December Rule 5 Draft

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Appears Bucs are bringing back Gonzalez on a one year contract $1.225 million.
mouse

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by mouse »

I wonder what that means for Tucker, Newman, and Frazier. I would have to think they can trade Frazier (hopefully the plan isn't to make him the left-fielder).
BellevueBuc

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by BellevueBuc »

785558494E5F48080B3A0 wrote: Are we anticipating a lot of cuts from the Arb eligible players? I'm seeing one or two who may go but not an extensive list.
My guess would be no more than three players. Feliz, Gonzalez and Crick would be my choices.

Agree on that, and they could even add a few more relievers they could cut, but those are the 3 arbitration players that really do not need to be around anymore. I would rather seem them get rid of those 3 and trade a couple more arb players, and sign better players that will be out there.  Many (all) of their arb players are not exactly young or particularly good that they warrant keeping long term.
I agree that those 3 players should go. But the Pirates seem to love Gonzalez and Crick. Spotrac estimates their 2021 salaries at Gonzalez-1.5 mil, Feliz-1.1 mil, Crick $850,000. I can't see them paying that much to watch Feliz continue to fail. But they don't seem to mind Crick's inability to throw strikes or Gonzalez' mediocrity. So I suspect those 2 will return over my objection.

All three suck.  Waiver wire material. Just like Huntington, Cherington seems to wait to stick with the guys you know suck instead of going out to see if different players dont suck.

The Pirates love affair with making decent infielders like Frazier into bad outfielders is one of life's greatest mysteries. Apparently that is the plan. I guess that is better than making bad or unproven infielders into OFs, which they also still do.
Surgnbuck

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by Surgnbuck »

Pirates take Jose Soriano from the Angels with the first pick in the rule 5 draft
BellevueBuc

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by BellevueBuc »

Pirates picked Jose Soriano from the Angels. Was ranked low teens in the Angels system. Coming off TJS, was a starter, but profiled as a reliever even before the injury. Hits high 90s.
mouse

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by mouse »

Control issues, apparently. Should prove an interesting challenge for the development people.
BellevueBuc

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by BellevueBuc »

18 players picked.

Pirates passed on a second choice.

Yankees and Dodgers had 3 players picked each from their systems. Pirates had none.

AAA phase will be next.
DemDog

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by DemDog »

The Mets took Luis Oviedo from Cleveland and then traded him to the Pirates for cash considerations per MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo

Oviedo Stats from Baseball Redfrence
BellevueBuc

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by BellevueBuc »

I was a little surprised the Pirates did not pick another player to fill the 40 man. Makes sense now, they traded for Luis Oviedo, the Mets pick. Pretty similar to Soriano, except he is not coming off TJS.
BellevueBuc

December Rule 5 Draft

Post by BellevueBuc »

25040C250E06610 wrote: The Mets took Luis Oviedo from Cleveland and then traded him to the Pirates for cash considerations per MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo

Oviedo Stats from Baseball Redfrence

Oviedo was actually thought to be the top prospect in last years draft, but teams passed. He was very inconsistent, but he was 20 in full season ball. Scouts have him as a backend starter, but sticking with the Pirates, he would work as a reliever with the high velocity. Obviously these players are unprotected for a reason, but the Pirates did as good as you could do.