Trade deadline salary contest

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

213A37363F333C520 wrote: The Pirates have traded for Austin Davis from the Phillies at a salary of $565,000.  As of now Greenweenie has the lead with his prediction of $0.

So is this a good thing or not?  BC got off his hands, stopped looking out his window, and made a trade.  Is it bad because this guy looks worse than what we have, or is it good because he made a trade?  Help me understand.
-_____

Are you intentionally trying to be obtuse.  I make no comment on whether acquiring Davis is good or bad but rather that he acquired another LMG for a $565,000 addition to the salary level.  As soon as Cherington acquires a major league ball player, I will rush to my keyboard to commend him.  In the meantime, I will tabulate additions or subtractions to the team salary for the purpose of this contest.

Not being obtuse at all.  I'm just trying to understand when BC does something if it's right or wrong.  You've insisted that he "do something" so, when he obtained this Davis fellow today, I assumed that was "something" good.  But earlier you wanted the payroll to be at $125 million, I knew Davis wasn't going to get us there, so I assumed that was "something" bad.  I know it can't be both good and bad so I'm trying to figure out if I should be happy or angry.
shedman

Post by shedman »

Since our unreduced team salary is approximately $60 million according to COTS, no one player acquisition would take us from $60 million to $125 million. I hope that the acquisition of Davis is just one small step of many that would get us to $125 million. It is better than sitting there looking out the window, but Cherington will really have to pick up the pace to get to $125 million.
2drfischer@gmail.c

28333E3F363A355B0 wrote: Since our unreduced team salary is approximately $60 million according to COTS, no one player acquisition would take us from $60 million to $125 million.  I hope that the acquisition of Davis is just one small step of many that would get us to $125 million.  It is better than sitting there looking out the window, but Cherington will really have to pick up the pace to get to $125 million.

This doesn't help.  Davis is an LMG.  You've expressed hate for those guys for years.  His salary gets the Pirates no closer to $125 million because his merely replaces the guy's who was sent packing.  Earlier, you said you wanted action "right now".  Help me to understand how this is better than looking out the window.
shedman

Post by shedman »

Good job Ben, but at least you have Cole Tucker to play in his place.

Marte ended up driving in a run on his triple in the eighth inning, his 12 runs on the 2020 season. The triple was the speedy outfielder's first in an Arizona uniform. The 31-year-old outfielder has had some struggles as of late, as he's still hitting just .243 over his last 10 games. Still, Marte's first season with the Diamondbacks has been a success, as seen in his .318/.397/.464 slash with two homes and five stolen bases over 30 games played.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Are my posts not being seen, or have I been boycotted on this board?

Where's my prediction?
shedman

Post by shedman »

EcBucs +$7 million

skinnyhorse +$5 million

Greenweenie - 0

Surgnbuck -$4 million

SCBucco -$4.5 million

Mouse -$5 million

Doc -8.25 million

fjk090852-7 -$9.25 million

Wildwood Dave -$10.5 million

Shedman -$13.3 million
shedman

Post by shedman »

Our leader remains Greenweenie with his prediction of $0
shedman

Post by shedman »

Jarrod Dyson has been salary dumped to the White Sox for nothing. The net salary change is now -$1,435,000. Greenweenie has the lead but Surgnbuck is hot on his heels.
2drfischer@gmail.c

4C575A5B525E513F0 wrote: Jarrod Dyson has been salary dumped to the White Sox for nothing.  The net salary change is now -$1,435,000.  Greenweenie  has the lead but Surgnbuck is hot on his heels.

Some salary dumps are better than others, even if Nutting benefits. This was one of them. Now I can't wait for the Polanco dump.
shedman

Post by shedman »

Why do you like BOB so much. I would rather see Dyson get the money than BOB.