Let the rumor mill begin

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

iabucco

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by iabucco »

DeGrom probably is a pipe dream but he would add so much and not just for this year. The system is pretty deep. I think we know how cheap the team has been and as fans we have over valued our prospects. Of the trades the Pirates made over the years they made the playoffs have they traded anyone that really hurt? I agree that this would be a great public relations move, it would give the team a shot in the arm in the playoff race and would really help them if they are in the one game playoff. I do not want to give up Keller but I think this is a bold move the team should make.
pghpaulatl

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by pghpaulatl »

I agree with this being a great opportunity for the NUT to win back fans as well as put some big money in his pocket.

If he lets NH make a DeGrom type trade and show he was in for the remainder of the season a minimum of two things happen that adds dollars:

1) Fans pack PNC increasing revenue

2) Improves his negotiating position with AT & T for upcoming broadcasting contract renewal

All in all this 11 game win streak is the best thing to happen to Bucs in a long time let's see if the NUT is smart enough to take advantage of it.
SammyKhalifa

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Board seems to be overly fixated on a guy that might not even be on the market.

"In other tweets,, Heyman notes that though the Mets are doing their due diligence on current offers for Jacob deGrom or Noah Syndergaard, it’s more probably the team would wait until the offseason to deal either ace.  Waiting until the winter opens up a wider array of potential suitors for trades, and thus would increase the Mets’ chances of landing their desired return of MLB-ready talent."

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/07/ ... raves.html

Next we'll hear about how the team is cheap because they didn't "go get" a guy that they didn't want to sell quite yet.  Not saying it's not a possiblity because obviously the Mets are selling a lot of guys, but it seems pretty down the list of possible guys.
rucker59@gmail.com

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

764448485C6E4D44494C4344250 wrote: Board seems to be overly fixated on a guy that might not even be on the market.

"In other tweets,, Heyman notes that though the Mets are doing their due diligence on current offers for Jacob deGrom or Noah Syndergaard, it’s more probably the team would wait until the offseason to deal either ace.  Waiting until the winter opens up a wider array of potential suitors for trades, and thus would increase the Mets’ chances of landing their desired return of MLB-ready talent."

Next we'll hear about how the team is cheap because they didn't "go get" a guy that they didn't want to sell quite yet.  Not saying it's not a possiblity because obviously the Mets are selling a lot of guys, but it seems pretty down the list.

Sammy, we’re just exercising the age-old baseball right of dreaming. No one is expecting it. You’re right, I doubt the Mets move him and I think they’re crazy if they do.

But this is a deal that could happen (except for the 0% thing), unlike a FA deal. It could completely change the Pirate forecast. It’s “hope and fun” for a fan base that hasn’t had much of either.

At 7:10 this evening it’s back to reality and a sweep of the dreaded Tribe and the March to the Playoffs with or without DeGrom.
SammyKhalifa

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I definitely agree! There are other guys out there too though.

Is there anything we want on the Orioles? They seem to be jettisoning the entire roster (which is reasonable of them I guess considering).
Bobster21

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by Bobster21 »

292E38303E296E621B3C363A3237753834365B0 wrote: Board seems to be overly fixated on a guy that might not even be on the market.

Next we'll hear about how the team is cheap because they didn't "go get" a guy that they didn't want to sell quite yet.  Not saying it's not a possiblity because obviously the Mets are selling a lot of guys, but it seems pretty down the list.

Sammy, we’re just exercising the age-old baseball right of  dreaming.  No one is expecting it. You’re right, I doubt the Mets move him and I think they’re crazy if they do.

But this is a deal that could happen (except for the 0% thing), unlike a FA deal. It could completely change the Pirate forecast.  It’s “hope and fun” for a fan base that hasn’t had much of either.

At 7:10 this evening it’s back to reality and a sweep of the dreaded Tribe and the March to the Playoffs with or without DeGrom.

Hopefully, at 7:10 tonight you'll be talking about the win that occurred in the 1:10 afternoon game. :D :D
IABucFan

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by IABucFan »

202731393720676B12353F333B3E7C313D3F520 wrote: Board seems to be overly fixated on a guy that might not even be on the market.

Sammy, we’re just exercising the age-old baseball right of  dreaming.  No one is expecting it. You’re right, I doubt the Mets move him and I think they’re crazy if they do.

But this is a deal that could happen (except for the 0% thing), unlike a FA deal. It could completely change the Pirate forecast.  It’s “hope and fun” for a fan base that hasn’t had much of either.

Game today's a 1:10 start ET start, FYI.

I haven't posted much lately for two reasons. One, I've been swamped...I've only actually watched like two games this year start to finish. And two, I was so fed up with the Pirates during their losing that I couldn't stand to watch them even if I did have the time.

But...this win streak has them squarely in the mix for a playoff spot. I don't think DeGrom is a possibility, but MLB Network was throwing out Kevin Gausman's name as a guy the Pirates might pursue. I don't really like that idea, personally. I don't think he offers an upgrade over any of our five starters, and might even be a downgrade over whomever he'd knock out of the rotation. He's got a 4.54 ERA, actually a bit of a downgrade over his 4.58 FIP.
IABucFan

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by IABucFan »

Personally, I think there are two areas where the Bucs should especially look to upgrade: shortstop and catcher. Cervelli has been great this year (much better than I anticipated), but he's fragile. As others have noted, he probably won't be able to stay behind the plate much longer. I'm perfectly comfortable with Diaz, but I'd like a better back-up than Stallings. Mercer is average...he'll hit a bit, make the plays he needs to make, but I think they can do better. The MiLB guys seem to me to be about the same. I don't foresee much of a change in one direction or the other transitioning from Mercer to Newman or whoever. So, if the opportunity is there to get an upgrade, go for it.

Problem is...both are premium positions. Above average shortstops and catchers don't grow on trees. It will probably cost an arm and a leg to acquire one.
iabucco

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by iabucco »

It is too bad that the Machado trade happened before the win streak. Based upon the rankings of the players the dodgers gave up, the Pirates could have possibly topped it without hurting the future too much.

I agree an upgrade at ss would be big but I am still fixated on trying to get an ace. I think one really good pitcher who could push Taillon to a 2, and everyone else down one slot would be a huge addition. Pitching usually wins in the playoffs. If DeGrom isn't available, who else is out there that we could get?
OrlandoMerced

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Red Sox got Eovaldi, looks like the AL is about to have an arms race.