door and peeking in at some point as I lay perfectly still (playing possum as they say!), often listening until late into the night. A memory almost as sweet as waiting for the afternoon paper so I could pour through the box scores to see who hit well the night before and which Bucco was a Top 10 leader in a statistical categories (we hit so well back then, there was always someone in the BA leaders, usually Clemente and for whatever reason I was a huge fan of Matty Alou when he played for us).

School lunch was 25 cents and so was a pack of baseball cards. Lunch money was the only money I had and many times I was faced with the decision to eat, or add to my card collection by slipping off school grounds and heading to a market several blocks away, praying while I went I'd get a missing player, or even better, one of the World Series special cards from the year before. It was a stealthy journey I always took by myself. Simpler times, but baseball was taking up permanent residence deep within my soul. Great personal memories! "Transistor radio" took me there - thanks!
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I don't think so. My first thought for #28 was Bill Robinson.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Blass was an outstanding pitcher for them for several years but not long enough to merit retiring his number. But his overall service to the organization certainly merits recognition: star pitcher, World Series hero, broadcaster, ambassador for the team. I got to know him a little bit and he's a great guy and a lot of fun to be around with his crazy sense of humor. He loves the Pirates, loves talking about them and people gravitate to him. And while I don't think they will retire #28, it would please me if they did because of his overall service to the team. Billy Meyer's number was retired after he had 1 winning season as mgr out of 5 and lost 96, 90 and 112 games in his final 3 seasons. But he was well liked as is Blass.