Anyone know this play? June 25, 1972

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Pirates were playing the Cubs in Wrigley. This game:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxe ... 6250.shtml

Sixth inning, one out, Santo on first base. Paul Popovich pops up, which BB-Ref reports as:

"Double Play: Popfly: 2B; Santo out at 2B/2B-RF-SS"

I'm guessing that means Cash at second caught a popup with his back to the field, and he flipped it to Clemente coming in, who threw to Alley to get Santo advancing to second? I can't find a detailed game story online.

Clemente got another assist two innings later, a force play at second on a grounder to right.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I can only guess at the first one. Santo isn't likely to have tagged up to go to 2B on a popup to 2B. More likely that Cash tried to double him off 1B and made a bad throw that Clemente backed up and got the out at 2B when Santo tried to advance on a bad throw.

Unfortunately the PG archive for that game doesn't mention the play. It does describe the second one. With Billy Williams at 1B Jim Hickman hit a ball down the RF line and Clemente deeked Williams into thinking he would catch it. But he fielded it on one hop and forced Williams at 2B when Williams got a late start thinking the ball would be caught.
BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

073428292A221429322E3532232F28460 wrote: Pirates were playing the Cubs in Wrigley. This game:

Sixth inning, one out, Santo on first base. Paul Popovich pops up, which BB-Ref reports as:

I'm guessing that means Cash at second caught a popup with his back to the field, and he flipped it to Clemente coming in, who threw to Alley to get Santo advancing to second? I can't find a detailed game story online. 

Clemente got another assist two innings later, a force play at second on a grounder to right.

You would think there would be some kind of broadcast archive, but I cannot find that particular game. I did find a comment about how the previous half inning was also interesting. Stargell is shown to have a hit a double when the ball bounced into the bleachers. Apparently, that is not what happened. His hit went through an open door in the outfield, and the umpires decided that Clemente and Stargel would have only made it to 3rd and 2nd if the door was closed.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

50777E7E77646777506771120 wrote: Pirates were playing the Cubs in Wrigley. This game:

You would think there would be some kind of broadcast archive, but I cannot find that particular game.  I did find a comment about how the previous half inning was also interesting.  Stargell is shown to have a hit a double when the ball bounced into the bleachers.  Apparently, that is not what happened.  His hit went through an open door in the outfield, and the umpires decided that Clemente and Stargel would have only made it to 3rd and 2nd if the door was closed.

did Cubby ground crew open up the door on purpose to let the ball through? I guess we will only know if someone makes a deathbed confession.