Let the rumor mill begin

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

OrlandoMerced

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by OrlandoMerced »

122F313C33393210382F3E38395D0 wrote: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-pir ... his-thing/

This is exactly where I am, and why I still think they should pursue Keuchel or Corbin this offseason.

This Pirates team is not as far away from contention as we might believe, either this year or in the future. They have a bunch of good, young players at the MLB level, six players on FanGraphs’ midseason prospect list, and they should have a boatload of payroll room in the offseason. The Pirates don’t deserve the benefit of the doubt given their past inaction, but letting the season play out might be the right call, although a much bigger investment needs to be made in next year’s team.

And to save the clicks, the six guys that fangraphs has on their prospect list are Keller, Meadows, Hayes, Tucker, Swaggerty and Baz.
SammyKhalifa

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by SammyKhalifa »

033E202D22282301293E2F29284C0 wrote: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-pir ... his-thing/

This is exactly where I am, and why I still think they should pursue Keuchel or Corbin this offseason.

This Pirates team is not as far away from contention as we might believe, either this year or in the future. They have a bunch of good, young players at the MLB level, six players on FanGraphs’ midseason prospect list, and they should have a boatload of payroll room in the offseason. The Pirates don’t deserve the benefit of the doubt given their past inaction, but letting the season play out might be the right call, although a much bigger investment needs to be made in next year’s team.

And to save the clicks, the six guys that fangraphs has on their prospect list are Keller, Meadows, Hayes, Tucker, Swaggerty and Baz.

Baz is like the "lost man" to me right now. You don't really hear much about him considering his high draft status, do you?
OrlandoMerced

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I feel like the organization's MO with Prep pitchers has been.

Post Draft assignment - just let the guy pitch.

First full season - mechanical adjustments are made in camp and worked on through extended spring training.

Then, in the second full season we get to see how those adjustments take effect.
Ecbucs

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by Ecbucs »

0439272A252F24062E39282E2F4B0 wrote: I feel like the organization's MO with Prep pitchers has been.

Post Draft assignment - just let the guy pitch.

First full season - mechanical adjustments are made in camp and worked on through extended spring training.

Then, in the second full season we get to see how those adjustments take effect.

this seems like a reasonable approach.
CTBucco

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by CTBucco »

As much as adding Thor or deGrom would be fantastic, the price will be high - probably more than I'd want to pay.

I think bringing back JA Happ as a rental makes a lot of sense. He's a LHSP, been here and done well in a stretch run under Searage. His numbers are pretty good with a high K-rate, okay WHIP, and his xFIP is actually better than it was in 2015. He's a FA at year's end, so the cost shouldn't be outrageous.

If Donalson was healthy...I know. Nutting's too cheap.
CarolinaBucco

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I'm totally on board with bringing JA Happ back for the final 2 months as a rental. I think that would be a good move and good fit and make the team better ... at what would be a reasonable price.

That said, there is no chance the Pirates make that kind of move.

The most we'll do is get a relief pitcher and/or a middle infielder. Just so we can say we did something. Oh, and of course we'll overpay for it.
iwatch

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by iwatch »

It is being reported at this moment that the Yankees are acquiring JA Happ from the Jays for Brandon Drury and a minor leaguer. So, we could've easily got him. So goes the newest summer of our discontent. The Bucs miss the chance to sell and they won't buy.
dmetz

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by dmetz »

Martin Maldanado C to Astros for LHP Patrick Sandoval.   a strong defensive backup catcher for the rest of the season for an A Ball nobody, 11th round pick. 

Soria to the Brewers for Kodi Mederios. Never heard of him. Looks like an OK AA starter who struggled a lot in the pros initially. Don't know. Soria is a quality reliever.

iabucco

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by iabucco »

Is there anyone really out there that excites you and would really help the Pirates make the playoffs and make a run in the playoffs? I like Happ but I don't think he really excites me that he will make the pirates legitimate. That should be NH's job to search and find a piece to help this team. If they don't do it now they better do it during the off season.
Kovalwat

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by Kovalwat »

51595A4D5B5B57380 wrote: Is there anyone really out there that excites you and would really help the Pirates make the playoffs and make a run in the playoffs?  I like Happ but I don't think he really excites me that he will make the pirates legitimate.  That should be NH's job to search and find a piece to help this team.  If they don't do it now they better do it during the off season. 
---

And if they don't do it this off season, they better do it at next year's trade deadline.