What would another GM do?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I am not a big newspaper person, so maybe I'm not the best person to ask.  I rarely read the paper anymore.  I do follow some on Twitter and read their links. 

I don't mind Stephen Nesbit or Bill Brink.  I also don't mind Stan Savran, Guy Junker, Alby Oxrereiter, but they were never beat writers that I know of.  Jen Langosch covered a good bit.  I do like Peter Gammons, Jayson Starks and Tim Kurkjian.

It's really Perotto that I have no respect for with the way he treats others.  Dejan is just a baby on Twitter, quite funny actually.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Freddy Freeman goes down, the braves acquire Matt Adams from the cards to replace him, middle of may.

I thought for sure trades don't happen this early, especially trades by teams that have no chance to compete (Braves)

Both the cards and braves should be widely criticized for trading outside of the accepted windows!   Who do they think they are?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

050C04151B610 wrote: Freddy Freeman goes down, the braves acquire Matt Adams from the cards to replace him, middle of may.

I thought for sure trades don't happen this early, especially trades by teams that have no chance to compete (Braves)

Both the cards and braves should be widely criticized for trading outside of the accepted windows!   Who do they think they are?

Adams was pretty much given away. The White Sox traded Alex Katz the same day. There were 15 trades in May. Only Adams was known (probably because of Pittsburgh ties).

These weren't block buster trades, which was the point. And the point you claimed you understood when a few explained it to you.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

7F767E6F611B0 wrote: Freddy Freeman goes down, the braves acquire Matt Adams from the cards to replace him, middle of may.

Adams is first baseman trying to play in the outfield. I doubt he'd be any better defensively than what we were already running out there. Offensively, he might have been worth a shot if we could have gotten him on the cheap, but he strikes out a lot and does not walk much, so he's no guarantee to do anything.

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

A much more immediate question is that since we've recalled an actual, real-life, honest-to-God outfielder (Danny Ortiz), why do we still have random infielders booting balls out there?
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Because he can't hit.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

7A71797570716A2F295E677F767171307D711E0 wrote: Freddy Freeman goes down, the braves acquire Matt Adams from the cards to replace him, middle of may.

Adams was pretty much given away.  The White Sox traded Alex Katz the same day.  There were 15 trades in May.  Only Adams was known (probably because of Pittsburgh ties).

These weren't block buster trades, which was the point.  And the point you claimed you understood when a few explained it to you. 

No, your point misses the point . I held off making the same post Dmetz posted - I figured the responses would parce the deal into a meaningless transaction.  But it's anything but meaningless.

The Braves have taken a lot of action to rebuild since last season.  They are BUILDING a team from every source.  They are not punting on this season; whatever their season is worth they are trying to be the best they can be by acquiring a credible replacement piece for Freeman.

The Pirates on the other hand have built nothing and have literally embarrassed themselves by pulling any spare part that has a heart beat. 

How folks can possible criticize the Braves, or belittle there attempts to field a competitive team is beyond astounding. 

The fact is, the Pirates did nothing.  The first excuse was that trades don't happen before July.  How that the Cards and Braves have blown that excuse up, We need a new excuse and it goes something like this: well that trade proves the Pirates right, Adams can't even play the outfield and besides he's not that good and besides no one knows of him except Pirate fans since he played at SR and beside this trade was meaningless.

When blind excuses keep following no actions the excuses begin to lose their appeal - unlike the Braves, this Pirate team claimed to have post season aspirations.  Unlike the Braves, when the Pirate team with aspirations lost two key players for a minimum of half a season the Pirates did NOTHING. 

There are no excuses for that.  And THAT's the point.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I agree with the premise that trades which significantly change a roster rarely happen prior to the trade deadline. But minor deals take place all the time. But whenever a team loses a significant player(s) for an extended period it creates an immediate need to find a trade partner unless there is a ready and able replacement in AAA. The Braves made such a deal when Freeman went down. The Pirates presumably came north from ST this year with the team they wanted for their self-imposed budget while expecting Kang to be along before too long. At the point they knew that wasn't happening there was an immediate need to look for a deal to strengthen the team. Ditto when Marte was lost. I'm sure they aren't waiting for July to improve the roster. If they were going to make a deal they would already have done so. They just don't seem interested in doing anything but saving money.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Significance trades are rarely made. That was my point and many other points. Of course, when players go down moves are sometimes made. The Pirates did nothing. I don't know why. I am not making an excuse. After seeing Jaso and Osuna play the field and not hit, I wanted them to make a move.

The Braves are just trying to put butts in the seats. I wouldn't be happy as a Braves' fan. They brought in a bunch of overpaid, old veteran. That isn't how a team rebuilds. It looks like they failed going into the new ballpark and then brought in a bunch guys. Their payroll is higher than the Pirates with the same record.

Trading Cole, McCutchen, Nova, or Watson in April wouldn't have been the best move. Teams don't even know if they are buyers or sellers yet. Are the Cubs selling too? Only two games up on the Pirates. They could get a lot for Bryant and Rizzo.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

505B535F5A5B400503744D555C5B5B1A575B340 wrote: Significance trades are rarely made.  That was my point and many other points.  Of course, when players go down moves are sometimes made.  The Pirates did nothing.  I don't know why.  I am not making an excuse.  After seeing Jaso and Osuna play the field and not hit, I wanted them to make a move.

The Braves are just trying to put butts in the seats.  I wouldn't be happy as a Braves' fan.  They brought in a bunch of overpaid, old veteran.  That isn't how a team rebuilds.  It looks like they failed going into the new ballpark and then brought in a bunch guys.  Their payroll is higher than the Pirates with the same record.

Trading Cole, McCutchen, Nova, or Watson in April wouldn't have been the best move.  Teams don't even know if they are buyers or sellers yet.  Are the Cubs selling too?  Only two games up on the Pirates.  They could get a lot for Bryant and Rizzo.

I agree with your statement that the Braves are trying to put butts in the seats. They could have relaxed knowing they have a new ballpark and people will want to see it. But instead they traded for Phillips and signed some stop gap pitchers in the off season and then the minor deal for Adams.

On the other hand, the Pirates have come out with a ticket subscription plan.