Spring Training Baseball

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Spring Training Baseball

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Can't get out of the 3rd. Gives up a lead off single then a walk (only the 2nd and 3rd baserunners up to that point). With two outs Markakas (sp?) smokes one that Bell should have caught to end the inning. That was the 1st of four straight hits, three hit hard. ~30 pitches in the 3rd. 13 balls. 5 hits. 1 BB.

I'm not expert on pitch selection, but it looked like the vast majority were fast balls 93-95. Few change ups ( unless he throws a change up in the low 90s, 91 or so) and few breaking balls. It simply looked like the Braves figured him out on the second turn through the lineup.

Overall, can't be too encouraged.
CarolinaBucco

Spring Training Baseball

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I know it's only spring training, and I know he's young, but I'm officially worried about Glasnow. Starting to wonder if he's as good as -- or anywhere near as good as -- all the hype. Something's not right.

The No. 5 spot is now Hutchison or Brault, and I'm on the Brault bandwagon. All things considered equal between the two, we need a lefty starter.
fjk090852-7

Spring Training Baseball

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I wonder if Glasnow is a lot like Charlie Morton in that he thinks too much when he is on the mound. Everyone always said that Morton had great stuff, but when he got into a jam on the mound everything would unravel. I am not going to give up on Glasnow, but I am beginning to wonder if he will ever be that ace pitcher which many projected him to be.
IABucFan

Spring Training Baseball

Post by IABucFan »

I think you guys are panicking over a couple of innings in ST. I listened to the radio broadcast of Glasnow's last inning. Sounds like Josh Bell should have made a play that got him out of the inning before all the damage was done. If Bell makes that play, his line score looks a lot different, and people are talking about how we should still be considering him for the fifth spot in the rotation. I don't know if Glasnow will become an ace, a #3, a #5, or a reliever. But I know that he has the potential to be better than Cole. Right now, that's all I need to know.
rucker59@gmail.com

Spring Training Baseball

It's early. I'm guessing they're working on specific pitches. I'm guessing he's not throwing 100% yet. But, and I hate to say this and hope I'm wrong, he looked like he had decent but not great stuff that won't play as a starter. I'm afraid he's a bullpen arm.

Couple other observations:

Bell looks rusty. In the field and at the plate.

Frazier looks good at the plate. Hanson looks good at 3rd and at the plate.

Meadows has drawn two walks. He has "the look". Made a very nice over-the-shoulder catch.
rucker59@gmail.com

Spring Training Baseball

6C6467504663444B250 wrote: I think you guys are panicking over a couple of innings in ST.  I listened to the radio broadcast of Glasnow's last inning.  Sounds like Josh Bell should have made a play that got him out of the inning before all the damage was done.  If Bell makes that play, his line score looks a lot different, and people are talking about how we should still be considering him for the fifth spot in the rotation.  I don't know if Glasnow will become an ace, a #3, a #5, or a reliever.  But I know that he has the potential to be better than Cole.  Right now, that's all I need to know.

You're correct and I mentioned above that Bell should have made a play to get out of the inning untouched.  Maybe that play rattled him, but he was neither fooling or overwhelming anyone after that. 

More important for me, I just didn't see anything that looked like big time potential.  It looked like the breaking ball was up and not a lot of break.  Fast ball didn't seem to move much.

Im not giving up at all.  There must be something there I can't see.  But I look at Meadows and see can't miss potential.  Glasnow, I'm trying to see what the huge potential is.
notes34

Spring Training Baseball

Post by notes34 »

3D3A2C242A3D7A760F28222E2623612C20224F0 wrote: It's early.  I'm guessing they're working on specific pitches.  I'm guessing he's not throwing 100% yet.  But, and I hate to say this and hope I'm wrong, he looked like he had decent but not great stuff that won't play as a starter.  I'm afraid he's a bullpen arm. 

Couple other observations:

Bell looks rusty. In the field and at the plate.

Frazier looks good at the plate.  Hanson looks good at 3rd and at the plate.

Meadows has drawn two walks.  He has "the look".  Made a very nice over-the-shoulder catch.
I was at his start against the Phillies last year and I got the same impression.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Spring Training Baseball

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I think Bell is going to be bad all year in the field. He better hit so no one will care.
skinnyhorse

Spring Training Baseball

Post by skinnyhorse »

i saw where Hurdel said after the Glasnow start that you can't leave your pitches high and make it up here. I've never thought Hurdle was very smart but he cinched it with that statement. It you throw 95 plus you should throw high. But they need to be high strikes or just above the strike zone. Absolutely never understood why they didn't try to get Caminero to throw his 100 mph fastball high and if he had been able to do that no one could hit it. I never ever saw him throw it and I watched a lot of his pitching. Just stupid plain and simple and seems Hurdle just doesn't understand simple things like throw the high hard one, heard and seen it all my life.
rucker59@gmail.com

Spring Training Baseball

657D7F78786F7E79646573160 wrote: i saw where Hurdel said after the Glasnow start that you can't leave your pitches high and make it up here.   I've never thought Hurdle was very smart but he cinched it with that statement.  It you throw 95 plus you should throw high.  But they need to be high strikes or just above the strike zone.  Absolutely never understood why they didn't try to get Caminero to throw his 100 mph fastball high and if he had been able to do that no one could hit it.  I never ever saw him throw it and I watched a lot of his pitching.  Just stupid plain and simple and seems Hurdle just doesn't understand simple things like throw the high hard one, heard and seen it all my life.

The problem though, per my untrained eye, is that anything off speed was up. His fast ball was middlin 93-94 with a couple 95 and they were down in the zone generally, but off speed all looked up. And little break.

Maybe that's what Clint's talking about cause I was definitely thinking Glasnow is going to get crushed with his location.