December Rule 5 Draft

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BellevueBuc

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by BellevueBuc »

In the AAA phase the Pirates selected a few players and lost one.

The lost Samuel Reyes (Pablo's brother). Looked like a relief prospect, and was effective in high A ball, so you would think he would have at least be in the picture for Indy's bullpen, but i guess not. The Pirates also did not protect the full 38 players, so they took a risk and only lost one player.

The Pirates first pick was Shea Spitzbarth, reliever from the Dodgers. JJ Cooper of Baseball America liked the pick. Has pitched well in AA, but run into problems in his brief time in AAA. Solid change that helps his fastball play up.

Claudio Finol SS from the Reds, I assume someone likes his defense, and they have a need for a utility player in A ball. He hit solid his first pro year in the DSL back in 2017, but nothing since.

Jeffrey Passantino Swingman from the Cubs. He went from A ball to AAA in 2019. Was solid all year.

Passantino and Spitzbarth both could be in AAA, and would be bullpen depth to shuttle up and down.
SyrBucco

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by SyrBucco »

Read a good article on the Rule 5 on Tim Williams' site. Sounds like Luis Oviedo - the guy they got in the Mets trade - will be on the 25-man at the start of the season. They're not planning to have Jose Soriano ready for a couple of months, since he's recovering from Tommy John. I guess the plan is to start him off on the 60-day IL.

One guy could be coming off the 25-man close to the time the other is coming off. I like it. Big arms, low cost.
Ecbucs

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by Ecbucs »

1F353E0E392F2F234C0 wrote: Read a good article on the Rule 5 on Tim Williams' site. Sounds like Luis Oviedo - the guy they got in the Mets trade - will be on the 25-man at the start of the season. They're not planning to have Jose Soriano ready for a couple of months, since he's recovering from Tommy John. I guess the plan is to start him off on the 60-day IL.

One guy could be coming off the 25-man close to the time the other is coming off. I like it. Big arms, low cost.

yeah, I wonder if the Angels would have rostered Soriano if not for the TJ surgery.
steve49

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by steve49 »

Looks like the BP will be a hot mess. Man is this team in a "salary dump-rebuild " mode. Taking 2 A ball pitchers with no control along with rumors to move Tallion and Bell. If that rumor is true , that's the ultimate dump as it would for sure men selling very low on both those guys.

Don't get me wrong . Everything considered , I like the rule 5 draft but they will lose pretty much all the fan base if they field a 100 los team. They really could have a decent rotation if they don't trade Musgrove and or Tallion . Plus Reynolds , Newman and Bell could bounce back. Even a remote chance Polanco comes around ? Hey... probably not , just saying that they don't need to dump everyone with a decent size contract.
shedman

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by shedman »

Dumpity Dump Dump, Dumpity Dump Dump

'Look at Benny go.
BellevueBuc

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by BellevueBuc »

6B6C7D6E7D2C21180 wrote: Looks like the BP will be a hot mess. Man is this team in a "salary dump-rebuild " mode. Taking 2 A ball pitchers with no control  along with rumors to move Tallion and Bell. If that rumor is true , that's the ultimate dump as it would for sure men selling very low on both those guys.

Don't get me wrong . Everything considered , I like the rule 5 draft but they will lose pretty much all the fan base if they field a 100 los team. They really could have a decent rotation if they don't trade Musgrove and or Tallion . Plus Reynolds , Newman and Bell could bounce back. Even a remote chance Polanco comes around ? Hey... probably not , just saying that they don't need to dump everyone with a decent size contract.

This team was not making the playoffs in 2021. I dont see how it is a negative to pick up players that can help them make the playoffs in 2022 or 2023. Your assessment of the players drafted is inaccurate.
DemDog

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by DemDog »

6A717C7D747877190 wrote: Dumpity Dump Dump, Dumpity Dump Dump

'Look at Benny go.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Surgnbuck

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by Surgnbuck »

3A212C2D242827490 wrote: Dumpity Dump Dump, Dumpity Dump Dump

'Look at Benny go.

The first Christmas Carol of the season!
steve49

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by steve49 »

597E77777E6D6E7E596E781B0 wrote: Looks like the BP will be a hot mess. Man is this team in a "salary dump-rebuild " mode. Taking 2 A ball pitchers with no control  along with rumors to move Tallion and Bell. If that rumor is true , that's the ultimate dump as it would for sure men selling very low on both those guys.

This team was not making the playoffs in 2021.  I dont see how it is a negative to pick up players that can help them make the playoffs in 2022 or 2023. Your assessment of the players drafted is inaccurate.

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit . The "assessment " is inaccurate ? LOL as I gave no assessment other than to say they have control issues. If they didn't , they wouldn't have been made available. Comprende ? Also I never said it was "negative " or a mistake to draft those 2 players.
BellevueBuc

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by BellevueBuc »

6C6B7A697A2B261F0 wrote: Looks like the BP will be a hot mess. Man is this team in a "salary dump-rebuild " mode. Taking 2 A ball pitchers with no control  along with rumors to move Tallion and Bell. If that rumor is true , that's the ultimate dump as it would for sure men selling very low on both those guys.

This team was not making the playoffs in 2021.  I dont see how it is a negative to pick up players that can help them make the playoffs in 2022 or 2023. Your assessment of the players drafted is inaccurate.

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit . The "assessment " is inaccurate ? LOL as I gave no assessment other than to say they have control issues. If they didn't , they wouldn't have been made available. Comprende ? Also I never said it was "negative " or a mistake to draft those 2 players.

Well it is not accurate that they both have control issues. Comprende?