4/29 game thread. Kingham vs Cards

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I hate running on contact when not forced at third. Diaz didn't even have a big lead. He should have started home then stopped. He could have forced the throw and then went back to third.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Kingham: 7 IP, 1 hit, 0 BB, 9 Ks. 98 pitches, 72 strikes. Retired first 20 batters.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Incredible debut.

I can't imagine there have been many debuts in MLB history in which a pitcher began his career with 6.2 PERFECT innings. I'm guessing it's happened a handful of times, maybe, but not many. Truly an historic debut for Kingham.

Of course he can't posssibly be THIS good ... but maybe he will still be really good and can take Brault's spot in the rotation.

dogknot17@yahoo.co

I was at Brandon Cumpton's debut against Clayton Kershaw and the Dodgers. Cumpton struck out five of the first six batters he faced.

People will remember this start for Kingham too. Great debut with all the injury struggles. I'd give him another start for sure.

Now, let's just finish this sweep of the not in first anymore Cardinals.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Raise it.

Swept the first place Cardinals.

16-11
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

6A61696560617A3F394E776F666161206D610E0 wrote: Raise it.

16-11

Umm...17-11 ;)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

112D2B2D363F29305E0 wrote: Raise it.

16-11

Umm...17-11 ;)

Ugh. Thanks. I just went to modify that. You caught me.

17-11
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

Random thoughts.... I saw Kingham pitch in Indy last year and was impressed with his repeatable, power delivery. He was hardly untouchable that day though. Today he was top-shelf and a joy to watch.

Santana has a power, un-repeatable delivery. He has some weapons though. Really liked that change-up to whiff Carpenter. Santana will be inconsistent, but he is growing on me.

Polanco is now hitting .195, but the Cards have Wong, Fowler, and Carpenter (.155) all under .200. We complain about Polanco, but I think Marcel Ozuna has a sloppy swing. I would be surprised if he ever matches his 2017 numbers.

Same for Greg Holland. He hasn't be dominant for a few years, and he was a late signing who is likely behind. But I was not impressed with what I saw this weekend. Wouldn't it be a shame if the Cards big-money investments under-produced all year?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7E79554254370 wrote: Random thoughts....    I saw Kingham pitch in Indy last year and was impressed with his repeatable, power delivery.  He was hardly untouchable that day though.  Today he was top-shelf and a joy to watch.

Santana has a power, un-repeatable delivery.   He has some weapons though.  Really liked that change-up to whiff Carpenter.  Santana will be inconsistent, but he is growing on me.

Polanco is now hitting .195, but the Cards have Wong, Fowler, and Carpenter  (.155) all under .200.  We complain about Polanco, but I think Marcel Ozuna has a sloppy swing.  I would be surprised if he ever matches his 2017 numbers.

Same for Greg Holland.  He hasn't be dominant for a few years, and he was a late signing who is likely behind.   But I was not impressed with what I saw this weekend.   [highlight]Wouldn't  it be a shame if the Cards big-money investments under-produced all year?[/highlight]

Answer to your highlighted question: NO.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Well unfortunately Wong is a 2bman, and Fowler is a bad-glove CF with substantially better career hitting numbers.  That doesn't make Polanco better.  Not to mention, Carpenter has a history that a guy like Polanco can only dream about.

The guy flat out needs to start getting it done there are no more excuses for him.  It's amazing that he's on pace for like 25+hrs but still putting up sub-par numbers.