Bryan Reynolds

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Bryan Reynolds

Post by fjk090852-7 »

32352437247578410 wrote: https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1718739/ ... ers-moves/

good read

Mariners have some young prospect pitchers who would help the Pirates future. Every day I go back and forth about trading Reynolds, but if the Pirates can acquire additional pitching to go along with their young pitchers, their future should be very bright. If they make a trade I hope it happens sooner rather than later, but don’t make a trade without getting the proper return.
GreenWeenie

Bryan Reynolds

Post by GreenWeenie »

IMO, no return is "proper" unless it benefits the 2023 team. Failure to get it means that Reynolds returns for 2023 whether he likes it or not.
UtahPirate

Bryan Reynolds

Post by UtahPirate »

Given our pitching demands, I found this article interesting:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/rang ... -outfield/
fjk090852-7

Bryan Reynolds

Post by fjk090852-7 »

774255555E6755555E5955300 wrote: IMO, no return is "proper" unless it benefits the 2023 team.  Failure to get it means that Reynolds returns for 2023 whether he likes it or not.
I am beginning to think that there won’t be a team to meet the Pirates demands at this time, so Reynolds will open the season with the Pirates. Possibly a deal will happen close to the trading deadline in July.
GreenWeenie

Bryan Reynolds

Post by GreenWeenie »

I expect the Pirates to take what they can get for him. I'd be surprised if he wears a Pirates uniform on Opening Day.

No one wants an employee who doesn't want to be there. It's just not a good situation in the wider view.

This is why I'm not critical of the FO for not having extended him. I'm left with the impression that Reynolds wants to play elsewhere. I don't consider this a knock on the Pirates or the city by any means. I consider it a person's perogative to live or work where they are happy.
mouse

Bryan Reynolds

Post by mouse »

I don't have the sense he wants to play elsewhere. It's more that he wants to be paid at market rates. The team offer (if the reports are correct) was 12.5 MM a year for six years. If he is as good as it seems he is, market rate is a lot higher than $12.5MM for the years being locked up.
Bobster21

Bryan Reynolds

Post by Bobster21 »

526770707B4270707B7C70150 wrote: I expect the Pirates to take what they can get for him.  I'd be surprised if he wears a Pirates uniform on Opening Day.

No one wants an employee who doesn't want to be there.  It's just not a good situation in the wider view.

This is why I'm not critical of the FO for not having extended him.  I'm left with the impression that Reynolds wants to play elsewhere.  I don't consider this a knock on the Pirates or the city by any means.  I consider it a person's perogative to live or work where they are happy.
I look at the Reynolds situation in terms of how the Pirates operate.

Other teams have always inquired about him but there was no interest in trading him because (A) he's their best player, (2) as such, he helps puts fans in the seats by giving the team the best chance to win and (III) trading him would further alienate an already frustrated fan base. When he requested a trade it made them serious about listening to offers but not compelled to deal him unless overwhelmed by the offer.

The rebuilding team that emphasizes playing prospects and minimal spending just spent 5 million to add a declining Cutch near the end of his career in what appears to be more of a generous goodwill gesture to him and to the fans than a move to add productivity to the lineup. This flies in the face of their normal operating pattern. Unless....

This prioritizes granting Reynold's wish to be traded. The combined 11.75 million currently owed he and Cutch would be reduced to just the 5 million for Cutch, which is less than what they were going to pay Reynolds this year. Financially, it's consistent with how the team normally operates. The fans who would be angry at trading Reynolds will be satisfied to have the popular Cutch instead. That solves a potential PR problem related to any Reynolds trade.

If I'm right about this, it means they will prioritize trading Reynolds without waiting to be overwhelmed by the offer. The deal would probably involve several prospects and maybe a 2nd tier MLB player just so they can say they got a major leaguer in the deal (maybe a utility infielder since they are in need of a backup SS).

If they hold onto Reynolds it will signal a much needed change in how they operate. But I don't believe they are going to change their ways. The Cutch signing, as nice as it is, is likely part 1 of a 2-part process culminating in the trading of Reynolds.
GreenWeenie

Bryan Reynolds

Post by GreenWeenie »

042924353223347477460 wrote: I expect the Pirates to take what they can get for him.  I'd be surprised if he wears a Pirates uniform on Opening Day.

No one wants an employee who doesn't want to be there.  It's just not a good situation in the wider view.

This is why I'm not critical of the FO for not having extended him.  I'm left with the impression that Reynolds wants to play elsewhere.  I don't consider this a knock on the Pirates or the city by any means.  I consider it a person's perogative to live or work where they are happy.
I look at the Reynolds situation in terms of how the Pirates operate.

Other teams have always inquired about him but there was no interest in trading him because (A) he's their best player, (2) as such, he helps puts fans in the seats by giving the team the best chance to win and (III) trading him would further alienate an already frustrated fan base. When he requested a trade it made them serious about listening to offers but not compelled to deal him unless overwhelmed by the offer.

The rebuilding team that emphasizes playing prospects and minimal spending just spent 5 million to add a declining Cutch near the end of his career in what appears to be more of a generous goodwill gesture to him and to the fans than a move to add productivity to the lineup. This flies in the face of their normal operating pattern. Unless....

This prioritizes granting Reynold's wish to be traded. The combined 11.75 million currently owed he and Cutch would be reduced to just the 5 million for Cutch, which is less than what they were going to pay Reynolds this year. Financially, it's consistent with how the team normally operates. The fans who would be angry at trading Reynolds will be satisfied to have the popular Cutch instead. That solves a potential PR problem related to any Reynolds trade.

If I'm right about this, it means they will prioritize trading Reynolds without waiting to be overwhelmed by the offer. The deal would probably involve several prospects and maybe a 2nd tier MLB player just so they can say they got a major leaguer in the deal (maybe a utility infielder since they are in need of a backup SS).

If they hold onto Reynolds it will signal a much needed change in how they operate. But I don't believe they are going to change their ways. The Cutch signing, as nice as it is, is likely part 1 of a 2-part process culminating in the trading of Reynolds.

Right.  He wants to play elsewhere so that he can get paid what he's looking for.  There could be additional reasons, but the bottom line is- he wants to play elsewhere.
fjk090852-7

Bryan Reynolds

Post by fjk090852-7 »

484A505640250 wrote: I don't have the sense he wants to play elsewhere. It's more that he wants to be paid at market rates. The team offer (if the reports are correct) was 12.5 MM a year for six years. If he is as good as it seems he is, market rate is a lot higher than $12.5MM for the years being locked up.
Several weeks have gone by since Reynolds requested a trade. We know the Pirates want a haul if they trade him. I have this sense they are going to make him another offer when he reports to ST.
fjk090852-7

Bryan Reynolds

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I am sure the Pirates have discussed this scenario, and I am sure it won’t happen. Today it was announced that Bo Bichette signed a three year contract to avoid his 3 years of arbitration. The money given to Bichette has not yet been published, but why don’t the Bucs draft up a two year agreement along the lines which Bichette will receive in his second and third year of arbitration and make that proposal to Reynolds. If he wants to test free agency after 2025 so be it. At least we would retain our best player for three full additional seasons.