Let the rumor mill begin

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

OrlandoMerced

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I don't think signing Dickerson makes much sense. He's had a pretty up and down career and they already have him through his age 30 season. Might even just make the most sense to let him play out next year and maybe tender him if he's in line for a FA payday.

pghpaulatl

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by pghpaulatl »

I think I'd trade him now if that's the way they look at him. Sign him or trade him now.
dmetz

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by dmetz »

I wouldn't think Dickerson would sign for a team friendly deal like we would need anyway. He's never been out of arb, I would think he would have his eyes on a market deal somewhere it's probably his biggest chance to cash in.

what he's doing is very intereting because it's almost like he's adjusted his hitting recently to drive the ball more as the criticism came in about his lack of slugging. His ability to do that is quite impressive. That's not you're average ML hitter who has that kind of control.

Then again, maybe he was just due to hit some dingers. Hard to say.
Ecbucs

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by Ecbucs »

737A72636D170 wrote: I wouldn't think Dickerson would sign for a team friendly deal like we would need anyway.   He's never been out of arb, I would think he would have his eyes on a market deal somewhere it's probably his biggest chance to cash in.

what he's doing is very intereting because it's almost like he's adjusted his hitting recently to drive the ball more as the criticism came in about his lack of slugging.   His ability to do that is quite impressive.   That's not you're average ML hitter who has that kind of control.

Then again, maybe he was just due to hit some dingers.  Hard to say.

I wonder if pitchers had thought he had taken away his power with his adjustments to cut down on k's and increase average. Now that he has popped a few homers it will be interesting to see if pitchers make an adjustment.
fjk090852-7

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The way they are playing it would be very difficult to trade someone off the 25 man roster. Do not upset the chemistry of this team. If they are going to add a player or players do so by using minor league prospects.
Bobster21

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by Bobster21 »

28212938364C0 wrote: I wouldn't think Dickerson would sign for a team friendly deal like we would need anyway.   He's never been out of arb, I would think he would have his eyes on a market deal somewhere it's probably his biggest chance to cash in.

what he's doing is very intereting because it's almost like he's adjusted his hitting recently to drive the ball more as the criticism came in about his lack of slugging.   His ability to do that is quite impressive.   That's not you're average ML hitter who has that kind of control.

Dickerson always had power with HR seasons of 24, 24 and last year 27. He's also a career .285 hitter so he was never an all or nothing swinger despite a lot of Ks prior to this year. This year he was choking up, rarely striking out and hitting .304 prior to his HR surge in the last 4 games. And although he's hit 5 HRs in those last 4 games, he has a total of 10 hits in that period (10 for 21) for a .476 clip. In addition to the HRs, he's been going the other way with excellent bat control and only 1 K. So it doesn't appear that he's given up his approach that was getting him more hits and fewer Ks. But he's also showing good power. That's about as good as it gets.
SCBucco

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by SCBucco »

575B5A0108010904031C06310 wrote: The way they are playing it would be very difficult to trade someone off the 25 man roster. Do not upset the chemistry of this team. If they are going to add a player or players do so by using minor league prospects.

If you think this team can compete to the end for a wild card, then you add and not deal anyone. If you fail to add and improve, then you may as well deal off assets because there will be some sort of rough patch coming.
RichD

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by RichD »

We should go after a guy like Brandon Drury from the Yanks .They dont have anywhere to play him . He can play 3b /2b and OF . Still young with some mlb stats . This is type guy/player  that finds home and just takes off. Was solid in AZ young getting feet wet ,then traded and lost in NYC shuffle.

Just watch someone will trade a releiver and get a big bat for 3 years .Think Giles /Bay like .
Quail

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by Quail »

While I would love to go after the big fish, Jacob DeGrom, I know how the Pirates operate. They won't part with the prospect package the Mets will ask for, and they won't want a guy whose heading into his arbitration years because of the potential expense, let alone consider a contract extension at the price DeGrom will command.

I think a rental add is about all that is realistic, and I'd like to see them try to get J.A. Happ. That much needed lefty at the top of the rotation would be a nice boost for this team. Don't know what it would take but I want to see a J.A. Happ redux.
notes34

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by notes34 »

200D00111607105053620 wrote: I wouldn't think Dickerson would sign for a team friendly deal like we would need anyway.   He's never been out of arb, I would think he would have his eyes on a market deal somewhere it's probably his biggest chance to cash in.

Dickerson always had power with HR seasons of 24, 24 and last year 27. He's also a career .285 hitter so he was never an all or nothing swinger despite a lot of Ks prior to this year. This year he was choking up, rarely striking out and hitting .304 prior to his HR surge in the last 4 games. And although he's hit 5 HRs in those last 4 games, he has a total of 10 hits in that period (10 for 21) for a .476 clip. In addition to the HRs, he's been going the other way with excellent bat control and only 1 K. So it doesn't appear that he's given up his approach that was getting him more hits and fewer Ks. But he's also showing good power. That's about as good as it gets. 

Yes he is the type of player this organization should be looking to hang onto. I would venture he is our 2nd best player currently. He is not only an above average player, but he has something this team lacks. A high baseball IQ. He is an intelligent player. He probably deserves a 3-4 year deal at this point.