Let the rumor mill begin

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by Ecbucs »

5E727A7D7651667060130 wrote: In thinking about DeGrom I offer the following.

First, DeGrom appears to be the type of top of rotation starter that the Pirates currently are missing.  I recognize that such starters typically require a significant payment in talent.

Two, DeGrom currently is earning a reasonable $7.4 mil/year and has 2 full years of control remaining.  Obviously, the next 2 years will cost quite a bit more than his current salary.

Three, the Mets don't really need to trade DeGrom unless they receive significant talent in return.

Four, with the exception of Nova, most of the Pirates starting rotation will continue to be 'cheap' next year, and the Bucs can try to move/not resign some players (Harrison, Mercer, Rodriguez, Freese for starters) to make it easier to pay DeGrom's higher salary.

Five, that said, I am really hesitant to trade Keller.  I know he is the team's top rated prospect and is the type of top of the line talent that likely needs to be traded to try and land deGrom.  And, I know that many Pirate prospect hurlers have failed to pitch up to their pedigrees in the majors.  However, 'if' Keller develops, he could help to form a formidable starting staff for several years.

Six, I have no qualms in trading Meadows, Hayes, Tucker, Kramer, Baz or other top Pirate prospects for real talent.  And while I recognize that the number of prospects does not make up for top tier talent, I suggest that the Bucs try the following:

4 of any prospects in the system not named Keller and either Williams or Glasnow from the major league staff.   

a lot depends on what the Pirates think of Keller. If they think he can be as good as deGrom and do that in his first couple years in the majors then you want to keep him. However, we've seen Taillon and he has yet to be as good as DeGrom. If Keller is like Glasnow he may not even be ready to start in the majors until 2021 or 2022. The thing about DeGrom is he is top starter for the next couple of seasons. Then if Taillon takes a step forward the Bucs will have a good one two punch.

If we wait for Keller that doesn't happen until 2020 at the earliest.
dmetz

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by dmetz »

2.5 years of inexpensive DeGrom? How about Keller, Meadows, and one of our 5 minor league shortstops not named Oneil Cruz?  That should get them thinking.   
dmetz

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by dmetz »

Actually, I wouldn't do that trade.  I would do Keller and Meadows and a low minors flier and see if that works.  It might not.  I'm sure they'll get a better offer than that.

There's almost no chance we are trading for DeGrom anyway, so it's not a big deal.   

We really should trade one of these shortstops though.   We've got a bunch in the system who are "prospects"
Wrathchild

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by Wrathchild »

I was just looking at something and I'll tell you who I wouldn't trade: Tyler Glasnow. I didn't realize how extreme his ground ball rate is this season. It's 54.8%. Quite a bit higher than anyone else with significant innings. His ERA is way higher than his FIP (3.46) and xFIP (3.25). If he was pitching with good infield defense, he might become the guy we thought we were going to get.
fjk090852-7

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Report out of a Texas is the Bucs have shown an interest in Keone Kela. He would be a set up man for Vasquez .
SCBucco

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by SCBucco »

524A484F4F58494E535244210 wrote: In thinking about DeGrom I offer the following.

First, DeGrom appears to be the type of top of rotation starter that the Pirates currently are missing.  I recognize that such starters typically require a significant payment in talent.

Two, DeGrom currently is earning a reasonable $7.4 mil/year and has 2 full years of control remaining.  Obviously, the next 2 years will cost quite a bit more than his current salary.

Three, the Mets don't really need to trade DeGrom unless they receive significant talent in return.

Four, with the exception of Nova, most of the Pirates starting rotation will continue to be 'cheap' next year, and the Bucs can try to move/not resign some players (Harrison, Mercer, Rodriguez, Freese for starters) to make it easier to pay DeGrom's higher salary.

Five, that said, I am really hesitant to trade Keller.  I know he is the team's top rated prospect and is the type of top of the line talent that likely needs to be traded to try and land deGrom.  And, I know that many Pirate prospect hurlers have failed to pitch up to their pedigrees in the majors.  However, 'if' Keller develops, he could help to form a formidable starting staff for several years.

Six, I have no qualms in trading Meadows, Hayes, Tucker, Kramer, Baz or other top Pirate prospects for real talent.  And while I recognize that the number of prospects does not make up for top tier talent, I suggest that the Bucs try the following:

4 of any prospects in the system not named Keller and either Williams or Glasnow from the major league staff.   
I would give them Meadows, and Williams, and Nova and pay half his salary for DeGrom, that's would be reasonable for both clubs.

I don't understand why the Mets would even be interested in this deal.  Meadows is the ONLY one that has enough value to go back in a package for DeGrom.  Williams is a 5 in a starting rotation.  Nova?  Why?  They would want controllable young talents, now enigmas and a five starter in addition to Meadows. I have seen Glasnow mentioned. Why would they want a young kid that looks more like a bust at this stage? He has had little success in the majors.
DemDog

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by DemDog »

About Glasnow. Most of us are disappointed with how he has turned out so far. I believe he has been passed up by guys like Kingham and soon to be by Keller. He has shown as stated above the ability to be a middle reliever and who knows with his stuff he could become top notch late inning reliever much like the Indians Miller.
BenM

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by BenM »

So, in the absence of a clear injury, was Dickerson pulled tonight because of an imminent trade?
Bobster21

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by Bobster21 »

60474C6F220 wrote: So, in the absence of a clear injury, was Dickerson pulled tonight because of an imminent trade?
According to Greg Brown, they were assured it was not trade related.
BenM

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by BenM »

1C313C2D2A3B2C6C6F5E0 wrote: So, in the absence of a clear injury, was Dickerson pulled tonight because of an imminent trade?
According to Greg Brown, they were assured it was not trade related.

Left hamstring discomfort.